• Win £200 Cash!

Posted by Robert Lambie on September 4, 2006 at 10:54 pm

Well the time has come yet again were i must do my tour of duty! :lol1:
    I am off down south fitting signs all over the place…. and i mean all over the place. 😕

I was going to be running a contest to "spot rob" on his travels, like before… but i just do not have the time tonight to set it up, load pictures of the van etc. ive been meaning to load it all week but i have been trying to do other stuff to allow for my absense, by the time i went to take a picture of the van ill be driving it was almost dark….. 😕

that said, if you do spot me at any time…. and manage to do what richard hards did last year. "walk up and introduce yourself" or "peep the horn and wave" £200 is yours! 😉
    obviously you will have to email me if you blow the horn telling me where and when.

and do not say its like a needle in a haystack, its not…. i have done this contest only one time before and we had a winner.
    see this link…. (nop im not driving that van in link)
    https://www.uksignboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=56080#56080

Ill be driving a plain white sprinter van with FastSigns on the sides and rear.
    logo is in blue and green…. same as on the cherry picker.

just for the record: NO we are nothing to do with the franchise group. we are the reason there arent any in scotland using that name. 😉

Robert Lambie replied 17 years, 7 months ago 26 Members · 71 Replies
  • 71 Replies
  • Phill Fenton

September 4, 2006 at 11:04 pm

Looks like I’m gonna have to repeat my vigil parked up on the hard shoulder of the M8 in the hope of spotting Rob as he joins the motorway on his way south. 😕

• Robert Lambie

September 4, 2006 at 11:20 pm

cough cough…. better hurry….

where’s my keys? 😉

• Dave & Rob Lowery

September 5, 2006 at 7:43 am
    quote Robert Lambie:

Ill be driving a plain white sprinter van with FastSigns on the sides and rear.
    logo is in blue and green…. same as on the cherry picker.
    😉

WHAT 😕

• Alistair Richards

September 5, 2006 at 5:14 pm

Come down as far as Cornwall Rob, and I think you and the team deserve free Pasties, on me!! 😀

• MartinDenton

September 5, 2006 at 5:29 pm

Hi Rob

good luck on your journey down south

I absolutely love the van, how much does an outfit like that cost? better start saving my pennies

martin

• Nicola McIntosh

September 5, 2006 at 8:00 pm

:lol1: :lol1:

Attachments:

• Andrew Ritchie

September 5, 2006 at 8:43 pm

Lol, nice one Nik :lol1:

I know the his location but am sworn to secrecy :bigwink:

Andy 😎

• Marcella Ross

September 5, 2006 at 8:59 pm

:rofl: Love it Nik!!! :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: I know that sign well now…. it means there’s a curry and a vodka in the wee hoose behind it! 😀

• Lynn Normington

September 5, 2006 at 9:10 pm

Marcella I will remember that sign you mentioned curry & Vod in the same sentance works for me 😛 😛 😛

Lynn

• Jill Marie Welsh

September 5, 2006 at 10:50 pm

Will you be driving past my place?
    It’s 813 Pittsburgh Rd. Butler PA 16002 on Google Earth!
    love….Jill

• John Childs

September 5, 2006 at 11:14 pm
    quote Jill Marie Welsh:

Will you be driving past my place?
    It’s 813 Pittsburgh Rd. Butler PA 16002 on Google Earth!

You’re a bit out of focus Jill.

😀

• Phill Fenton

September 5, 2006 at 11:24 pm
    quote John Childs:

You’re a bit out of focus Jill.

