Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Off Topic Chat John Childs. Passed away May 3rd 2010

• Darren St Ledger

May 6, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Very sad to hear of the loss of such a well respected man.

I have been a hidden member of uksignboards.com for the past couple of years – simply using this terrific site as a source of reference for the industry I find myself involved with.This is my first ever post.

Although Mr Childs and myself were complete strangers – I always read with great interest the helpful and informative responses he offered to the other UKSB members questions that had been posted.

After reading all of the many tributes for Mr Childs – I believe UKSB member Martin Cole, who referred to him as ‘The Godfather of UKSB’ – has described him perfectly…

May I offer my condolences to his family – and my sympathies to each of you who knew him personally.

R.I.P. Mr Childs.

• Peter Normington

May 6, 2010 at 8:09 pm
    quote Darren St Ledger:

I have been a hidden member of uksignboards.com for the past couple of years – simply using this terrific site as a source of reference for the industry I find myself involved with.This is my first ever post.

Although Mr Childs and myself were complete strangers – I always read with great interest the helpful and informative responses he offered to the other UKSB members questions that had been posted.

After reading all of the many tributes for Mr Childs – I believe UKSB member Martin Cole, who referred to him as ‘The Godfather of UKSB’ – has described him perfectly…

May I offer my condolences to his family – and my sympathies to each of you who knew him personally.

R.I.P. Mr Childs.

thank you Darren,
    very kind words,
    For us that did know John personally,
    you echo our thoughts, from a non personal perspective,
    it only goes to validate what a good geezer he was

Peter

• Phill Fenton

May 6, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I’ve just been reading Johns introductory thread which was posted in 2002
    https://www.uksignboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=1707&highlight=

What an unassuming person.

quote :

As I say, I am happy to help but I think I am more likely to learn more from you guys with your wider experience.

Nothing could be further from the truth – he advised me and other folks so much behind the scenes and had an amazing ability to see through all the bullshit but still remained kind with his replies. Someone to look up to and respect. He was a mentor to me and many others.

• Nicholas Gormley

May 6, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Very sad news, I didn’t know John but may he rest in peace.

• Roy Roffey

May 6, 2010 at 10:34 pm
    quote Peter Mindham:

Hi all,
    Just an update. In lieu of flowers, the family have asked for donations to the Air Ambulance of your choice.

For those attending next week, I will see you then.

Peter

might be some use to us all..
    http://www.countyairambulancetrust.co.u … n-Form.pdf

roffs

• Martin Cole

May 6, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Nice find Phill,

quote John Childs:

”At least with vehicles we only have all the mucking about once and then we can do hundreds. With one of our clients I put about eight hours work in to get the contract, but that was twelve years ago and we have done a nice steady three vans a week ever since with no further input. That’s the type of business I want”.

That’s why I liked him so much, I think he truly had this game sussed.
    I loved his attitude to business and to life in general.

• Matty Goodwin

May 6, 2010 at 11:09 pm
    quote John Childs:

I don’t know Harry.

All I can tell you is that I’ve seen too many elections, and I know that it won’t make any difference whatsoever who wins.

What I do know is that our current government has got us into so much debt that some pretty severe austerity measures will be required. The problem is that whoever has the misfortune to have to implement them will be so unpopular as a result that they will make themselves unelectable for a generation. I think we’re in the sh!t, and nobody will be brave enough to take the necessary measures to rectify that.

Regardless, I will be glued to the TV next Thursday night.

I hope he’s looking down and seeing whats going on. x

• Andrew Boyle

May 6, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I think Darren’s first post says so much… I’m sorry I couldn’t make it this year.
    I even feel bad that my avatar is smiling but I’m sure John wouldn’t mind.

quote Darren St Ledger:

R.I.P. Mr Childs.

• Lee Attewell

May 7, 2010 at 3:56 am

Very sad news indeed.
    Condolences to his family and friends, colleagues and everyone here. We’ve all lost someone special.

• Karl Williams

May 7, 2010 at 10:12 am
    quote Phill:

I’ve just been reading Johns introductory thread which was posted in 2002
    https://www.uksignboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=1707&highlight=

What an unassuming person.

quote :

As I say, I am happy to help but I think I am more likely to learn more from you guys with your wider experience.

Nothing could be further from the truth – he advised me and other folks so much behind the scenes and had an amazing ability to see through all the bullshit but still remained kind with his replies. Someone to look up to and respect. He was a mentor to me and many others.

Just read his first input into the site mate. As John explained he was not the most experienced when he joined as most of us. Hes taken advice from his good mates on here and ended up with a fantastic business. The man was a success. But he didnt only take advice, he gave it very well and was a great teacher to me. I learnt a great deal from him and if I could achieve his success I would be very proud. The pics on here and his introduction has put a lump in my throat. With the family community we have on here and the friendship we all share I feel like I’ve lost a family member. Gonna really mis you buddy.

• John Cooper

May 7, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I didn’t know John, but having read the many posts here, he was obviously a much loved person. The pain his family and loved ones are enduring just now must be awful and my heart goes out to them.

• Duncan Wilkie

May 7, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Shocking and so sad. My heart and prayers go out to John’s family.

• Shane Drew

May 8, 2010 at 6:55 am

It must be heart wrenching for his mum. Not sure if his dad is still alive. I know they lived next door to him. But for your son to go before you, must be devastating.

• John Callaghan

May 8, 2010 at 10:20 pm

RIP John. Just logged on to discover the sad news. Never met JC in person but I regard him as a friend and colleague, so generous of his time, experience, wit and good old fashioned common sense, a real gent. My condolences to his family and those closest to him. RIP.

• James Martin

May 9, 2010 at 2:32 pm

What a shock!

