Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Off Topic Chat Sign & Digital 2012 – Anyone going?

• Robert Lambie

March 25, 2012 at 10:58 am

see, now your coming round to my thinking. 😉 :lol1:

• Paul Hughes

March 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Hi all

just got home from setting up the sign makers workshop.

the show is starting to come together with the alot of stands coming in tomorrow

look forward to seeing you all there

Paul

Attachments:

• Aaron Zammit

March 26, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Looking good!!! Will defenitly see me at d workshops 🙂

• Martin Cole

March 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Not going this year 🙁 due to work commitments

Have a good time to those of you who are (drink1)

• Robert Lambie

March 26, 2012 at 2:19 pm

i am same martin, seriously cannot afford the time off work. but at same time, cannot afford not to attend.

so who’s round is it anyway? ill be there late lunchtime tomorrow and leave around closing time Thursday. :lol1:

• Martin Cole

March 26, 2012 at 2:34 pm
    quote Robert Lambie:

so who’s round is it anyway?

Georgeio will get them in..It’s always his round 😀

• Robert Lambie

March 26, 2012 at 2:51 pm

:lol1: this is true…

😉

• John Harding

March 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm
    quote :

Georgeio will get them in..It’s always his round

who you callin round Martin 😀 (bully)

Rob I be there for a beer wed/thurs hope youve got the entertainment sorted 😀

• Derek Heron

March 26, 2012 at 3:23 pm

heading that way tomorrow might pop in but will be their weds all day with gareth and his bad neck
    well hopefully

derek

• John Thomson

March 26, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Heading down to the show in the morning…..2 nights away from work and it feels like I’m going on holiday 😀

john

• Robert Walker

March 26, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I’m going down tomorrow, bringing the old ball n’ Jane with me, try and convince her we need some new machinery 🙂

• Robert Lambie

March 26, 2012 at 8:58 pm

i usually enjoy the break too john, just got so much happening just now 3 days feels like a fortnight. still… i plan enjoying it, always loads to see and folk to meet.

• John Thomson

March 26, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Is it just me or does everyone have to work like mad to be able to take a couple of days off….the joys of being self employed 🙄
    I enjoy the show and meeting up with people too much to miss it.

John

• Robert Lambie

March 27, 2012 at 9:18 am

well i’m off to catch my train now. see you at the show. for those that have not met me before, listen carefully or ask me to slow down, i dont come with subtitles. :lol1: 😉

• Harry Cleary

March 27, 2012 at 9:23 am
    quote Robert Lambie:

well i’m off to catch my train now. see you at the show. for those that have not met me before, listen carefully or ask me to slow down, i dont come with subtitles. :lol1: 😉

tut tut 🙄 Can’t spell either……it’s ‘subtleties’ 😀

• Robert Lambie

March 27, 2012 at 9:34 am

Your Irish Harry, you cant spoke proper England either mate. 😉

• Nicola McIntosh

March 27, 2012 at 9:58 am
    quote Robert Lambie:

i dont come with subtitles. :lol1: 😉

just a few breezers :lol1: :lol1:

• Daniel Warren

March 27, 2012 at 11:24 am

I’m going to whip up for 10am tomorrow.

I’l be spending my time watching over the workshop trying to get hands on and learn as much as I can 😀

• Robert Lambie

March 27, 2012 at 11:31 am

on the train and making my way down. ended up slightly later leaving as i wanted a direct train with no changes. allows me to get some work down. that said, already having a cold beer…. i excuse is its a hot day. 😉

nik, no breezer sold in buffet car. 😉

• Nicola McIntosh

March 27, 2012 at 11:47 am
    quote Robert Lambie:

already having a cold beer….

lucky you…wish it was me :lol1:

• Robert Lambie

March 27, 2012 at 11:58 am

almost had a couple with john wilson in Glasgow before leaving but didn’t manage due to time. if he is down tomorrow im sure we will make up for it. 😀

• David Rowland

March 27, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Thursday now sadly
    ARSE

• Warren Beard

March 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm

still won’t be making it, I’ve got a nice big empty space in the middle of my office now waiting for my delivery tomorrow, yay :punk:

• Aaron Zammit

March 27, 2012 at 7:17 pm
    quote Paul Hughes:

Hi all

just got home from setting up the sign makers workshop.

the show is starting to come together with the alot of stands coming in tomorrow

look forward to seeing you all there

Paul

Hi paul, today I was at one of your workshops, sorry I did not recognize u :). See u tomorrow

• Jason Thorpe

March 27, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Talk about commitment to my printer.
    I’ll be finishing a grueling night shift then heading down to the show, then back in time for another night shift.
    Better concentrate on getting some good R&R time tonight (sleep) .