😀

Too much wine tonight John 😕

• Jill Marie Welsh

September 5, 2006 at 11:42 pm

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& … e=h&lvl=19

(you can even see my kid’s junk van behind my garage)

• alan flynn

September 5, 2006 at 11:46 pm

hello rob

i know one person who will get money out of you even if he does not win, my mate ken, did you pay all your charges, hopefully after all the taxes fast signs may have made some money,
    living in the big smokeis not all its cracked up to be,
    good luck to the wininer and lets hope you were on foot or public transort

ps rob can you see why in london they are having to get people in scotland down to do our signs, i only live 10 miles down the a10 and you wont get me in central london for all the tea in china
    and theres a lot we have just started to import signmakers tea, watch this space,

regards
    alan flynn

• Hugh Potter

September 6, 2006 at 6:56 am

woo-hoo…. i win 😀

Attachments:

• Nigel Pugh

September 6, 2006 at 9:49 am

Hugh is that Rob standing by the wheel of your Tonka Toy :lol1:

• Phil Halling

September 6, 2006 at 3:27 pm

Was that outside your house Sunday by any chance ?

• Harry Cleary

September 6, 2006 at 4:10 pm

The one that got away!!
    gonna take more than 200 squids to fix this!!

Attachments:

• Roy Roffey

September 6, 2006 at 6:38 pm

hey rob,

if you get to my neck of the woods, we can split the cash and spend it on lapdancers !!!!! 😮 😮

bet i win this one 😉

safe trip bud

• Phil Halling

September 6, 2006 at 7:05 pm

I’m not sure but,……….

Attachments:

• John Wilson

September 6, 2006 at 8:03 pm
    quote Roy Roffey:

if you get to my neck of the woods, we can split the cash and spend it on lapdancers !!!!! 😮 😮

Rob’s already there with his biracial twin brother :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• Roy Roffey

September 6, 2006 at 8:05 pm

I WANT TO WORK FOR POSTAL 😮 😮 😮

• David Rowland

September 6, 2006 at 9:28 pm

I didn’t have to go far to see rob! 😀 😀 😀

Attachments:

• Robert Lambie

September 6, 2006 at 11:21 pm

well ive just had a laugh reading these replies :lol1:

hmmmm, im still on the road, or should i say "on the run" :lol1:

i have already fitted various signs at each of these locations:

Manchester
    Wallasey
    Liverpool
    Exeter

im now in a holiday inn in a nice city very far down the map, but im NOT gonna give you anymore hints. 😉 what i will say though…
    There is another sign company van parked next to mine at the rear of the hotel 😮 soooo if your in a hotel and reading this, have alook out the back window :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

the exeter job was a nightmare… i had to dismantle a 20′ x 8′ sign at one depot, then take it to a new depot and erect it again. trouble was, the sign was too big for the area that chose to position it. instead of repositioning it to "what i actually thought was a better position" they asked me to try…
    in the end i had to build out the entire sign to miss impeading obsticles. the job should have taken me 3-4 hours, it took 10 🙄
    those six extra hours spent on this fitting stole precious driving time to my next location before booking into a hotel for the night. in the end i drove a few hours and thankfully got booked in for the night.
    the loss of those six driving hours means that the knock on effect for the rest of the jobs will add an extra day,night to my travels… so i "think" ill be home friday evening… who knows… :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

i have already seen loads of sign company vans, shops and factories… but no honks of the horn etc 😎 :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

anyway, im off…. keep your eyes peeled folks… i have allot of driving to do bfore i finish and start heading home… 😉

• John Singh

September 6, 2006 at 11:36 pm

Who’s doing all the driving?
    Wouldn’t like to do all that driving and then have to fit signs all in day

• Robert Lambie

September 7, 2006 at 8:44 am
    quote John Singh:

Who’s doing all the driving?
    Wouldn’t like to do all that driving and then have to fit signs all in day

me! 😕

• David Rowland

September 7, 2006 at 9:22 am

drop by mr lambie .. more then welcome if ur on the north devon to cornwall road, our window overhangs the main road.

• Shane Drew

September 7, 2006 at 9:42 am

how bout going down the M1…. in Brisvegas! I’ll give YOU 200 quid 😕

• Martin Cole

September 7, 2006 at 11:00 am

Life can’t be bad!

Only posh sign companies stay in Holiday Inn’s, for the rest of us it’s a Travel Lodge.

Sounds like you deserve it after that nightmare job though

🙂

• George Elsmore

September 7, 2006 at 11:08 am

HOLIDAY INN! TRAVEL LODGE! 😮 back of the tranny for us real paupers Martinos you posh git!!!

