Wrap Failure or not?
Can I get your opinion on this one?
Completed a wrap this Friday (late) on an Audi S6.
Lovely car – the customer wanted it wrapped in Satin Black.
We decided upon Avery Premium Colour Change.
Took me all week to do it. Ended up almost happy. One exception was that the customer changed the spec on Monday morning (as they do) to having a previous wrap removed from the mirrors, roof rails and the trims around the windows. This was done by another company (no idea who) with gloss black.
When I removed this vinyl I found that not only was there a lot of 3M primer hanging around (ugh!) but also, these parts of the car were unpainted aluminium.
I expressed that I wasn’t entirely happy about this because I found that the vinyl was not adhering as hard as I would have liked to those areas.
We decided to go ahead, however, and when I had finished the car and post-heated the heck out of it I thought that seemed to be holding up OK.
The customer then drove off on Friday evening with all the usual warnings about letting the car settle a bit before washing etc.
I then got the attached photo late on Saturday ( the customer had tracked me down on my personal FB account to give me the bad news )
So obviously I responded with. “Don’t worry” we’ll put it right” come in and see us when you can” What else could I say?
One of my (younger) work colleagues discovered this morning that the customer had taken the vehicle on Saturday afternoon (yesterday) to have it ceramic
coated. He had posted a video on Instagram showing the process with another local firm.
He had not informed us that this was going to happen.
He has then obviously gone tearing about in the rain on Saturday night and part of the whole thing has failed.
So. I don’t know much about ceramic coating but I have learned a bit in the last few hours.
Does anyone think that:
1. There should have been at least a day or two before he had the coating applied over our wrap.
2. That he should have allowed a lot longer for the ceramic coating to cure before taking the car out in the rain. I’ve read conflicting advice on the timing of that but the very least I could find was 48 hours and that anything wet can be a killer for the coating without a good curing period.
3. Are we in fact covered here because he has in effect “tampered” with the finish much too soon and without asking us for advice – as I said we had no prior knowledge of the ceramic coating being planned and in fact at this point he still hasn’t informed us that it has even been done.
At the end of the day – he’s a nice guy and I have no problem with replacing that small strip if that is all that goes wrong with it, I’m just now worried about the integrity of the entire wrap.
Grateful for any thoughts on this.
Log in to reply.