Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl whats peoples thoughts on avery 700 & 800 vinyl?

• whats peoples thoughts on avery 700 & 800 vinyl?

Posted by Luca Cabano on June 2, 2008 at 9:04 pm

does anybody use the avery 700? i have been offered it at quite a good price but want to know you thoughts on it, is it any good? i have also ben offered the avery 800 at the same price as the oracle 751c, is it better or worse? if anybody has any thoughts i would be very grateful.

John Childs replied 15 years, 11 months ago 7 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • John Childs

June 2, 2008 at 10:05 pm

It might help to do a search because this has been discussed before.

To summarise, Jill hates Avery with a passion normally reserved for child molesters, I like 700 a lot and it is our weapon of choice, and everybody else is somewhere in between. 😀

• John Thomson

June 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm

I have used Avery 700 recently to match specific colours and have to say for weeding and application I found it to be a really nice material to work with.

John

• Warren Beard

June 2, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Who supplies Avery Vinyl? (who do you recommend)

I wrapped a car this weekend with 900 series and really liked the feel of it, I also have a swatch book but have no idea where I got it from 😳 and it has a very nice large collection of colours compared to Oracle 551 so would like to see what price I can get it for and maybe try some out.

cheers

Warren

• Karl Williams

June 2, 2008 at 10:45 pm
    quote John Childs:

It might help to do a search because this has been discussed before.

To summarise, Jill hates Avery with a passion normally reserved for child molesters, I like 700 a lot and it is our weapon of choice, and everybody else is somewhere in between. 😀

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• David Rowland

June 2, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Spandex is avery supplier and think there is one or two more.

We use 800, hardly any 700 but sometimes 900

• John Childs

June 2, 2008 at 11:35 pm
    quote Warren Beard:

Who supplies Avery Vinyl? (who do you recommend)

I wrapped a car this weekend with 900 series and really liked the feel of it, I also have a swatch book but have no idea where I got it from 😳 and it has a very nice large collection of colours compared to Oracle 551 so would like to see what price I can get it for and maybe try some out.

Warren,

Apart from Spandex you can also buy Avery from Robert Horne and Thyssen Krupp.

You’ll find a big price difference between Oracal 551 and Avery 900. They’re not the same thing at all.

We use 700 on all our flat panel work, anything with contours we go for 900. Don’t use 800 at all – it seems to be neither one thing nor the other.

• Glenn Sharp

June 3, 2008 at 8:03 am

I agree with John..

We’ve used Avery 500 and 700 series vinyls for about 15 years

Not had one failure with it…… an ever increasing choice of colours…….I can’t fault it

• Warren Beard

June 3, 2008 at 8:26 am

Cheers John, I was not contemplating switching from 551 to 900 I just mentioned that I have only used 900 and liked it so though Avery might be a nice material in general, I have a 700 swatch and it has a nice selection on colours, I would like to find an equivalent to 551 to try but with the discount from Europoint I’m not sure if it will be cost effective?

Thanks guys

Warren

• John Childs

June 3, 2008 at 8:41 am

I understand Warren.

But don’t fall into the trap of thinking that because 551 is a few pence per metre cheaper than 700 that it is better value for money. I don’t think it is.

Time is the most expensive commodity here and the savings we make both in weeding and applying Avery more than make up for any extra cost. I also think that the finish is better with 700, especially in less experienced hands. Less wasteage too.

• Warren Beard

June 3, 2008 at 8:51 am

Good point John, I think I should order some and give it a try, will call a few supplied and check prices, do any of them give UKSG discounts?

cheers

Warren

• Jill Marie Welsh

June 3, 2008 at 12:27 pm

John you would hate it too if it failed on you and you had to re-do several jobs for FREE and Avery turned a deaf ear to your complaints.
    Use it at your own risk.
    http://www.avery-vinyl.com/
    Some of the pix on this site are from my Avery failures, which were not fun.
    Stick with the Oracal, it’s good stuff and I’ve not had a failure with it.
    Love….Jill

• John Childs

June 3, 2008 at 1:07 pm
    quote Jillbeans:

John you would hate it too if it failed on you and you had to re-do several jobs for FREE and Avery turned a deaf ear to your complaints.

Yeah, I know where you are coming from Jill. I’m only kidding. 😀