• John Childs

September 7, 2006 at 11:35 am

The last time my lot went out they tried the Travel Lodge but refused to stay in it a second night because it was heat wave time, there was no air conditioning and the windows would only open a couple of inches because of "Health and Safety".

They insisted on the local four star Swallow Hotel just up the road for subsequent nights.

Spoilt or what? 🙁

• Marcella Ross

September 7, 2006 at 11:35 am
    quote George Elsmore:

HOLIDAY INN! TRAVEL LODGE! 😮 back of the tranny for us real paupers Martinos you posh git!!!

why doesn’t it surprise me you’ve got a mattress in the back of your van George! 😉

• George Elsmore

September 7, 2006 at 11:40 am

I resemble that remark!!!!

• David Rowland

September 7, 2006 at 11:42 am

dont want to get your signs damaged, I guess

• Peter Munday

September 7, 2006 at 4:01 pm

Well from Robs earlier message I thought that he was hinting that he was down south ie.
    Portsmouth way so this afternoon whilst out on deliveries I thought I would take a look around some industrial estates and see if I could spot the wee Rob. Well after having nearly crashed the van three times while trying to read the sides of vans and also going through a set of red lights I decided I didn’t realy need that £200 that badly and gave up!
    But I know he’s out there somewhere.

Peter

• Robert Lambie

September 7, 2006 at 6:08 pm

so where am i now? :lol1:

last night i was in Bristol City Centre. had a really nice night, brilliant place, really clean and loads to do and drink… ahem i mean see and eat 😕 :lol1: if i wasnt so knackered last night due to the bad day i had in exeter i was gonna give joe mcnamara a call and ask if he fancied ging for a drink.. but wasnt to be.. too tired. :lol1:
    dave, i was gonna call you once i arrived in exeter but thought nop… he’ll want his money for finding me 😉 :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
    my idea yesterday was to leave exeter early and drive to luton area and meet with peter and lynn for a drink.. but yet again… exeter job killed that. 😕
    anyway… left bristol this morning and drove to leeds and fitted 3 more signs… then onto yet anther hotel.. "another holiday inn" :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: to be honest travel inn/lodge works perfect for me but i take what i can get. most places cheaper are always taken…
    i stayed in exeter also, again not cheap but what the hell can you do when everything is taken 🙄 🙄 in the end hotel options sorted me for the night down there… good idea for anyone thats needing accomodation out and about. just call them and they find all avilabilities in that area.
    well… ive just got a beer from the bar and i plan getting rat-ar$ed… ahem i mean tiddley of course 😉
    i have to say being on the run for the week breaks up your drive time… :lol1: peter, like you mate i am clocking all the vans going by… :lol1: :lol1:
    its got so bad i had to go out last night in a blonde wig and heels… :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
    or was that saturday night? 😕 😉

well im gonna get dressed and go for a meal… and some serious bevvy… till tommorrow… i have another depot to do before turning back the way and heading home… (thats a hint by the way!) :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• John Singh

September 7, 2006 at 10:34 pm

Rob said:

quote :

well im gonna get dressed and go for a meal… and some serious bevvy… till tommorrow… i have another depot to do before turning back the way and heading home… (thats a hint by the way!)

Right! Now let me see!
    That’s England back to Scotland

…………………..Any more clues Rob

• David Rowland

September 7, 2006 at 11:15 pm

to be honest rob, u could have put a few signs up, we a little short staffed and that cherry picker could have come in use.

Exeter should be pretty reasonable rob… its cheap around here in farmer land.

now u given a big clue, i suspect the scots will get the money (is andrew R exempt?)

• George Elsmore

September 8, 2006 at 7:01 am

these travels your on Rabbie seems to me you give the midlands a wide berth 😀 😀 or have i got it sewn up to well???

• Andrew Ritchie

September 8, 2006 at 8:01 am
    quote :

now u given a big clue, i suspect the scots will get the money (is andrew R exempt?)