• Hugh Potter

March 27, 2012 at 9:25 pm
    quote John Thomson:

Is it just me or does everyone have to work like mad to be able to take a couple of days off….the joys of being self employed 🙄
    I enjoy the show and meeting up with people too much to miss it.

John

that’s my problem, work my nuts off to clear my workload and then loads more comes in, this is always a very busy time of year for me, the worst time of year for a show! tomorrow is now highly unlikely, possibly thursday but not looking good now as no-one to have the kids!!

• Tim Painter

March 28, 2012 at 11:05 am

Love to here any comments on this years show?

Struggling to get there for the last day 🙄

• Warren Beard

March 28, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Delivery arrived today :punk: :funky: :pink: :breakdance: :cheer: :dance1:

Attachments:

• David Rowland

March 28, 2012 at 3:29 pm

someones spent some money!

• Daniel Warren

March 28, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Enjoyed Paul’s workshop. Some good pointers. Learnt a new trick with the old tube to lay application tape. Didn’t realise it was being hosted by a member off here until I just noticed the picture on the previous page. Well done Paul.

Robert, think I recognised you in Wetherspoons a second ago. Were you sporting a waistcoat?

• Ian Pople

March 28, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Yes very good presentation thanks Paul.

And very tempted to get the new Epson at 9k ummmmm

Ian

• Scott.Evans

March 28, 2012 at 5:06 pm
    quote Warren Beard:

whats youre feedback on this bit of kit?
    what make is it?

iam going to the show tomorrow looking at getting one 🙂 😀

• Warren Beard

March 28, 2012 at 6:29 pm
    quote Scott.Evans:

quote Warren Beard:

whats youre feedback on this bit of kit?
    what make is it?

iam going to the show tomorrow looking at getting one 🙂 😀

Hey Scott

A bit early to tell but I had a job waiting for it to arrive which was 3m x 1.3m full digit print on composite, this took less than 5 minutes to apply and went down perfectly.

I can’t compare it to anything else and am sure they all do the same at the end of the day. I went with the rapid applicator as I felt it had one or two more advantages for my needs, both the rapid applicator (Robert Horne) and the rolls roller (William Smith) offers were the same so it was just a matter of what was the best option for me at the time and it went the rapid applicator way but am sure both machines are as good as each other.

The rapid applicator is not demo’ed at the show but speak to the guys there anyway about it.

I think for a one man band who can afford it then it will help you more than anything else out there. Solid good piece of kit.

Cheers

Warren

• Nicola McIntosh

March 28, 2012 at 6:40 pm

nice one warren you will love it…and wish you had bought one ages ago 😀

nik

• Kevin Flowers

March 28, 2012 at 9:14 pm

leaving early in the morning to arrive at opening time for the show hope to see a few of you guys down there

Kev

• Jason Thorpe

March 28, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I am so glad I went down to the show today, even though it meant going in between nightshifts, from my main job.

Lots of very helpful and friendly staff on the stands I visited and spoke to.
    Some really great products discovered and it might be a difficult job choosing between them but I have definitely found what I was looking for and more.

I also spied Robert in his waistcoat but time was pressing and didn’t have chance to stop him and introduce myself, maybe next time.

I am so tempted to re-sell my JV3 on fleabay and just lease a new machine form Grafityp. The capabilities of some of the machines on show was simply amazing.

• David Rowland

March 29, 2012 at 5:05 am

Hello from Birmingham … Will be at show when gates open

• Ian Pople

March 29, 2012 at 7:18 am

Dave you are up early 😀

Ian

• Neil Davey

March 29, 2012 at 7:54 am

Saw Rob and had a brief chat yesterday, he looked very dapper!!! Also spoke to Derek. We were pushed for time so couldn’t meet up for a drink 🙁
    The show wasn’t as big this year, I didn’t think, and a few of the big names were missing.
    Had a good chat with some suppliers and made some new connections.
    A bonus was the drive up and back with the roof down on the MX5 but i’ve got a sunburnt forehead today 😕

• Chris Windebank

March 29, 2012 at 8:21 am

Well worth going for me, bumped into Derek Heron, John Harding and James Deacon.

2 of the suppliers I went to see were not there, should have checked first but made some good contacts.

