Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Off Topic Chat Vote for Passchendaele 1917 Memorial Museum.

• Vote for Passchendaele 1917 Memorial Museum.

Posted by John Childs on March 20, 2008 at 3:59 pm

I have received an email from a friend in Belgium asking for help. Her email is self explanatory so I’ll just leave you to read it. The Passchendaele Museum is run by volunteers and is a credit to their hard work and dedication so, if you can give them a vote, I’d appreciate it, and they deserve it.

If you want to see what they are about, the museum site is http://www.passchendaele.be/

And if ever you need somewhere to stay in the vicinity, where the hospitality is second to none, Charlotte’s b&b is highly recommended. http://www.varletfarm.com

=============================================
    Dear all,
    With this message I would like to apply on your help. As you probably know I am closely involved in the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 in Zonnebeke. With the help of many volunteers, helping the staff where possible , we try to build up a museum that offers a good overview of what happened in this area during the Great War. I am sure that many of you have already visited this museum while being in the Salient, and –by the sound of all the positive feedback I picked up over the years- really enjoyed it.

At present there is a competition running to select the best museum in the different parts of our country (the Flemish part, the Brussels area and the Walloon part). The price is 10000 Euro for the museum that is getting most of the votes… so hence the fact that I am addressing to you; Being a small museum we don’t have that many financial resources …in other words : this prize would be considered as a gift from heaven….

One problem though : the site where one can put a vote is only in Dutch or French which I guess is not of much good to most of you. However, if you want to support the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 in this context, all you have to do is to follow the instructions, which I am listing in this message. It is probable going to be first time that you will vote on a site where you can not really understand the language. I want to emphasize that this is an official contest so there is no risk involved. On the contrary : some prizes will be given to people who went through the trouble of voting…

To start you must surf to the following website
    http://www.museumprijs.be
    You will then see a blue banner with Nederlands and Français. Just click on “Nederlands”

The next page is showing some pictures. Below the pictures you can reed in orange “ Museum prijs prix des musees 2008 Publieksprijs” with just below a red box with “stem” in it. So click on “stem”

The next page gives 3 blue boxes with 3 options. The first one is the one we need as that is for the Flemish area. It says “Je vlaamse favoriet” Next to that you will again see a red box with “Kies” in it. So click on “Kies”

A new orange box will open saying : “ wie, wat , waar” en just next to that in a red box again you can read “vind”.

So click on “vind” and a long list of all the museums will appear. Just scroll down till you come across “Memorial Museums Passchendaele 1917”. Click on that

A new option opens in blue letters saying “Stem”. So click on that
    The next thing that happens is that the name of the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 appears next to “je Vlaamse favoriet”

The next thing to do now is to click on the red box under the blue boxes with “naar stap 2 “ in it

We are almost there….
    You have to fill in your first name, your surname on the second line and your e-mail address on the last line (so that you can be contacted in case you won a price).

The last step is to click on the red box with “verzend je stem” and that is it!

Once you have voted you will receive a message asking you to confirm your vote. Which you can do by clicking on “confirmeer deze stem”

May I all thank you in advance for taking the trouble to support us with this vote; I can only say that it is very much appreciated by all of us and that all your votes can make the difference.

Thanks ever so much !
    Best wishes,
    Charlotte

John Childs replied 16 years ago 12 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • Nigel Pugh

March 20, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Done 😀

• Lynn Normington

March 20, 2008 at 5:02 pm

also done I think 🙄

Lynn

• John Childs

March 20, 2008 at 5:15 pm

Thanks folks.

Lynn, you’ll get a confirmation email.

• Derek Heron

March 20, 2008 at 6:16 pm

done

• John Childs

March 20, 2008 at 10:21 pm

Thanks Derek.

Anybody else?

PLEASE 😀

• Nicola McIntosh

March 20, 2008 at 10:36 pm

just done it 😉

nik

• Warren Beard

March 20, 2008 at 10:37 pm

I did it too and could actually understand a lot of it too 😮

• Phill Fenton

March 20, 2008 at 11:27 pm

Just one problem John – I’ve never visited this museum so I don’t actually know if it is deserving of my vote as best museum in this category. I would like to vote but in the interests of fairplay I feel I need to visit all the museums in the area to ensure my vote is fair. 😕

……OK… ok I’ll just do as you asked and vote anyway 🙄

• John Childs

March 20, 2008 at 11:30 pm
    quote Phill:

Just one problem John – I’ve never visited this museum so I don’t actually know if it is deserving of my vote as best museum in this category. I would like to vote but in the interests of fairplay I feel I need to visit all the museums in the area to ensure my vote is fair. 😕

Not a problem Phill.

Pick a weekend and we can go for a visit. I don’t need much of an excuse. 😀

• Phill Fenton

March 20, 2008 at 11:34 pm

Time to fire up the Chrysler then John :lol1:

• John Childs

March 20, 2008 at 11:41 pm
    quote Phill:

Time to fire up the Chrysler then John :lol1:

It’s polished, gassed up and ready to roll. 😀

Don’t pick May though. You’re going to be busy. 😛

• Graeme Harrold

March 21, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Vote placed, and i now know a bit more Belgique…. :lol1: :lol1:

• Marcella Ross

March 21, 2008 at 8:42 pm

done ………….. ! 😀

• Lynn Normington

March 21, 2008 at 9:22 pm

John can I come to??

Lynn

• Glenn Sharp

March 21, 2008 at 9:44 pm

mines in 🙂

• Peter Normington

March 21, 2008 at 10:26 pm
    quote glenn:

mines in 🙂

Is that a Freudian slip Glen?

Peter

• Marcella Ross

March 21, 2008 at 10:48 pm
    quote Peter Normington:

quote glenn:

mines in 🙂

Is that a Freudian slip Glen?

Peter

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• Jamie Wood

March 22, 2008 at 12:00 am

…hopefully won’t get bombarded with Flemish spam…

• John Childs

March 22, 2008 at 1:29 am
    quote Jamie Wood:

…hopefully won’t get bombarded with Flemish spam…

You should be fine Jamie. It is an official government site rather than a private email harvesting exercise. This was posted by Charlotte on another forum…..

"You inbox will not be filled with promotional material, that I am sure of. Amongst the people who have voted a number of prizes will be given, that is the reason why you need to fill in your e-mail address."

Thanks to all that have voted so far.

😀

• Glenn Sharp

March 22, 2008 at 6:59 am
    quote glenn:

mines in 🙂

did I really say that out loud 😳

• John Childs

April 24, 2008 at 11:14 pm

Update from Charlotte……

====================
    Hello all,
    I am so pleased to let you all know that the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 has won the museum prize of the public! On behalf of the curator, the staff of the MMP 1917 and the many volunteers helping, I would like to thank you all so much for your support. The many, many reactions we have welcomed mean a tremendous support to keep on investing time and energy in the museum. We want to make sure that people visiting the Salient are being informed of what happened here. Keeping the memory alive is a mission for the museum which they take very seriously.

so, thanks to you all! I wish I could thank you all individually but that would keep me at my pc throughout the night
    Warm wishes,
    charlotte
    ====================

And thanks from me too. 😀