Yep, im exempt. Ive known his location on a daily basis , and no-one even offered me a bribe lol

Andy 😎

• Marcella Ross

September 8, 2006 at 8:04 am

what if I drive over and sit at the end of your street and see him coming back…….. would that count if no one else has already spotted him? 😀

• John Wilson

September 8, 2006 at 8:25 am
    quote Andrew Ritchie:

quote :

Yep, im exempt. Ive known his location on a daily basis , and no-one even offered me a bribe lol

Andy 😎

No but I offered you a trade off :lol1: :lol1:

• John Wilson

September 8, 2006 at 8:28 am
    quote Marcella:

what if I drive over and sit at the end of your street and see him coming back…….. would that count if no one else has already spotted him? 😀

I’m sitting there the now :lol1: :lol1:

posted via blackberry

• George Elsmore

September 8, 2006 at 8:31 am

you jockanese will do anything for a quid!! 😀 😀

• John Wilson

September 8, 2006 at 8:35 am

I could just go get some donuts and camp up on the hard shoulder on the M8 along with the cops and get a pic of Rob as he slows down passing the cops :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• Marcella Ross

September 8, 2006 at 8:39 am
    quote John Wilson:

and camp up on the hard shoulder on the M8 :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

…… you’ve done enough of camping it up John ………. Strathclyde Park ………. sharing a room with DR ……….!!!!!! 😀

• John Wilson

September 8, 2006 at 8:41 am
    quote Marcella:

quote John Wilson:

and camp up on the hard shoulder on the M8 :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

…… you’ve done enough of camping it up John ………. Strathclyde Park ………. sharing a room with DR ……….!!!!!! 😀

Look it was two single bed ok 😥

And I was only wondering Strathclyde park for a matter of minutes until Rob picked me up so that doesn’t count either :lol1: :lol1:

• David Rowland

September 8, 2006 at 8:52 am

Marcella, if Rob came round the corner im sure he see your **** first before you see him…

there fights on, gloves off!

• Marcella Ross

September 8, 2006 at 8:53 am

‘until Rob picked you up’ …………. didn’t realise he was involved!!! 😮

• Marcella Ross

September 8, 2006 at 8:54 am
    quote Dave Rowland:

Marcella, if Rob came round the corner im sure he see your **** first before you see him…

there fights on, gloves off!

2 words fit those four stars Dave ……….. I’m gonna stick the flattering option if you don’t mind!!! :lol1: 😉

• David Rowland

September 8, 2006 at 8:55 am

you have to give him £200 :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• John Childs

September 8, 2006 at 9:00 am
    quote Dave Rowland:

Marcella, if Rob came round the corner im sure he see your **** first before you see him… !

You’re a brave man Dave. Very brave.

• George Elsmore

September 8, 2006 at 9:03 am

very very brave :lol1:

• David Rowland

September 8, 2006 at 9:09 am

😳

• Marcella Ross

September 8, 2006 at 9:11 am

😀 😀 😀 …….. what kinda reputation have I got here ………
    Big and Scary (?) 😮

• John Childs

September 8, 2006 at 9:15 am
    quote Marcella:

😀 😀 😀 …….. what kinda reputation have I got here ………
    Big and Scary (?) 😮

Well Marcella, I keep my distance and throw you chocolates every now and again to keep you sweet.

Work it out for yourself. 😀

• Marcella Ross

September 8, 2006 at 9:19 am

😮 😮 😮 😮 😮

John! How could you!!!!!! That’s it ……… I’ll have to drown my sorrows this evening 😥 😉

• Nicola McIntosh

September 8, 2006 at 9:20 am
    quote Marcella:

John! How could you!!!!!! That’s it ……… I’ll have to drown my sorrows this evening 😥 😉

ha-ha….as if you needed an excuse…………………….. :lol1: 😉

nik

• John Wilson

September 8, 2006 at 9:21 am
    quote Nicola Rowlands:

quote Marcella:

nik

I was just thinking the same thing myself :lol1: :lol1:

• George Elsmore

September 8, 2006 at 9:22 am

uh oh mad jock bird on war path :nagnag: *rofl*

• John Childs

September 8, 2006 at 9:33 am
    quote Marcella:

what kinda reputation have I got here ………

I think there’s a pattern forming here. 😀

• John Childs

September 8, 2006 at 9:36 am

OK. That’s enough.

