Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Where can I purchase a Roland SP 300 new sponge? Help?

• Where can I purchase a Roland SP 300 new sponge? Help?

Posted by Lloyd Morgan on November 14, 2014 at 4:27 pm

i need some advice please
    i seem to be getting what i would describe as fuzzy prints, if i clean the heads it seems to be crisp again but then after a few prints the problem is back.
    i open up the right hand side cover and noticed the sponge is saturated and pooling sticky ink, it looks very messy.
    i’m guessing this could be causing the problem or may cause a problem in the future if i don’t change the sponge.
    do you know where i can buy one in the UK? when i looked online they were available in america for $145 as a kit. seems a lot of a sponge!

any help is much appreciated

Stafford Cox replied 9 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • David Rogers

November 14, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Sponge is really there to catch a VERY brief firing of the heads before it prints. IIRC

I’d be looking at your wipers (when did you last change them?) and bidirectional alignment issues if you’ve fuzzy prints.

Dave

• Chris Wool

November 14, 2014 at 9:39 pm

The original sponge does swell with age and can rub the head causeing poor print you can cut down a kitchen type pad but some melt with the solvent ink have you asked Roland for the part

• Gary Birch

November 15, 2014 at 8:21 am

I’d try digiprint supplies. Details on the home page

• Stafford Cox

November 23, 2014 at 7:25 pm

As David says, I’d look at wipers.

I would recommend using genuine wipers (list price from Roland are about £10 each) rather than the aftermarket ones. They tend to be harder and put more load on the motor that drives them, and also the genuine ones have a felt side to absorb the excess ink. Non genuine ones don’t and tend to flick the excess all over the printer.

The sponges (mist pads) are available for a couple pounds each (again, genuine Roland) and are a very worthwhile investment in my opinion. The only thing I begrudge paying for is the pink waste pipe. That is a disgusting price!!

Let me know if I can help at all.

Stafford