Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl What are the properties and lifespan of Mactac 9800 please?

• What are the properties and lifespan of Mactac 9800 please?

Posted by Fred McLean on May 25, 2007 at 3:39 pm

What’s the properties and lifespan?
    customers picked this for flat sides of van and i thought it was avery!

Cheers
    F

Aaron & Chris replied 16 years, 10 months ago 12 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

May 25, 2007 at 3:40 pm

9800 is a good calendar vinyl. i used it for years. back then it had a 5-7 year life but something tells me it was increased just recently., but i could be wrong there…

dont worry, you wont have any issues with it…

• Richard Urquhart

May 25, 2007 at 3:54 pm

here we go !!
    its the best i love it and done some jobs where it should have been cast and they are still looking great

rich

• Fred McLean

May 25, 2007 at 3:58 pm

Great have a 10metre roll just lying gathering dust 😀
    Cheers guys

• Jon Marshall

May 25, 2007 at 6:14 pm

I’ve just started to use MacTac vinyls and they seem pretty good. Even the 4-5 year 8300 would be fine for flat panels on a van.

• David Rogers

May 25, 2007 at 6:42 pm
    quote Robert Lambie:

9800 is a good calendar vinyl. i used it for years. back then it had a 5-7 year life but something tells me it was increased just recently., but i could be wrong there…

dont worry, you wont have any issues with it…

Currently advertised as a 7-8 year. It’s nice stuff to cut & apply – and can handle contours without too much bother. (Actually, this largely depends on your skill, patience & experience with the material.)

I use it for two purposes – colour matching and/or fleet livery (trucks) when it’s likely to suffer a bit more during its lifespan.

Normally I use a 5-7yr calendared for everything else (Ritrama 400) as I refuse to stock anything under 5 year life…for any purpose. Not snobbery – just I plan on continuing to have customers comment "the livery / sign looked as good as the day it went on" when they are getting new vans or shops "Can you do my three new ones?"

A few pounds spent now can reap great rewards later.

Dave

• Ian Higgins

May 25, 2007 at 6:52 pm

Hi
    another Mac Tac Fan here we run 9800 gloss and 8900 for anything in Matt except black and white where we use the 8300 range.

Cheers
    Ian

• Stephen Morriss

May 25, 2007 at 6:59 pm

Good vinyl, the bubble stuff is even better, just used about 10m 1220 wide today and never had a single problem.

Steve

• Richard Urquhart

May 25, 2007 at 7:22 pm

Steve I have to say i agree with you but disagree
    the bubble free is great for flood coating and large stuff but i did have a problem with some text which was around 2 inches high, we found the vinyl came away to easy from the silicon paper

rich

• Jill Marie Welsh

May 25, 2007 at 8:24 pm

I wouldn’t take a free lifetime supply of MacTac or Avery!
    I like Oracal, Calon, or 3M (Gerber) best.
    I found the MacTac to be brittle to weed, and the Avery had adhesion problems here in the US.
    Love….Jill

• Robert Lambie

May 25, 2007 at 10:42 pm

i Havent heard of issues on the MacTac being brittle Jill but i have heard a mountain of them from the states on Avery’s vinyl shrinking etc. not only on the vinyl but on the support when the vinyl failed! so i understand your issues with them on that… not good! 😕

• Jon Marshall

May 25, 2007 at 11:53 pm

The MacTac we’ve used this week hasn’t been brittle at all. Even the frosted etch was soft. We also used some B-Free on a part wrap today which was also very good. (BTW they don’t recommend this stuff for small text)

We’ve been using Hexis for 7-8 years but will be switching now.

• Stephen Morriss

May 26, 2007 at 4:40 pm

Yes Richard the bubble free isn’t any good for text really, this job was flood coating.

Jill the 3-5 year may seem a little brittle but never had a problem with it and I’d describe the 9800 as firm rather than brittle.

Steve

• Jon Marshall

May 26, 2007 at 7:07 pm

The 8300 is now 4-5 year. Feels softer than the equivalent Hexis 5-7 year to me.

• Mark Nihotte

May 26, 2007 at 10:28 pm

We switched to Mactac 9800 and Macfleet as our main vehicle vinyl about a year ago – so far it has been an excellent choice – one of the few vinyls that can truly conform on serious compounds curves (ie we do bumpers and the like in one piece – no bubbles, folds or cracks – but it takes two and is a time consuming ‘work of art’ – you get what you pay for)

• Michael Potter

May 29, 2007 at 9:33 am

we switched to mactac 9800 about 18 months ago & love It. 😀

• Janko

June 12, 2007 at 5:32 pm

we’re using mactac 9800 now for 10 or even more years…
    no complaints at all… 😎

• Aaron & Chris

June 13, 2007 at 11:40 am

we are mactac all day long. 9800? love the stuff!

We only stock mactac as we like to know exactly what we are dealing with on every job and what it’s limits are.

Can’t fault the stuff 😀

Aaron.