Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl What cast vinyl to use? and is mactac 9800 a cast

• What cast vinyl to use? and is mactac 9800 a cast

Posted by Martyn Heath on May 29, 2020 at 7:23 am

Hi guys,

Im trying to find a good cast vinyl to use. Ive always used avery 800 in the past however recently it hasnt seemed very stretchable. I was supplied some graphics last year for a lorry, it was Oracal 751c and i thought it was amazing in comparison, heated into inch recesses no problem. However i cant find a supplier of it out here.

In the past i have used wrap film on lorrys but this seems a little overkill and costs more.

I have a swatch for mactac 9800 pro. It seems like cast but doesnt say anywhere on the literature. Some websites describe it as cast other dont so im a little confused.

Graham Scanlan replied 4 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Jamie Wood

May 29, 2020 at 7:46 am

MacTac 9800 is polymeric, and is very good on flat panels & slight curves. I don’t think it would be suitable for recesses or compound curves.

Avery 777 is cast, and 900 series. I think 3M 80 and 100 series are cast as well, but stand to be corrected on this.

Rob will probably be able to advise on other brands.

• Gil Johnson

May 29, 2020 at 8:28 am

Hi Martyn,

You can obtain Oracal 751 and 951 from both Europoint and Antalis. The 900 wrap series also.

As Jamie says also Avery 900, not sure if 777 is still available?

There are others (Hexis do a good range).

We use Oracal predominantly as like you say it’s a great product to use.

• Martyn Heath

May 29, 2020 at 10:12 am

Thanks guys. Yes i have a swatch for avery 900 but its slightly more expensive than SWF so seems like a pointless product.

• Gil Johnson

May 29, 2020 at 10:33 am

SWF?

• David Hammond

May 29, 2020 at 12:04 pm

SWF, supreme wrap film?

• Graham Scanlan

May 29, 2020 at 5:12 pm

Also the new Mactac wrapping (ColourWrap) cast into the mix, a competitively priced wrap film, anything with a recess use a true wrapping cast that’s recess ready Both ColourWrap and SWF are just that

The other Cad cut cast films are designed for longer life especially over extreme changes in temperature , less shrinkage and conformable over moderate curves and rivets. The adhesives in the Cad films tend to be a flat permanent adhesive where as the wrap film tend to be bubble free / conformable and Repositionable

Even Oracal 970 series recommends trimming in the recesses

I guess choose the correct film for the application

And af mentioned before 9800 is a premium polymeric not a cast.

• Martyn Heath

May 30, 2020 at 12:48 pm
    quote David Hammond:

SWF, supreme wrap film?

Yes avery supreme wrap film

• Martyn Heath

May 30, 2020 at 12:53 pm
    quote Graham Scanlan:

Also the new Mactac wrapping (ColourWrap) cast into the mix, a competitively priced wrap film, anything with a recess use a true wrapping cast that’s recess ready Both ColourWrap and SWF are just that

The other Cad cut cast films are designed for longer life especially over extreme changes in temperature , less shrinkage and conformable over moderate curves and rivets. The adhesives in the Cad films tend to be a flat permanent adhesive where as the wrap film tend to be bubble free / conformable and Repositionable

Even Oracal 970 series recommends trimming in the recesses

I guess choose the correct film for the application

And af mentioned before 9800 is a premium polymeric not a cast.

Bang on graham, colourwrap is verywell priced. My only issue with over using wrap film is the size of the rolls. My plotter is 610 which means cutting down vinyl and having large amounts of left over. Even with a 1220 plotter its still a pain with 1500 rolls.

what confused me with 9800 is how cast like it felt and acted. Really nice product.

• Graham Scanlan

May 31, 2020 at 6:34 am

I guess the rolls can be a pain with that size plotter,
    Mactac 9800 is what I’d class as a full fat polymeric with nothing taken out of the soup so to speak,