Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers XC-540 Print head half firing, fuse blown on head board

• XC-540 Print head half firing, fuse blown on head board

Posted by stephen graham on June 25, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Hi folks,

I had an engineer replace the cyan head as it was banding. In the process he showed me the cable connecting to the head one of the end pins was bent. He said it wont be an issue though and continued the process. The head was in and firing perfect for about 10metres. Then Group A failed to fire altogether (both Cyan and Magenta).

Checked board which had fused on F1 and one of the transitors. He took the board away to get fixed, put it back in and everything was fine (for about 10 mins after he left). Now the Cyan is firing but only half of the magenta.

So I go ahead and open the cover to find he perhaps bridged the fuse and it has burnt out one of the black components on the heat sink (i believe it is).

It looks pretty badly burnt. Will I be best replacing the head board, or is it repairable. Also he didnt replace the cable that he said ‘should be ok’. I am right in guessing it is the faulty cable on the cyan causing these issues?

I have attached pics for any help. I will order a new head board and cable connector for the cyan if you think this should do the trick? Its just a bit strange that its the magenta thats half firing if its a faulty cable on the Cyan?

I had no issues at all until the new head was fitted and I think the engineer might be doing more harm than good.

Any help would be great.

Thanks team,

Stephen

Attachments:

stephen graham replied 7 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Kevin Flowers

June 25, 2016 at 7:48 pm

I would replace the head board, cable and you may possibly have a faulty head, if an engineer repaired the fuses like that then I would be changing my engineer no reason not to use the correct fuses & are important to stop your components on the board frying like they have. Board is about £1000 cable isn’t expensive

Kev

• Chris Wool

June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm

As Kevin said that’s quite poorly and needs love and attention
    When I have half a head go down it has been lack of ink for one reason or another
    But with what looks like burnt bits is not helping
    Lot of defections is this aftermarket inks or poor capping stations and or pumps
    Hopefully you’ll get it sorted then align the heads better and you have one of the best printers roland made

• stephen graham

June 26, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Thank you for your replies I appreciate it. I am just about to go ahead and order a new head board and cables. I have a brand new spare print head. Do you mean replace the CYAN as everything was fine before that went in (apart from the dodgy cable) or replace the MAGENTA.

After I install new board and cables, if magenta still not firing I guess I will replace that however it was a decent enough head before the cyan replacement so a bit strange why it would go down.

Thanks

• Stafford Cox

June 28, 2016 at 10:37 am

It looks to me as though what your engineer has done (and I have no idea who he is) is solder a similar (I would like to think) rated fuse to the existing one in the absence of having a correct sized one. Most freelance engineers look after several makes and models of printer and carry many parts for each. He has probably just been caught out without the right physical size and improvised.

Before delving in too deep, I would check some more obvious problems first, such as damper and manifold. If it was me (and I don’t recommend you do this yourself), I would move cables and ink lines around to try and move the fault. From the limited information I have, I doubt that this is the head board at fault. If it is electrical I would suspect the head but I guess it’s more likely that somebody has introduced a fracture on the head manifold.

Stafford

• stephen graham

June 28, 2016 at 11:24 am

Thanks for that. I have ordered new transitors for the board. After testing 2 of them are out (the burnt one and the one beside it). I have the proper fuses aswell arrived along with new roland cables. When replacing the cables I will check the manifolds etc. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks for all your help.

• stephen graham

July 4, 2016 at 7:12 pm

sent the head board off for repair as the other transistor would not take to the board due to a damaged line within the board. i will have it back and let you all know. i will check each manifold before turning on to see if we can find the problem. if the cyan head was to be at fault, it is firing percectly, it is the magenta that went down after the cyan in. surely the cyan would not work? as said i do have a spare head, just wondering which to fire it in to. thanks guys.