Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers VS-640 White looks light blue issue – help please?

• VS-640 White looks light blue issue – help please?

Posted by PeteMiller on November 4, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Hi – I have an issue with the white printing light blue. It is driving me nuts. I have used this print job a number of times but on this occasion its looking very light blue. I have carried out a couple of cleans etc. Changed the wiper. Cleaned and checked for blockage on the cap top.
    Any ideas would be great.
    Cheers

Chris Wool replied 8 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Chris Wool

November 4, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Last time that happened to mine had to change the damper and cap top. So a bit paranoid about it happening again
    I have found that the cap top must be changed at least every 6 months even if it looks OK.
    Look at the pipeline near the damper does it have a blue tint

When using white or silver as it’s doing its initial ink dump and clean I pour about two tea spoons of cleaning fluid on the cap top as it’s sucking dry as have had a pipe block as well
    For your problem I might try a new cap top and one power clean

• PeteMiller

November 4, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will replace the cap top as suggested. It’s annoying as you would think printing a single colour would be pretty straight forward.
    What I find confusing is the evenness of the light blue produced.

• Chris Wool

November 4, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Have you created a new file of maybe just a oblong of white just for reassurance the file is not faulty

• PeteMiller

November 4, 2015 at 9:54 pm

I did not mention it’s strange that print tests are perfect. The white is white. But I have used this file a number of times before… I was looking at trying printing using a spot colour directly from Versaworks. The original file was produced in Coreldraw.
    Is there a good way of confirming the printer is actually being told to print white!

• Kevin Flowers

November 4, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Hi
    its been a while since playing with the Roland white machines but are you using the white from the Roland palette in Corel because if not then as far as i can remember it shouldn’t be using the white but as i said its been a while

Kev

• Chris Wool

November 4, 2015 at 11:38 pm

I would have thought the test print to small to check with
    As the blue part of the head is next to the white part it’s not uncommon to have a blue contaminate in the white normally due to the cap top
    Make a new file say oblong and colour it rdgwhite in vw use self adhesive clear and select white only.
    Rip the file and look in the print history it will say what ink has been used
    And look at the file you are struggling with it just should say only white used

• PeteMiller

November 4, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Cheers thanks.
    I will try it tomorrow.

• PeteMiller

November 12, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back.
    Still no change – well a small improvement.
    I have…
    Replaced the cap top
    Replaced the white damper
    Numerous cleans
    Numerous power cleans
    A choke cl in the service menu.
    To be honest the choke cl made the most difference.
    The damper swap made little difference and the ink in the damper did not look blue. In fact it was worse until I did the choke cl.
    I am stumped.

• Chris Wool

November 13, 2015 at 12:44 am

Not good
    Have a very close look at the white print do you think the blue is mixed in or a very fine over spray. Is there any evidence of blue next the the white print. Static can cause this if you are lucky

• PeteMiller

November 13, 2015 at 9:00 am

Here are a couple of prints. I think it is mixed in.
    Today I’m going to swap the damper again mostly because I’ve run out of ideas and I may have been unlucky last time.
    The blue is pretty consistent across the print.
    I have been printing large squares in white only to see if it is reducing!!
    It does appear to Be.

Attachments:

• PeteMiller

November 13, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Hi
    Thanks for your help – just to let you know the second damper swap did the trick. Not sure why the first did not work though. Maybe something I did.
    Printing white again – lets hope the customer is not to upset about the couple of days delay.

• Chris Wool

November 13, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Pleased ok now it does sound like it was contaminated and the ink used to change the dampers has flushed it out
    Well done and good luck

My vs has been updated to max 2 white which is more convincing but the change over does use a fair amount of all the inks