I declare the rest of today a "Be Nice to Marcella Day"

Enjoy your drink.

Speaking of which, we’re going to a very good local Chinese tonight. Excellent food, excellent people running the place, and I never come home anything less than half p1ssed.

• Marcella Ross

September 8, 2006 at 9:46 am
    quote George Elsmore:

uh oh mad jock bird on war path :nagnag: *rofl*

Geo ……………. just as well you’re not within spitting distance. I’d have you! 😉

John – I may be heading to a local chinese tonight too …….. going out with my pal for food, booze and gossip. 😀

Be Nice to Marcella Day sounds like a good idea 😛 … but somehow I don’t see it lasting 🙁

• Nicholas Hedges

September 8, 2006 at 9:48 am

Mr Rowland. Look what you’ve started. And there was I thinking you were a ‘ladies man!’ 😉

Marcella, do you want me to go and let his tyres down?! 😀

• Marcella Ross

September 8, 2006 at 10:05 am

:blush: Nicholas , thank you! You’ve just started the ‘Be Nice to Marcella Day’ 😀

• George Elsmore

September 8, 2006 at 10:05 am

fool!

• Shane Drew

September 8, 2006 at 10:58 am
    quote Nicola Rowlands:

quote Marcella:

nik

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• David Rowland

September 8, 2006 at 11:22 am
    quote Nicholas Hedges:

Mr Rowland. Look what you’ve started. And there was I thinking you were a ‘ladies man!’ 😉

Marcella, do you want me to go and let his tyres down?! 😀

nicholas, was that you following me the other day in a grey astra?

i had a blow-out on a tyre outside where u r, someone stuck a pint glass in the middle of the road, so someone beat u too it.

• Nicholas Hedges

September 8, 2006 at 1:05 pm

"Next time, gadget, next time…"

Seems you’re upsetting a lot of people then Mr Rowland?! :lol1:
    Yep. Silver Astra was the folks’. edgemobile was in the garage and I didn’t have access to the girlfriend’s car. (Tragically we now have matching cars) -I’ll getme coat. 😳

• Judy Pate

September 18, 2006 at 12:30 am

Just wondered if anyone found Rob?
    Judy

• Robert Lambie

September 18, 2006 at 2:18 am

Hi judy
    good to see you back on the boards….

In a word, NO. Nobody claimed the prize. 😀
    I deliberately never replied to this when i got home because from about 20 miles of me getting home i saw 3 sign firms passing me looking at the van. thats just normal i guess for companies to glance over at others in their trade but i thought ill give it till sunday before closing the contest. just in case! :lol1:

as i said, none came forward so ill let the bounty roll-over to the next tour i do and see who gets lucky. so £400 up for grabs next time round 😉

The UK isnt that big to cover when driving, tiring, boring etc but not that big… big enough, but nothing compared to the sizes of states in America.

we left at midnight’ish drove to Manchester, fitted a sign in the dark with rain chucking down on us. we then drove to Wallasey, fitted another and drove to Liverpool. From liverpool i headed far south to Exeter. stayed the night in exeter spending the whole day and some fitting signage… before leaving from Exeter to Bristol and staying in Bristol.
    next morning onto Leeds. again fitting some signs in leeds before checking into a hotel for the night…. next moring we fitted some more signs in leeds and drove to hull for another couple of signs and then back to Scotland that night for around 7;30pm 😀

here is the route we drove…. the red line is the route we took and the purple dots where our signs were fitted etc

I have a list of the companies that i seen along my travels , so ill reply again listing those…
    I actually fitted two signs right across the road from a couple of big sign firms.
    WOOD & WOOD Signs in Exeter, and GREENS the signmakers in Hull.
    i am not sure about "wood and wood signs" but someone from GREENS is registered on the boards.

oh well… till the next time eh! 😛 😉