Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl whats best banner vinyl or oracal 751?

• whats best banner vinyl or oracal 751?

Posted by Timmy Mallet on April 22, 2003 at 8:08 pm

Just wondering how well a job Oracal 751 (for E.G) would do for use on a banner redo I have got to quote for. The banner type is a mobile triangle shapped frame type thingy. Also looking at the banner faces is there a top and bottom face as it looks like the pattering is deeper one side to the other?

Timmy…..

Kevin.Beck replied 21 years ago 8 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

April 22, 2003 at 8:27 pm

The side smoothest Timmy, that’s the side for the text. Another way is, your lettering the side that the hem hasn’t been folded into…

As far as oracal 751 goes.. No! Don’t use anything other than banner vinyl. That’s if inks are out.
    Vinyl goes brittle very quickly. Banner vinyl does not. There are a few reasons why not too. Some say they use normal vinyl and get away with it. Maybe so. I bet it’s a mess after a couple of weeks though. Just my opinion of course! 😉 🙄

• J. Hulme

April 22, 2003 at 9:12 pm

No, I too wouldn’t use anything but banner vinyl for banners, its totally different
    (as in flexible and pliable) to normal vinyls, and its a pleasure to weed and work with 😛
    You’ll be surprised how quick it is compared to the other stuff

• Kevin.Beck

April 22, 2003 at 9:19 pm

I use none banner vinyl for my first banner, must have saved at least £10….

Then had to redo the banner again 2 weeks later. I had to strip and clean the banner, then re letter it again. Definately not worth the aggro.

It`s a pain in the wallet, to stock both types of vinyl. But sell the banner, saying your using the proper stuff, and the banner will last.

I`ve got a banner in my van. It`s been there for 4 years, gets pulled out every other weekend, then rolled up again and chucked in back in the van. Still good as new….

on the subject of banners,

what would you all charge for a 20 x 4ft double sided/total block banner, yellow in colour. Just text both sides…… Just seeing if I`m charging it ok.

• Mike Grant

April 22, 2003 at 9:50 pm

OK some tecky info.

Banner PVC is constantly giving of a gas called PLASTISIZER, thats what you smell when you sniff the vinyl and gives it the familier plastic aroma.

Now this gas slowly reacts with the adhesive on the vinyl and causes it to go all soft and gooee. That is when you notice the vinyl puckering up after rolling out the banner, and leaving sticky marks that all the dirt sticks too.

So general rule of thumb is……………..

DON’T CUT CORNERS

Here endeth the first lesson! 🙂

• Martin Pearson

April 22, 2003 at 10:47 pm

When I first started I thought vinyl was vinyl and one of the first jobs I did was a banner, I charged quite a bit for this job and when the guy came back a couple of weeks later because the vinyl was falling off I didnt know how to put it right.
    I lost a customer who could have given me a lot of business through ignorance. I have since learnt my lesson and will only do banners in banner vinyl. I have been told by customers that the prices are to dear and the guy up the road can do it cheaper only to have them come in a couple of weeks latter and ask me to do it properly.
    As everyone else has said use banner vinyl for banners its not just a gimmick by suppliers to make extra money it is a completly different material with a different adhesive.

• Martin C

April 22, 2003 at 11:18 pm

I do a lot of Banners using Tekton/Tyvek….indestructible paper on a roll ….for temporary banners and use ‘Banner Ups’ as grommets (brilliant for fixing all sorts of POS). I then use the cheapest vinyl I can get my hands on and as Tyvek isn’t plasticised it’s fine and dandy. The only trouble with this material is you need to educate the person fixing/storing it as it doesn’t stretch and fold like a normal banner but the local school is using their May Fayre banner for the third year in a row and it still looks great

On anything with a hint of plastic I too use Banner vinyl. (:)

• Lorraine Buchan

April 23, 2003 at 8:13 am

In my experiance, and i’m only going on the suppliers that i use, you can get away with oracal 751/651 on economy banners from banner box. There doesn’t seem to be the plasticiser in these banners that there is in the premier version. If you use 751 on the premier version the plasticiser will react with the vinyl and the vinyl will crincle and the adhesive will go all goey, leaving not a pretty sight in less than a week!

• Henry Barker

April 23, 2003 at 5:15 pm

As Mike says its all about migration of plasticisers, so never use regular vinyl, there are manufacturers that make banner material to take normal vinyl, its coated in some way, and called Britex over here, we use standard banners and normally do them with Avery paintmask and screeninks, iof its something to last abit longer or Avery 1200 banner film which is pretty cheap.

• Martin Pearson

April 23, 2003 at 5:21 pm

As with most things I suppose it comes down to what the banner is going to be used for and what the customer will pay. Although I use banner vinyl for banners all the time if a customer asked me for a cheap banner to last a few days as long as I had explained to them what could happen if I used the wrong sort of vinyl then I would be happy to do the job for them rather than loose the work. As long as the customer didnt expect me to take responsibility if the letters started falling off etc.

• Kevin.Beck

April 23, 2003 at 5:29 pm

but when you look at the price differance between the 2 vinyls, theres only a couple of quid in it!!!