Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vehicle Wrapping Wrapping a range rover L322 (04-09)

• Wrapping a range rover L322 (04-09)

Posted by Hugh Potter on February 20, 2018 at 2:24 pm

Hey all,

Got a regular who’s wife wants her range rover wrapped a fetching shade of candy floss sparkle pink!!

I think I’ve got the qty of material correct at around 25m (will order 30 just in case!), however, the bonnets on range rovers are huge, is it possible to wrap one in a single piece or, as I suspect, will it need to be done in three pieces, ie, a centre piece from swage to swage first, then overlapping them and outwards, the edge pieces.

Or is there a better way?

Having one of these myself I know it’s pretty easy to remove lights, grille etc. is there anything else to come off to make things easier?

thanks
    Hugh

Hugh Potter replied 6 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

February 20, 2018 at 7:44 pm

i dont know the size of the bonnet, but could easily be bigger than the standard 60 inch roll of wrap?

you could run knifeless tape down the lower section of the bonnet dip on each side and create a "butt join".

if you prefer to have an overlap join…
    wrap the lower sections on either side of the bonnet first, then apply the main section in the middle.
    this will mean the overlap is running down the slope over the join making it harder to see the join stood in front of it.

hope that makes sense. :smiles:

• Phill Fenton

February 20, 2018 at 11:29 pm

If you have to have a join – you could always hide it with a "go faster" stripe down the bonnet…I doubt she would mind given that she wants it wrapped a candy floss sparkle pink :awkward:

• Jon Marshall

February 21, 2018 at 9:22 am

Yes you can wrap in one piece. Done loads of them.

• Hugh Potter

February 21, 2018 at 10:22 am

Thanks guys,
    I only queried it as I’ve been told before that it can’t be done in one piece, wrongly it appears!

Rob,
    Don’t mean to question your expertise in this field but, If it did need a join, surely you’d work vertically, filling the centre section from the air intake down to the front, with the knifleless tape just under the upper edge of the swage, trim away excess, re-lay tape at lower edge of swage and then overlap there on that angle, hiding any join and dirt that may trap there? A bit like attached? ie, lay in the pink first then the orange?

Attachments:

• Robert Lambie

February 21, 2018 at 11:40 pm

Hi Hugh

I think I am looking at a different bonnet from you mate. :smiles:

As you can see from those i have attached, the middle areas are risen, sloping down onto the areas left and right of the bonnet. If you did the centre section first, your side areas joins would be overlapping and facing up towards you making it easier to see.
    With the knifeless tape, I think i would run with a butt-join, where you lay the tape firste and apply both layers over the tape pulling the filament string through both layers and carefully removing the excess tape below the lower layer. If this is done correct and at the turn, base of the dip, it would be hard to notice. be sure to be using a decent cast wrap though as you dont want shrink back and exposing the vehicle colour.

As Jon says, you should be able to do the bonnet in one go anyway. happy days! :thumbsup:

What I will add, if you have to rotate the vinyl horizontal to do the bonnet, be careful.
    You said that the customer wants a bright "glitter" pink…
    This being the case, the glitter runs in one direction, a bit like the grain in wood.
    If you rotate the panel to get it to fit the bonnet, when its fitted and the sun is out, the glitter will sparkle in a different direction to the roof and sides of the car. This is because you should run the grain of the glitter all in the same direction when fitting. this type of thing is over looked for many when pricing jobs because you end up using more vinyl trying to keep the grain consistent.

I noticed you mention Orange in your last post, has she gone with sections in Orange also now?
    If so, the bonnet should be easy enough.

Attachments:

• Hugh Potter

February 22, 2018 at 12:14 pm

I see what you mean Rob, we’re talking the same but different bonnets – I presume it has this bonnet attached..

I would have to go horizontally to do the bonnet in one go, they’re about 1400 deep x 1.7 wide at a guess.

Attachments: