Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl Yet again. UK Oracal supplier? 641/638/631 Matte

• Yet again. UK Oracal supplier? 641/638/631 Matte

Posted by George Neagu on September 29, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Good afternoon,
    Of course, this topis has been discussed quite a few times before but I still find very hard to source Oracal vinyl in the UK.
    Precisely, I am looking for Oracal 641/631/638 series MATTE and I can barely find one or two suppliers that only have Gloss or only have a few colours in stock. Plus, expensive like gold.
    What would be the reson behind this, why there is no ‘proper’ supplier of Orcal in the UK?
    Has anyone tried to buy form Europ/Germany suppliers, any recommendations?

Why Oracal? Because they have a wide variety of colours and shades for 641 and some nice pastel colours for 631. And MACTac Designer Series is also hard to find in the UK (at a decent price).

Thanks,
    George

Martin Pearson replied 7 years, 7 months ago 8 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • Colin Crabb

September 29, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Antalis stocks 641 & 631 Matt – oddly no 638 series.

• George Neagu

September 29, 2016 at 1:11 pm
    quote Colin Crabb:

Antalis stocks 641 & 631 Matt – oddly no 638 series.

Thanks Colin, I know that but I think you didn’t read the last bit: ‘at a decent price’ :smiles:
    £4.88/m at 630mm width? I’m too posh for that. And ‘g’ I believe means Gloss anyway.

• Colin Crabb

September 29, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Mines showing up as 1260mm wide matt (defo’ matt) £3.95 per metre /630mm matt @ £1.38 metre for 641 series ….. don’t look at the ‘standard’ prices there a LONG way out, contact them & set up an account.

• Gil Johnson

September 29, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Hi George,

We buy oracal from Europoint Manchester and also from Sign + Digital Ireland – they stock most oracal vinyls.

[THUMBS UP SIGN]

• George Neagu

September 29, 2016 at 1:36 pm
    quote Colin Crabb:

Mines showing up as 1260mm wide matt (defo’ matt) £3.95 per metre /630mm matt @ £1.38 metre for 641 series ….. don’t look at the ‘standard’ prices there a LONG way out, contact them & set up an account.

Ah, I did not know that, I just looked as is, see attached image.
    Thanks for that, I will try to get an account.

Cheers

Attachments:

• Colin Crabb

September 29, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Try this product code: 75145 – £1.38 metre showing on my screen once logged in.

• George Neagu

September 29, 2016 at 3:02 pm
    quote Colin Crabb:

Try this product code: 75145 – £1.38 metre showing on my screen once logged in.

I am just waiting for my account to be activated. As a visitor, I see that at £3.42/m. :shocked:

Thank you so much for this info, I was not aware of this trick. Cheers :claps:

• Colin Crabb

September 29, 2016 at 3:05 pm

No worries – Ask for Clare Jackson of you need to speak to a rep, top top girl!

• Robert Lambie

September 29, 2016 at 6:58 pm
    quote Gil Johnson:

Hi George,

We buy oracal from Europoint Manchester and also from Sign + Digital Ireland – they stock most oracal vinyls.

I second Europoint. You will get a better stock holding from them too.

http://www.europoint.co

• George Neagu

September 30, 2016 at 8:31 am
    quote Robert Lambie:

quote Gil Johnson:

Hi George,

I second Europoint. You will get a better stock holding from them too.

http://www.europoint.co

Thank you, I have spoken to them, expect some prices today.

I hate Europoint because they don’t have a proper website. I hate calling, asking for prices that will be sent within 2 days or so, I hate to buy over the phone/mail. :awkward:
    It seems to take ages compared with online shops where you log in, see prices, see discounts based on the volume you buy, see order history and many others.

• Robert Lambie

September 30, 2016 at 8:53 am

complete opposite from me, I wont use a website to order unless its household items or gadgets. 😆
    I also dont think trade suppliers should have an easy access price list for joe blogs to see what we are all paying. which is a growing issue within our industry.
    YES, once you have a proper trading account with a supplier then having a portal to order things is the way to go. but not as i say above…
    I prefer to build relations with my suppliers too… have some good friends in the industry as a result, you cannot do that via a faceless web page. maybe i am old hat but i believe we buy "from people" and quality and service comes before price any day.

quote George Neagu:

why there is no ‘proper’ supplier of Orcal in the UK?

You will find that Europoint was the first official supplier of Oracal in the UK and still holds the widest range.

• Colin Crabb

September 30, 2016 at 9:09 am

This is one of the reasons I like Antalis style set up.
    First look at the price list shows Joe Public pricing, that scared George.
    But once registered you see the true pricing, enabling you to do quick quotes etc without speak to a rep each time. BUT a rep is always at the end of the phone, and you get to build up a great relationship with them. My rep Clare is brilliant very helpful, researches our weird requests, checks deliveries are okay etc etc. Best of both worlds in our books.

I agree with you Robert, access to trade prices is becoming an issue and I feel this type of set up Antalis use is the correct way – prices for public to view – prices for trade only once registered.

