Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Waves on loaded medium on VersaCamm SP540V

• Waves on loaded medium on VersaCamm SP540V

Posted by pilot on July 22, 2007 at 7:21 am

Hi to all,

from time to time, I have a problem with waves on the loaded medium – please see the picture below. Sometimes are the waves no problem during printing, but sometimes the quality of printing suffer on the wave.
    What is the reason for this waves? Can I avoid it?

Thank you and best regards.

David Rowland replied 16 years, 2 months ago 10 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • David Rogers

July 22, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Try FEWER media clamps, and don’t leave the vinyl sitting on the heaters when it’s idle / reduce the heat.

I’ve seen it occasionally on my cadet, but ONLY when I’ve left the media loaded, clamped & still being heated.

Dave

• Chris Wool

July 22, 2007 at 9:56 pm

as dave says really use 2 clamps for printing vinyl but all 4 for cutting when laminated.
    high humidity plays a big part some makes are better than outers, some times i precondition the vinyl by feeding out over the heaters and back again around 4 ft.

chris

• Shane Drew

July 22, 2007 at 10:36 pm

I find this when the ambient temp is very cold. As chris says, some material is more prone than others. Should improve when the heaters do its work.

• pilot

July 23, 2007 at 8:02 am

Thanks Dave,
    this works brilliant. I was wondering about fewer clamps – the supplier highlighted to use every clamp – but it really works.

quote David Rogers:

Try FEWER media clamps, and don’t leave the vinyl sitting on the heaters when it’s idle / reduce the heat.

I’ve seen it occasionally on my cadet, but ONLY when I’ve left the media loaded, clamped & still being heated.

Dave

• pilot

July 23, 2007 at 8:05 am

Chris and Shane, thanks for the fast help.

• Mark Elvidge

July 25, 2007 at 7:55 pm

you could also increase the vacuum power in the media settingd to hold the media to the bed.

• Shane Drew

July 25, 2007 at 10:44 pm
    quote mark optimise:

you could also increase the vacuum power in the media settingd to hold the media to the bed.

Hi Mark, I’ve got mine set to maximum, makes little difference 😕

• Gavin MacMillan

July 26, 2007 at 7:05 am

I find the vacuum makes a huge difference, printing banner without it on max is not really possible, maybe just the media I use, don’t really notice much difference with vinyl though.

G

• Terry Furlong

November 11, 2007 at 6:47 pm

We used to have this problem especially on long prints. Our 540 actually pulls the vinyl through slightly off line so on a long print it tends to run out slightly. If the clamps holding the roll in place don’t let the roll move from side to side then you get waves. I also found that if you move the roll about 4 inches away from the far right position you get less problems. Sometimes it runs off and gets jammed on the media clamp. We’ve also took the media clamps off.

I also read somewhere to roll out the vinyl when cutting to save wear. If i roll out about 4ft of 600m vinyl then it will run out over an inch and snag up. If i leave it on the roll its fine.

• Chris Wool

November 11, 2007 at 10:00 pm

terry you have a problem with either the way you load the vinyl or the rollers on the vinyl holder, what you described is not normal behavior.

chris

• Shane Drew

November 11, 2007 at 10:22 pm
    quote Chris Wool:

terry you have a problem with either the way you load the vinyl or the rollers on the vinyl holder, what you described is not normal behavior.

chris

hhmm agree with that.

Perhaps your rollers are dirty.

• David Rogers

November 11, 2007 at 11:18 pm
    quote Shane Drew:

quote Chris Wool:

chris

hhmm agree with that.

Perhaps your rollers are dirty.

Yeah, something seriously up there. I’ll easily print 3m or so without so much as a waver in tracking. Maybe the back media rollers are misaligned so it pulls in squint.

• pilot

November 12, 2007 at 7:24 am

Yes, the rollers are important. We bought a set of new rollers, that are now provided in Versacamm VP. The rollers can be fixed to the medium and it works pretty good.

• Peter Shaw

November 12, 2007 at 1:31 pm

You should be able to get perfect tracking for long distances.

It is essential that the feed roll is exactly in line with the path through the machine, if it is not it will cause drag on one side.

I also never use those plastic insert roller things and only ever have 2 pinch rollers for printing.

Check that the metal guides are clean underneath. They can get glue which then causes drag.

Also ensure you have enough material out at the front, particularly with heavy materials such as banner. The initial push is sometimes reluctant until the material lays over the curve of the bed.

Peter

• David Crocker

February 25, 2008 at 5:58 pm

I have this problem from time to time and found that a few factors were involved.

They were…
    1. print room temperature. Doing some prints first thing on a cold day would buckle the media, especially vinyl (i primarily print canvas)
    2. the clamps were too close to the edge of the media for the print job, so i would bring them a lot closer and set my Base points accordingly.
    3. the media wasnt coming off the roll properly.

Since these problems were addressed I havent had many ripples but a little trick i found was to either do a pre-feed or to unroll a lot of the media which would give some weight to the pre-feed and this did the trick also, especially with canvas.

Ive also used the long clamps on some media and this worked as well, I agree that having some extra media hanging out of the front of the machine can help too, i found that it gives extra weight. Ok you might waste a little but better that than to have a nasty misprint half way through a job 🙁

Cheers
    dave.

• David Rowland

February 25, 2008 at 11:30 pm

well i would have said it was the sudden change from cold to hot… but i dont have this machine.
    Also if you overcooking the material.