Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Graphtec Vinyl Cutters will graphtech EC1000-60 work with a Mac?

• will graphtech EC1000-60 work with a Mac?

Posted by Gareth Heeley on August 18, 2009 at 12:21 am

Hi guys, i wonder if you can help me

i recently picked up a CE1000-60 from ebay, i have been after a cutter for sometime to save from subcontracting.

before buying i have been talking to Jeff at graphtec (awesome guy & what amazing customer support this company offers) about this cutter & if it would run on my comp.

i have a macbook (OSX 10.5.8) and wanted to be sure i could get this to work, jeff & the seller of the cutter have both been awesome trying to sort me out, Jeff has assured me i can make it work using a USB serial adapter & cutting master 2 for my illustrator CS3

i have the cutter, set it up & got it running GPGL command language, installed all software & got a Keyspan usb to twin Serial converter + the mac cable from graphtec (installed all drivers for the keyspan)

thing is although i have done all this, my computer does not pic up the machine.

the keyspan serial assistant software keeps informing me its found the "extension but no devices found"

if i try cutting through illustrator it send the job but nothing happens

im i missing something obvious in the setup, this is my first cutter so im learning as i go, i have read through the cutter manual twice & cant see what im doing wrong, im now thinking its the USB converter & my port settings, my converter was 2nd hand as i could not find one new…. are these known for being temperamental?

i telling my troubles to to a friend today who works in a sign shop & his response was "it would be far easier to get a £100 desctop Pc to run it from than get it working on a mac"

anyone been through this before.

thanks
    G

Gareth Heeley replied 14 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • John Childs

August 18, 2009 at 2:33 am
    quote Gareth Heeley:

Yes.

I was trying to run an FC7000 from a Mac Mini, via Illustrator CS2, and it just wouldn’t have it at all.

I was eventually told (and bear in mind that it may have changed in the two years since then) that there was a problem with the Mac version of Cutting Master. I had to buy the cheapest flavour of Flexi to make it work.

Your friend is probably right – it would be easier to buy a cheap PC to run your Graphtec. My solution was more radical – I got rid of the Graphtec and bought a Mimaki.

I would echo your opinion of Graphtec Jeff though. Although the results weren’t to my satisfaction, he put in an awful lot of effort to try and solve my problem.

• Jason Davies

August 18, 2009 at 8:18 am

I am running a FC7000 on my mac through illustrator, no problem at all if that helps?

You nay need to change the settings on the cutter, do you have the manual?

• Gareth Heeley

August 18, 2009 at 10:19 am
    quote John Childs:

quote Gareth Heeley:

Yes.

I was trying to run an FC7000 from a Mac Mini, via Illustrator CS2, and it just wouldn’t have it at all.

I was eventually told (and bear in mind that it may have changed in the two years since then) that there was a problem with the Mac version of Cutting Master. I had to buy the cheapest flavour of Flexi to make it work.

Your friend is probably right – it would be easier to buy a cheap PC to run your Graphtec. My solution was more radical – I got rid of the Graphtec and bought a Mimaki.

I would echo your opinion of Graphtec Jeff though. Although the results weren’t to my satisfaction, he put in an awful lot of effort to try and solve my problem.

thanks john

quote Jason Davies:

I am running a FC7000 on my mac through illustrator, no problem at all if that helps?

You nay need to change the settings on the cutter, do you have the manual?

as i put above, i have the manual & read it twice, i have also changed the settings on the cutter as instructed by jeff.

thanks for the reply though.