Glad to see Brian at Impact got a stand at the last minute too

• Paul Hughes

March 29, 2012 at 7:46 pm

good to see some of you over the show.

glad some of the stuff we did was of use to some of you, thats what we are there for, makes it all worth while.

very busy 3 days, just go back from packing up and now all i want is pizza and bed

Paul

• Kevin Flowers

March 29, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Good to see Rob, Dave Rowland & John Thompson today i found the show to be quieter today which meant you could get product info easier

Kev

• John Thomson

March 29, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I drove back up to Scotland this afternoon……… thoroughly enjoyed the show this year……nice to catchup up with people.

Thanks to Brett and Pete for the chat and a beer on the Roland stand, bumped into Cameron Steer from Robert Horme, Kevin Flowers, spoke to the the two Stephens from I-Spy……bumped into Rob in Wetherspoons at lunch……texted big Dave Rowland but didn’t get to see him.

Thanks to all the laser suppliers for all the tips and tricks even when they knew I wasn’t going to buy from them……even the Redsail dealer who was p1ssed that I imported mine direct and didn’t buy from him….scaremongering telling me my machine was not CE approved because he didn’t supply it ( it is….I have the certificate!).

The Chinese staff on the Galaxy Printek stand spent a lot of time answering my questions in excellent English always with a smile……I was there for 3 days and the stand was always fully manned…..do they ever take a break?……..liked the 1.8m twin DX5 head solvent printer…..that also prints onto board up to 8mm thick…..print quality and speed look good and the machine itself was simple and well built.

Got myself some stretcher bars, canvas pliers so will have a go at some stretched canvases.

Digiprint Supplies were happy to chat and gave out a magnification tool for inspecting print alignment when I said I was already a customer.

T shirt printer was incredible but at over 100K it should be!

Item of the show for the future? HP’s 3D printer…….15K but you can get a Makerbot to do the same for 1K……..soon everyone will have one of these on their desk…………….

Alopogies to those whose names I missed.

John

• David Hammond

March 30, 2012 at 4:55 am

Didn’t make it this year, loads going on, should be on the move shortly.

I did manage to Visit the robert horne open day. Thing that stuck in my mind, was the epson 64in solvent printer for 10k… 😮

An ugly machine, but print quality and price were excellent. Massive printer for twice the cost of a BN-20?

Don’t know if it was down at the show? Anyone else see it?

• David Rowland

March 30, 2012 at 7:56 am

A last minute decision and we drove up wednesday after an eventful week with printer breakdowns.

Bumped into Stafford Cox and some supplier friends, then Robbie with John Harding on Wednesday night, then next day we spent the day at signuk seeing quite a lot of items.

We bumped into Robbie, John Harding, Tim Paynter (change your profile pic!!), Kevin Flowers, Rob K. I tried to distract Paul Hughes presenting and he stayed calm, too much concentrating lol.

To be honest, we had a lot of things to do so made use of Thursday.

With regards the Epson GS and the new one, my advise to anyone looking at both of those printers is to LOOK hard at the durability before making a purchase!

• John Harding

March 30, 2012 at 8:52 am

Great to see you guys also Rob, Chris, Dave, Cameron, Derek and many more.

Great Holiday 😀

• Robert Lambie

March 30, 2012 at 10:46 am

Had a brilliant 3 days, but… Oh my head… (puppy-eyes)

there was a show?
    damn. knew i had forgot something…. :shake:

• Dominic Fowler

March 30, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Regards the new S30600, I wanted to clear up the outdoor life.

For GS6000 8 colour we have always quoted one year
    For S30600 4 colour it’s 3 years unlamented on vinyl

We’re aware of lots of rumors floating around about the printers performance etc, which is why we took two to SignUK for all to see printing at various modes.

I’m happy to answer any questions

mod-edit

• Richard

March 30, 2012 at 7:34 pm
    quote Dominic Fowler:

That performance is lamentable… or laminatable?

• David Rowland

March 30, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Yep, exactly… the new Epson model is really geared towards the sign maker more then a fine arts printer imo.

• Dominic Fowler

March 31, 2012 at 12:07 pm
    quote Richard:

quote Dominic Fowler:

Ah, definitely ‘un-laminated’.

The printer was designed and built by Epson from the ground up as a Sign makers printer.

• John Wilson

April 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm
    quote Robert Lambie:

almost had a couple with john wilson in Glasgow before leaving but didn’t manage due to time. if he is down tomorrow im sure we will make up for it. 😀

Yeah it would have been nice if you’d phoned me to say you couldn’t make it though…. i was on my 4th pint and it was only 1pm so wasn’t too fussed :lol1: :lol1:

• Martin Pearson

April 1, 2012 at 9:08 pm
    quote Dominic Fowler:

quote Richard:

quote Dominic Fowler:

Ah, definitely ‘un-laminated’.