• George Neagu

September 30, 2016 at 9:18 am
    quote Robert Lambie:

complete opposite from me, I wont use a website to order unless its household items or gadgets. 😆
    I also dont think trade suppliers should have an easy access price list for joe blogs to see what we are all paying. which is a growing issue within our industry.
    YES, once you have a proper trading account with a supplier then having a portal to order things is the way to go. but not as i say above…
    I prefer to build relations with my suppliers too… have some good friends in the industry as a result, you cannot do that via a faceless web page. maybe i am old hat but i believe we buy “from people” and quality and service comes before price any day.

That is fair enough if you are a small-medium company (or BIG).
    You spend a fair amount of money with them, you keep a close relation with them, you might get some discounts, they might push your order first if you need it urgent etc. There are certainly benefits on this.
    But for a solo like me who only order occasionally and spend maybe less than 1k per year it is hard to build a relation hence ordering online is an easy option. Plus, I can order whenever I want rather than Mon to Fri, 9 to 5pm.

And yes, the prices should be kept secure behind the point where you set up an account but Europoint is lacking that portal to order things (and I hate that).

Happy Friday

• Robert Lambie

September 30, 2016 at 9:20 am

I wish i had the same experience Colin. I found them completely hopeless mate…

When Paperlinx went bust I tried Antalis. I had at least 2 face to face meetings and various phone calls. No disrespect but found the staff clueless to the "sign products". It was also impossible to get an order from them, i do not know how many times they had at getting an account open for us. Even when we tried buying by debit card the orders never arrived only to be given more excuses about our account as well as various colour ranges not in stock, i just told them to forget it and ordered at a much higher rate than normal via MDP and drove and picked the vinyl up myself.

• George Neagu

September 30, 2016 at 9:25 am
    quote :

quote George Neagu:

You will find that Europoint was the first official supplier of Oracal in the UK and still holds the widest range.

That’s good to know, let’s see what they can do for me.
    I have never paid attention to Europint simply because their website is completely naked and it does not suggest they are a reputable company.

• Kevin Busby

September 30, 2016 at 9:48 am
    quote George Neagu:

quote :

quote George Neagu:

That’s good to know, let’s see what they can do for me.
    I have never paid attention to Europint simply because their website is completely naked and it does not suggest they are a reputable company.

I stayed away from Europoint for that exact reason but on a recommendation on here when I needed some board I gave them a call and thats when I realised they were just as muddled as their web site. Got two email quotes for my materials with rates that had a huge amount of difference, lost my account application, found my account application, (two months and i’m bored now) and finally said account was being opened personally by sales MANAGER and I would be contacted shortly, that was 5 months ago now so good job I was not waiting on anything urgent.

I love good web sites where you can have a look round and look at things you think you might like, I’ve had great (really great) service from Amari but they are much the same unless you know they sell a product its hard to find anything that tells you what they do.

I’ve heard a huge amount of info regarding Oracal products and the ones ive tried (reflectives) seem really good but like you its a nightmare finding people who sell it, I’d love to try some of their digital print products but its like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Hopefully things will work out with Antalis, I will take a look at their site and see if they are worth setting up and account with.

Kev

• David Hammond

September 30, 2016 at 9:53 am

Had our Europoint rep call in yesterday.

They operate very differently to Paperlinx, each branch is it’s own sales centre, and each one has it’s own targets. Yes they sell internally between branches, our Manchester branch are doing a very good job, orders turn up on time, and I’ve had one wrong order which they re cut and delivered the next morning.

We’ve keep having delivery charges when we shouldn’t but other than that, their prices and service seem very good. Although that’s the Manchester branch, and I don’t know about the others.

• George Neagu

September 30, 2016 at 10:17 am

Hey Kev, which branch have you been in touch with?
    Because I am in London, I contacted Northampton branch.

• Kevin Busby

September 30, 2016 at 12:17 pm
    quote George Neagu:

Hey Kev, which branch have you been in touch with?
    Because I am in London, I contacted Northampton branch.

It was the Glasgow one, although they kept telling me the problems were because they were moving branch. Like I said I had two sets of prices for the same materials and once was very competitive and one not so. I just felt I was becoming a inconvenience by keep chasing them that in the end I just left it and went to Amari as I was desperate to get stock in.

Its very encouraging to find other depots are supplying good service, maybe my local will sort them selves out when they have finished moving (probably have by now lol)

• Jon Marshall

September 30, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Spandex supply Oracal

• Martin Pearson

October 1, 2016 at 7:21 am

Kevin, I must just be very lucky, I have been dealing with Europoint Glasgow for years, Company name has changed a few times during that time but the staff have mostly stayed the same. During that time I have always been very happy with the level of service I received, with me working on my own & only able to work part time my annual spend with them is extremely small but that doesn’t seem to make a difference.
    Not saying they are perfect, yes there have been some mistakes made over the years but they have always been very quick to put them right.
    That’s obviously just my own personal experience of dealing with them so very different from what you have experienced.