Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers VP540 print / cut problem

• VP540 print / cut problem

Posted by Nick Monir on November 8, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Hi folks,

I’ve been pulling my hair out over the weekend trying to fix our VP540. Basically if we print & cut without removing the media in between it is perfect. However, if we print with registration marks, remove it, then replace it, the cut is misaligned.

I’ve carried out the test prints and made some changes to the settings as they were all a little out but this hasn’t improved the problem. I’ve attached a quick drawing as I can’t really explain it accurately. The dotted line is what it should cut, whilst the solid line is what it is actually cutting. It seems to be feeding the media unevenly. Yet, when it looks for the registration points it finds them no problem. I’ve checked for all the obvious things like worn or damaged pinch rollers etc.

Could anyone also recommend an engineer in the Glasgowish area? We haven’t had any problems in the past but would be worthwhile to have someone to hand, should anything go wrong.

Please help me before I become a bubbling mess curled up in a corner of the workshop!!!!! 🙂

Nick.

Attachments:

printingnorthwales replied 8 years, 2 months ago 8 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Chris Wool

November 8, 2010 at 11:39 pm

are the reg marks evenly spaced around the print.

set up a new file with only a oblong in it does it do the same.

there are two different knife to print set ups.
    one is print and cut which you say is fine
    other is knife to reg marks, on some machines this is only available via the service menu.

• Ray Sturman

November 9, 2010 at 1:39 am

Hi Nick,
    Sounds like the media backing whilst off the printer is getting contaminated with dust or is picking up moisture and transferring it to the grit rollers. Also worth checking that the pinch rollers are putting down even pressures and that the actual rollers have no flat spots as it sounds very much like a feed problem. Are you using the same media as usual? if not then try some of your regular media to see if it occurs with that. Also check that what you have cut is cut properly as a dull blade used with heavy blade force is like putting the brakes on the media which may cause the grit rollers to slip.

Could also be with the cooler damp weather conditions at the moment that media straight off the roll is OK (print and cut) but media that’s been off the roll for a few hours is picking up moisture from the cooler air.

• Martin Oxenham

November 9, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Make sure you don’t press "get media width" when you put it back in after laminating as this will give the problems your getting.

• Lee Attewell

November 12, 2010 at 11:46 am

Also make sure you don’t centre the media when ripping. I’ve done this and it’s caused no end of misery.

• Warren Beard

November 12, 2010 at 11:58 am
    quote Martin Oxenham:

Make sure you don’t press “get media width” when you put it back in after laminating as this will give the problems your getting.

I do this every time and never have a problem.

Lee is right though, I used to always print in the centre of the media and had troubles when reloading to cut.

Temperamental machines in my opinion :lol1:

• Mo Gillis-Coates

November 12, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Iv’e had this problem in the past, and it was the media being cut banging on the guides for the normal media roll, so I took off the roll at the back of the machine and removed the roller bars for the media and then put it back through again…..fine

I have found that I have to keep my laminated cut sizes below about 1.2m so that it doesn’t bang on the ground when cutting

my twopenneth

BigMo

• Nick Monir

November 13, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Thanks for the help guys. After a bit more messing about I gave in and called an engineer. He hasn’t actually been yet but from what I’ve described he reckons there is a problem with the optical eye. He’s coming out on Monday to repair & service the printer. I’ll let you know how it all turns out.

Nick.

• printingnorthwales

February 11, 2016 at 10:16 am

how did you get on with this problem. we had a very similar problem, seems to have been rectified at the moment by adding the additional rollers.