Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers VS-640 – Cutting Vinyl

• VS-640 – Cutting Vinyl

Posted by John Mackenzie on October 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I very rarely cut on my VS-640 but is there a way to make the printer just crack straight on with cutting instead of feeding the vinyl out at a snails pace first?

I presume it is checking there is enough vinyl but there will be and I have 15m in total (in approx 3½m lengths) and I just can’t bear the thought of it doing its normal thing of chugging all the vinyl out before it actually starts cutting!

Joe Wigzell replied 11 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Chris Wool

October 24, 2012 at 3:35 pm

was going to say uncheck pre feed put can’t find it in VW

where does it start cutting at the far end after its fed out or does it roll it back in then start

• Chris Hansen

October 25, 2012 at 12:09 am

Can’t speak for the VS, but VP I worked on was completely random as to when it pre fed or not.. :banghead:

• Andy Fellows

October 25, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I’m assuming you’re using VersaWorks. Have you set the operation mode to ‘cut only’ in ‘cut controls’?

• Joe Wigzell

October 26, 2012 at 9:08 am
    quote :

where does it start cutting at the far end after its fed out or does it roll it back in then start

The pre-feed setting is on the machine under the menu not in VersaWorks, as mentioned you may want to check that this function is disabled.
    If you are doing a cut only job it shouldn’t need to pre-feed the whole job! Ensure that it is a cut-only job as Andy said, if it still set to print and cut even though there is only cut information it will thinkt hat there is print information there and feed accordingly.

[/quote]

• John Mackenzie

October 26, 2012 at 11:37 am
    quote Joe Wigzell:

quote :

The pre-feed setting is on the machine under the menu not in VersaWorks, as mentioned you may want to check that this function is disabled.
    If you are doing a cut only job it shouldn’t need to pre-feed the whole job! Ensure that it is a cut-only job as Andy said, if it still set to print and cut even though there is only cut information it will thinkt hat there is print information there and feed accordingly.

Pre-Feed is disabled, I am just sending the job with Cut Only enabled from VW… fingers crossed!

EDIT: That was it! Cheers chaps, what address do I send the kisses to!!!

• Joe Wigzell

October 26, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Woop, glad it worked!..There’s always a solution somewhere eh!

• John Mackenzie

October 26, 2012 at 1:26 pm

While I’m here I don’t suppose anybody knows how I can turn the option off on the VS640 where it asks for a material length? I just press ENTER to ignore it but I’m sure when I first got it 18months ago it never used to ask this…

• Joe Wigzell

October 26, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Hiya,

There is a function in the menu in which you can set the material length of a roll that you are putting on. Then when you have finished with your print you can print a little memo to tell you how much is left. Now when you come to use that roll again you will know how much is left on the roll!
    If you disable this function (perhaps you turned it on accidentally) then it shouldn’t ask you for the media length!

Hope that helps.

Joe