The printer was designed and built by Epson from the ground up as a Sign makers printer.

Dominic, obviously there are differing opinions but personally I would still always laminate any sort of vehicle livery despite claims by suppliers that there is no need to laminate. General road conditions & the chemicals used for washing will take the colour out of prints over time even if the sun doesn’t.
    It’s obviously done to ensure abrasion resistance rather than uv fading.

Didn’t make the show (again) so haven’t seen the machine in question.

Might have a better chance next year if there is to be a show in London as I will be able to travel down & stay with my parents for a few days.

• David Rowland

April 3, 2012 at 7:32 pm

$this->auto_embed_video(‘http://www.youtube.com/v/EVpm41z9lfs?version=3&hl=en_US’, ‘560’, ‘340’)

Let’s play spot the UKSB member?

• David Rowland

April 3, 2012 at 11:05 pm

anyone? its staring right at ya!

• Robert Lambie

April 4, 2012 at 12:39 am

Kev 😉

• David Rowland

April 5, 2012 at 10:07 am

you got it… Kevin Flowers stood next to Brett i think, normally myself and Bruce end up in the videos/photos but not this year lol

• John Wilson

April 5, 2012 at 11:26 am
    quote Dave Rowland:

normally myself and Bruce end up in the videos/photos but not this year lol

That sounds gayer than that time we shared a room 🙄

• Robert Lambie

April 5, 2012 at 10:14 pm
    quote John Wilson:

quote Dave Rowland:

True mate, well… that and the fact you shared a single bed. 😉 :lol1: :lol1:

Dave its not Brett Newman mate.

• John Wilson

April 6, 2012 at 2:52 pm
    quote Robert Lambie:

quote John Wilson:

quote Dave Rowland:

True mate, well… that and the fact you shared a single bed. 😉 :lol1: :lol1:

Dave its not Brett Newman mate.

It was a double bed to start with… we got it changed to two singles… the fact that dave still tried to get into the bed with me has scared me for life!!!

• Robert Lambie

April 6, 2012 at 3:15 pm

rubbish… big Dave told me you both shared a hammock and he rocked you too sleep whilst spooning. :yikes:

😉 :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

or was that, "rocked yer world" he meant? 😕

confused.com

• David Rowland

April 6, 2012 at 6:37 pm

i know i kept those who I shared with up all night long!!

• Robert Lambie

April 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm
    quote Dave Rowland:

stop boasting dave, poor johns never been the same since mate. 😉

• John Wilson

April 6, 2012 at 7:20 pm
    quote Robert Lambie:

quote Dave Rowland:

stop boasting dave, poor johns never been the same since mate. 😉

😮 😮 😮 😮 😮 😮 😮 😮 😮

• Robert Lambie

April 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm

John, we did a sign for a reputable councilor for victims of sign abuse mate. if you ever get that low mate, feel free to contact me and i will forward you the details.
    Dave seems to think buying you a happy meal will make the pain of two nights with him in your room at Sign & Digital will make the pain go away. 😉 :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• Phill Fenton

April 6, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I was also going to chip in with some words of solace John, but realise nothing I can say will make the pain (and guilt 😕 ) go away…

…..Dave….. you bad bad person you :wedgey:

• Robert Lambie

April 6, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Phill, he doesn’t care mate… word is "he recons he is owed it"!!!!

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• John Harding

April 7, 2012 at 1:28 pm

whilst we seem to be on the topic of improper liasons

Rob remember the last bar (last week) and have you phoned that guys nan yet? 😀 😀 😀

• Robert Lambie

April 7, 2012 at 3:08 pm
    quote John Harding:

whilst we seem to be on the topic of improper liasons

Rob remember the last bar (last week) and have you phoned that guys nan yet? 😀 😀 😀

yeh, the place was like something out of "Lock Stock…."

:lol1: :lol1: yeh took her for a pint too mate. 😉
    he even put her name on it "Kelly" i mean, who asks a total stranger to drop in on their Nan and ALSO gives me her number? 😮 :lol1:

• Dominic Fowler

April 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm
    quote Martin:

Dominic, obviously there are differing opinions but personally I would still always laminate any sort of vehicle livery despite claims by suppliers that there is no need to laminate. General road conditions & the chemicals used for washing will take the colour out of prints over time even if the sun doesn’t.
    It’s obviously done to ensure abrasion resistance rather than uv fading.

Didn’t make the show (again) so haven’t seen the machine in question.

Might have a better chance next year if there is to be a show in London as I will be able to travel down & stay with my parents for a few days.

I’d agree with you, Martin. To me it makes sense and offers added protection to your work.

Page 2 of 2