If there was one person I would have like to have been called a sign-maker by it was John Childs, he just seemed to inspire good conduct.

And although I’ve never met him, regretfully; sometimes when working I’ve often imagined what his attitude would be to the way I was going about things.

Will probably continue to do so!

Condolences to everyone that new John personally

• Faisal Ali

May 9, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Very sad news.

John was kind enough to say hello in my first post on the forum and have always noted his intelligent postings and deeply wise advice on the forums.

My thoughts are with his family, his friends and the staff at Corby Graphix. I cannot imagine how they feel.

I hope they can take comfort in the fact that his advice and words have helped many a signmaker build a better life for their families and hopefully will continue to do so long in the future.

A massive loss. Rest In Peace.

• Jason Xuereb

May 10, 2010 at 2:35 am

Sorry to hear John left us. He was someone I looked up to from a business point of view and someone I aspire to be like.

Condolences to the family.

• Peter Dee

May 10, 2010 at 7:22 am

May you rest in peace John. You have my respect.

• Peter Mindham

May 10, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Good afternoon all. Just an update for those who are planning to join us on Wednesday for Johns funeral. I have been asked by the family if those of you attending can make your way directly to the church. The church is All Saints Church Wilbarston. Map here: http://www.achurchnearyou.com/wilbarston-all-saints/

Many thanks

Peter

• Ben Childs

May 11, 2010 at 11:59 am

To all who have posted on this thread,

I would just like to say a big thank you for all the kind comments about my Dad. I read this through on Sunday night and, whilst I knew he was a great man, I had no idea of the extent of his impact on other people here, even people he had never met face to face.

He has left a huge void in our family which can never be filled but he has also left his legacy, echoed by many comments on here, in the form of his wisdom and advice given freely to others. I am extremely proud to be his son and just hope I can live up to his memory.

I would also like to say a huge thank you to Peter Mindham for his help this past week. Its been a hard time for him losing a friend and mentor yet, with the help of the staff, kept Corby Graphix operating under these tragic circumstances. All the family are extremely grateful.

As Peter said in an earlier post Corby Graphix is remaining open for the short to mid term. No decision has been made as to the future of the company but I would urge everyone who has used CG in the past to continue to do so in the meantime. My dad worked extremely hard over the past 20 years or so to build CG to what it is today and I would hate to see it decline.

Once again, thank you to everyone for their kind words and support.

Sleep well Dad, gone but never forgotten.

Ben

• Shane Drew

May 11, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Our thoughts are with you Ben.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Take care, and give our combined love to your mum.

Shane
    Australia

• Marcella Ross

May 11, 2010 at 1:56 pm

🙁 Very eloquent Ben, you obviously take that from your dad.

Only this morning did I do a job for CG and made sure it was as near perfect as I could muster.

I like many here, feel extremely proud and privileged to have known your dad.

Mx

• Lynn Normington

May 11, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Ben it was a privilege to have known your dad, a gentle kind and wise man with a wicked sense of humour

Lynn

• John Harding

May 11, 2010 at 3:12 pm
    quote :

here here Marcella, I was rather hoping to make the funeral but circumstances have conspired against me but I will be thinking of John and again wish to extend my heartfelt condolences to his family.

Ben thank you for posting

John

• M Brown

May 11, 2010 at 3:28 pm

So sorry to hear this news.

I never met John, but he came over as a good man, and was always there to help other people with problems.

I will miss him on the boards.

From Mark

• David Rowland

May 11, 2010 at 5:30 pm
    quote Ben Childs:

To all who have posted on this thread,

I would just like to say a big thank you for all the kind comments about my Dad. I read this through on Sunday night and, whilst I knew he was a great man, I had no idea of the extent of his impact on other people here, even people he had never met face to face.

He has left a huge void in our family which can never be filled but he has also left his legacy, echoed by many comments on here, in the form of his wisdom and advice given freely to others. I am extremely proud to be his son and just hope I can live up to his memory.

I would also like to say a huge thank you to Peter Mindham for his help this past week. Its been a hard time for him losing a friend and mentor yet, with the help of the staff, kept Corby Graphix operating under these tragic circumstances. All the family are extremely grateful.

As Peter said in an earlier post Corby Graphix is remaining open for the short to mid term. No decision has been made as to the future of the company but I would urge everyone who has used CG in the past to continue to do so in the meantime. My dad worked extremely hard over the past 20 years or so to build CG to what it is today and I would hate to see it decline.

Once again, thank you to everyone for their kind words and support.

Sleep well Dad, gone but never forgotten.

Ben

Very true ben, he was a good man ur dad.

• Hugh Potter

May 11, 2010 at 6:34 pm
    quote John Harding:

quote :

here here Marcella, I was rather hoping to make the funeral but circumstances have conspired against me but I will be thinking of John and again wish to extend my heartfelt condolences to his family.

Ben thank you for posting

John

goes for me too, I shall raise a glass or two to John myself tomorrow. it certainly seems strangely different around here without him, I genuinely miss the guy.

al the best Ben,

Hugh

• Matty Goodwin

May 11, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Said from the heart Ben, just like your dad would have done.

You’ve took the time to read our comments and replied which is very gutsy as we are strangers to you, but again, just what John would have done.

As you have lost your father, all here have lost a true mentor and friend and we feel your grief.

You should be very proud of the fact that your dad was loved by many, even those he didn’t get the chance to meet personally. He will be missed so very much.

Thanks again Ben and welcome as a friend.

Matt

• John Singh

May 11, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I think we all share in extending our sympathy to you Ben and to the rest of the family

You can certainly be proud to have had a father such as he

He will certainly be missed by all here

• Robert Lambie

May 12, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Rest in peace John, you will be greatly missed by us all mate…

Page 2 of 2