Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Computers – Tablets – Phones Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2005

• Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2005

Posted by Warren Beard on March 29, 2007 at 8:01 pm

Hi Guys

I am desperate for some help please, does anybody have a copy of Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2005. I got my PC with it installed (from PC World) all legit but did not get a disk and was not told to make one when I first booted up the machine. Now nearly 2 years on and my PC is about to get thrown out the window in frustration I need to format my hard drive and start fresh.

If anybody has a disk they could post to me I would be really grateful, I would obviously pay any costs involved and send the disk straight back, I have my serial number and everything but no disk to re-install with.

I know this is a long shot but it’s doing my head in.

Thanks guys

Warren

Warren Beard replied 17 years ago 8 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Peter Normington

March 29, 2007 at 8:16 pm

Warren, are you sure its not on your hard disc? most pc’s that dont have a disc have it on hard drive. as a restore file, it may be hidden, but it should be there

Have you asked pc world for a disc? or how to do a restore?

Peter

• derek longhaven

March 29, 2007 at 8:57 pm

Someone elses wont work

• Warren Beard

March 29, 2007 at 9:19 pm

Hi Peter

As far as I know it isn’t, apparently I was suppose to make a disk the first time I booted up the PC when it was new, who knew ???? 🙁

I will call PC World tomorrow but I know they will want to charge me for it.

Derek, an original disk will work, it is simply the software I need, no serial numbers or anything, just the basic program to install as if a new PC.

Thanks

Warren

• derek longhaven

March 29, 2007 at 9:23 pm

its serial number related, the only way you’ll do it is from a fresh install of xp
    that being not a copy of someone elses, i’ll send you an xp install disc from our toshibas, i bet it wont work, it’ll say your machine aint a toshiba with serial number xxxx, then it will quit, we get this even with new hard drives, xp is cheap, buy another legit version, it should have left an icon on your desktop to transfer from the ‘hidden partition’ to cdr, you have no restore cd disc whatsoever?

• David Rowland

March 29, 2007 at 10:41 pm

not certain on media center but on a standard XP computer is a serial number (hidden on the back/bottom or side), this is your unique license key. When you install XP it asks for the number and then puts it to a basic spec (normally without video drivers installed etc).

I have mucked about with HP media center once, had to do a drive format for that, I think there was a recovery partition (like press F8 or F10 on startup to get a recovery menu), remember tho this will kill and refresh the computer and all data will be lost.

So, best start with Computer make & model number so we can google it for the recovery procedure.

• Mike Kenny

March 30, 2007 at 9:46 am

Hi1
    Not sure if this is of any help,My Pc Crashed recently – i also had no disc
    but going through the system in SAFE MODE it restores windows automatically – you lose everything but start fresh!!! because windows verifies the copy you are using another disc wont work!
    cheers
    mike

• Warren Beard

March 30, 2007 at 4:27 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies, it shows it’s been a while since I did this. When I used to run windows 98 (a long time ago) I used to format my hard drive almost every year and re-install from a pirate disk and serial number and it worked fine. I guess with new software these days it’s not so easy. But thanks for clearing that up for me.

I have no restore disk what so ever, this does lead me to believe that it might be possible to do it like some of you mentioned from within the start up or bios menu or something.

I have all my files and stuff backed up so can copy all that back on, if I did the restore would it lose all drivers and software that has been installed or will it just restore the registry system or something like that?

I’m not 100% sure I know what I’m talking about here.

Thanks again for the tips, I might have a secret weapon that is going to help me out, he knows who he is 😉

cheers

Warren

• David-Foster-

March 31, 2007 at 4:31 pm
    quote Warren Beard:

re-install from a pirate disk and serial number and it worked fine

Hi Warren

If you are running your business from this PC I would bite the bullet and pay £50 for a legit OEM copy of XP. I know it stinks that you have bought it with a PC but get yourself a new disk. It will save you any more headaches.

🙂

• Warren Beard

March 31, 2007 at 4:55 pm

Hi David

I know what you are saying and if I have to I will, it isn’t a problem owning a copied disk as long as you have your own serial number, if I can sort it and save £50 I will otherwise I will have to pay up.

I have run some software’s to clean any problems in my system, removed some fonts and re-installed some of the software programs I was having a problem with. So far not much has changed but I should notice any differences in the next few days.

cheers

Warren

• Phil Barnfield

March 31, 2007 at 7:18 pm

you can reinstall using a legit copy of XP MC2005 (sorry I havent got one). It will accept the key you already have. Only issue you will encounter is Windows Product Activation….

Quick call to Microsoft and they do the checks on your existing key and voila present you with the activation key.

Jobs a good un!

Works every time……. although recently I had a numpty on the phone at MS, and he just would NOT listen to me. Sorted it in the end after about 15mins explaining to him that my customer previously had a legit copy and that he had lost his disc!!

try it.

• Warren Beard

April 14, 2007 at 1:03 pm

Hi All

Follow up on my problems and outcome.

Contacted Packard Bell and they told me where the setting where to restore.

I launched the program and it gave me 2 options

1) System Recovery
    2) System Restore

option 1 will re-install windows and keep all your data but lose any 3rd party software that had been installed since new.

option 2 will lose absolutely everything and restore to the point as when it was new from the shop, all data and software gone.

So option 1 it was for me then, selected it and it started to run………..

…….. ERROR 😮 😥

Pressed OK and it rebooted back into the same program but now I could only select option 2 (full system restore) There was no way out of it and I tried everything. End of the day I had to go ahead with it and lost all the work I have done since 1st April (I do a data back up on the 1st of every month) – BUT I don’t back up my music as it would full about 5 DVD’s and guess where all that is, gone!

So now I am busy re-installing everything and at least the PC seems to be flying again which is great.

Thanks to all who helped and to Martin who offered to help sort me out.

Full restore is done and what is lost is lost and no point dwelling on it.

Cheers

Warren

• darrenbrown

April 15, 2007 at 3:02 pm

Their is a small program out their called, i think, WMA killer, install XP run the program and thats it , a perfect working copy of XP.

• Warren Beard

April 16, 2007 at 7:34 pm

The story continues…………….

yesterday my monitor packed it’s bags and said bye bye :wave:

so I’m just back from PCW with as brand new 19" wide screen 😎

lets hope I have better luck with my new mac (coming soon) and hopefully if I can get this monitor fixed I will run duel screen on my 24" imac

Then I will have the last laugh

hold thumbs

Warren