• winsock error 10038

Posted by Shane Drew on December 21, 2004 at 10:27 am

Hi people,

Can anyone give me a clue on this problem.

I get a really intermittant winsock error using my soljet on a network, It nearly always happens after it has printed, and just before it cuts.

Driving me batty! 😥

Any help would be appreciated

Shane

Rodney Gold replied 19 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Chris Wool

December 21, 2004 at 10:55 am

i havent seen a winsock error for years now whot operating system are you using colour rip forsed me to go to xp

chris

• Rodney Gold

December 21, 2004 at 11:09 am

Its a communication errror with the printer , windows does not see it. Most likely a cable or network issue.
    When you next send to the printer , check its status , it should report inks etc.

• storeinet

December 21, 2004 at 12:07 pm

10038 Socket operation on nonsocket.

An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket. Either the socket handle parameter did not reference a valid socket, or for select, a member of an fd_set was not valid.

Dan

• Shane Drew

December 21, 2004 at 12:15 pm

Hey guys, how ’bout speaking english here 🙄

Seriously tho, I am running XP, and Rolands Color rip.

It is so intermittant, I have changed all the network cables, the hub, and I have reloaded the software twice.

I had an IT guy out and he said it sounded like the network card in the soljet.

I had roland out, and he said it sounded like the hub.

Every time someone takes a ‘guess’ it cost me money!!!

I am upgrading my computer over the holidays so I may wait and see if it happens again after that. Just so frustrating. Printed 100 4″ x 4″ full colour decals, then when it went to cut them out, the whole soljet froze and the winsock error came up on the computer screen. Had to turn it off at the wall.

That noise you may hear is be belting my head against a brick wall. 😥

Thanks for your help everyone. Your collective advice is always appreciated

Cheers
    Shane

• Rodney Gold

December 21, 2004 at 3:57 pm

The RIP sends a ton of data to the printer at quite high speeds , if you dont have a switching type hub , you might experience problems. The fact it does this when cutting , when it sends a huge burst of data straight to the machine seems to me that there is a network bottleneck
    If you cant solve it , then send crop marks to the machine.
    What happens here is that you can either print then cut after reading the cropmarks or if that doesnt work Print only , read the crop marks and send the outlines as a seperate file , it will cut perfectly as its used the cropmarks to set the base point etc and the sheet will be perfectly aligned.
    You lose a little width doing the cropmarks but its better than losing the whole sheet.

• Adrian Hewson

December 21, 2004 at 6:34 pm

If you are not on a network then ignore my drivel.

We used to get these winsock errors

All our computers are networked including our soljet and the computer that controls it. The computer that controls the soljet (as all our other computers are running XP SP2) has two network cards (NIC) loaded one for the soljet and one for the network. If both cards are enabled we cannot send jobs to the soljet we have to disable the network NIC to send jobs.

I do not know if this is the same network bottleneck you are talking about Rodney but our NIC’s are all gigabyte and so is the switch, we are operating about 12 pcs.

IF anyone has any info on this that could help relove this it would be greatly appreciated as it is a pain in the a ss.

• Rodney Gold

December 22, 2004 at 3:58 am

The printer should connect directly to the hub , it should be seen as a “computer” on the network , then you arent going thru a print server which is essentially what you are using the puter with 2 cards in it for.
    We have Colorip on multiple computers and any can send to the printer and control it.
    2 network cards in a computer can cause conflicts etc , I have a similar problem with one of my puters with 2 cards , the network is real slow on that puter when both cards are used