Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers Why is my HP t610 stopping short on large prints?

• Why is my HP t610 stopping short on large prints?

Posted by Paul Wilson on September 13, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I’m trying to print a graphic 2 metres wide by around 500mm tall. For some reason, my hp t610 is getting about 60% of the way through the job and then stopping to allow the inks to dry, before feeding the other 40% of the job through unprinted and then cutting it off like it’s finished as normal.

The printer has behaved like this before when I was getting ‘out of memory’ error messages – HP said the way around it was to rasterize the artwork in illustrator before printing. This method has worked for about 18 months no issues, but now it’s acting up again only without any error messages this time?

See attached pic below – the ruler shown is 1 metre

Attachments:

Martin Pearson replied 13 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Chris Wool

September 13, 2010 at 4:43 pm

this used to be a real problem with early roland software.
    cure was clean up the computer as much as possible and make the input file to the rip as small as possible.
    like doing the art work at quarter size and blowing it up in the rip, some eps files get very big sometimes just to do simple drawings.

chris

• Paul Wilson

September 14, 2010 at 7:57 am

cheers for the reply chris, in fairness the printed area of the swoosh is about half the actual size of the elements used to create the entire piece but a clipping mask hides the rest of it.. I’ll have a play & report back as soon as I’ve sorted it.

Thanks muchly 🙂

• Paul Wilson

September 14, 2010 at 12:04 pm

narp, still doing the exact same thing wasting media and ink 👿

it prints the small jobs just fine but for some reason it keeps cutting off at the exact same distance into the print, regardless of whether the thin or thicker end is printed first.

For fecks sake, really starting to make my blood boil now!

• Peter Munday

September 14, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Are you using a rip or just the printer spooler? I often print files at 2mts but the printer spooler cannot handle that size, had to get a rip to do the job.

Peter

• Paul Wilson

September 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm

it’s a rip – I’m rasterizing in adobe illustrator to 150dpi (the nearest the audience will get to the artwork is about 20 feet as it’s going on a conference stageset backdrop).

The final file size showing in the print spooler is about 400kb – The printer has something like 256mb of internal memory (my understanding of whether the job inflates in size once it reaches the printer is minimal) but I can’t work it out… Ended up farming this particular print out to the sign group at morley near leeds..

• Paul Wilson

February 9, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Hiya guys,

still having the same trouble with this particular printer

This print is meant to be 1750mm wide but as it was before, it gets to 1350mm, stops any further printing, but then runs the sheet out & cuts it off into the media basket (I selected for this page to be 1900mm long with the 1750mm graphic.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? It worked great but then suddenly started doing this a few months ago and it’s causing no end of stress

thanks in advance

• Martin Pearson

February 9, 2011 at 1:58 pm

What rip are you using Paul ?? My first question would have been are you printing from the windows spooler but you said you are not. What operating system are you running as well as 256mb memory is tiny and really a bit of a waste of space on anything past windows 98.

• Paul Wilson

February 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm
    quote Martin:

What rip are you using Paul ?? My first question would have been are you printing from the windows spooler but you said you are not. What operating system are you running as well as 256mb memory is tiny and really a bit of a waste of space on anything past windows 98.

Noooo @ 256mb internal memory, 256mb is in the printer 🙂 I installed 4gb of ram in my PC about 6 months ago…

All I’m doing is rasterizing the artwork in illustrator, then ‘file > print > selecting ‘HP DesignJet t610’ and also the media size ‘610 x 1900’ and clicking ‘print’ – how would I select to print from a different spooler? (You’ll have to forgive me as I’m at the boundary of my knowledge with spoolers and rips)

Thanks for the reply Martin 🙂

edit: had a quick google about Raster Image Processor’s – will have a proper read tonight at home. The strange thing is that this printer used to print large jobs (2-3 even 4 metres) without any trouble. Now it has capped itself at 135cm… Will also give HP support a ring (those lovely indian boys have helped me out with hours of over the phone support in the past)

• Stephen Morriss

February 9, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I had this problem with my old HP3000cp, I thought it was the printer so ended up using jpg’s for long files but when I got Coreldraw X3 it was able to print long files.
    I think there is something about it in the Corel X3 blurb which prompted me to try it.

So I think it’s down to the program your printing from more than the print spooler.

I also ended up clicking use process job in computer memory, even fitting more memory to the printer dodn’t cure that one.

Steve

• Glenn Sharp

February 9, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Paul,

as already said, it sounds more like it’s a problem printing direct from Illustrator rather than a problem with your printer

• Martin Pearson

February 9, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Paul, from what you have just said you don’t have a RIP, you are printing directly from the windows print spooler.

Couple of things you can try, increase the timeout settings on the printer port which may help and also in the settings try selecting the option that spools the whole document before it starts printing.

Or you could buy a RIP but make sure your sitting down when you check prices :lol1: :lol1: