Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Off Topic Chat Visual Impact Image Expo Sydney 2007

• David Rowland

June 27, 2007 at 8:22 pm

Sure, just tell me which airport you booked them for and hotel?

:lol1:

• Jason Xuereb

June 28, 2007 at 8:07 am

Sydney airport mate 🙂 haven’t booked a hotel yet I will do this most likely last minute.

• Shane Drew

June 28, 2007 at 12:40 pm
    quote jxuereb:

Sydney airport mate 🙂 haven’t booked a hotel yet I will do this most likely last minute.

Don’t leave it too late mate, lots of expos at the convention centre at the same time as the sign show. Any motels close get booked out early.

I’m not going this year. Mum and Dad are flying to Perth to see a very sick relative, and I’ll need to look after their animals, so I’m not able to get there now. I was going to shoot down for the day, but its an expense I really can’t afford, especially as I’m not going to have any helpers for 2 weeks while they are away.

I’m going to have to get my own lunch too 🙁

Say hi to Warrick at Ezy Tapere and the guys at AGS for me though. Steve Percival and Brad Smith should be there, 2 top blokes. Luke and Simon too… Kerry and Cherie too… nice ladies. When they get to know you, you might even get a hug. 😳

Cherrie is my rep, I’ve told the other opposition reps they’ll never get all my orders, because I always get a hug. Every other rep I have is male, so it will never happen.. I hope 😮

At the HVG stand, say Hi to Brooke. Top bloke, very helpful.

Have fun..

• Jason Xuereb

June 28, 2007 at 1:24 pm

Hey Drew,

Not good was looking forward to meeting you and getting you a drink or dinner. You’ve helped me out a fair bit in terms of who to deal with through these forums.

Last minute hotel is easy. I tell them I’m going to propose to my partner. I’ve done this at a lot of hotels even get free room upgrades. Should see the look on their faces when I turn up with my brother lol.

I’ll pass on your hellos when I meet these people. I’ve never dealt with AGS before. I deal mainly with a Melbourne based company and they’ve treated us very well so we’ve stayed with them.

Cheers
    Jason

• Shane Drew

June 28, 2007 at 1:45 pm
    quote jxuereb:

Hey Drew,

Not good was looking forward to meeting you and getting you a drink or dinner. You’ve helped me out a fair bit in terms of who to deal with through these forums.

Cheers
    Jason

hhmm a drink or dinner… you know how to twist a guys arm :lol1:

Which days are you going mate.

When you go to the AGS stand, look at the Doming machine they have imported from Italy. Almost purchased it on the spot at the Gold Coast show. I bought some other stuff instead. The quality of teh finish will blow you away. 5 to 10 year warranty… Brilliant stuff.

Check out the Massive Print stand too. Talk to Joshua. Its a brilliant simple system for putting a plastic frame around a corflute panel, works with Dibond, PVC and Foamboard.

I bought one as soon as I saw it.

Josh is Melbourne based too. He flew up here last week to say hi, and make sure I was happy. Excellent product to add a bit of extra value to your cheap signs.

Every demo I’ve done, my clients have been happy to pay a little extra to make the signs look ‘more expensive’ …

I’ll see what I can do. I’m disappointed I’m not able to go, but all is not lost yet.

Now that I know a drink or dinner is at stake, I’ll have to give it more thought :lol1: A few others have asked me to go too. Be a shame to let them down 😕 😛 :lol1:

• Jason Xuereb

June 28, 2007 at 1:51 pm

Hey Drew,

We are flying up Thursday morning and leaving Sunday morning. Going to the show across these three days. My brother will be coming up and one of our workers also who helps us on installs etc.

Cheers
    Jason

• Michael Manalo Singh

July 13, 2007 at 4:01 am

Jason,

I will be there too. hope to meet you.

Mike

• Shane Drew

July 13, 2007 at 8:11 am
    quote Michael Manalo Singh:

Jason,

I will be there too. hope to meet you.

Mike

Tell us about yourself mate, in the hello forum.

I have not been able to swing it this time. Won some Tenders, and they are all to be done by the end of the month… and I need the money :lol1:

• Jason Xuereb

July 14, 2007 at 3:18 am

Just booked the hotel. Will see you guys there.

• Bill McMurtry

July 14, 2007 at 3:59 am

I’d dearly like to go but my JV3 arrived yesterday and I have a heap to do getting it all set up (what beautiful big monster it is) and then a heap of jobs to print with it that have been waiting in the isles on hold. Oh yes, I need the money too 😀

Have a good one fellas, maybe next year for me 😎

• Jason Xuereb

July 14, 2007 at 4:25 am

Have fun with the printer Bill. We’ve had the Roland since early Feb and its a great piece of equipment to have. Once you go digital you won’t go back.

• graham stewart

July 14, 2007 at 6:47 am

Jason do you have a web site?
    Graham

• Shane Drew

July 14, 2007 at 8:18 am
    quote graham stewart:

Jason do you have a web site?
    Graham

Its against the rules to post web sites (comes under the advertising rules) , but I’ve sent you an email Graham…

• Bill McMurtry

July 14, 2007 at 8:25 am

Thanks Jason. I’ve gone digital for a little while now, albeit sort of limited – kicked off almost 2 years ago with an Encad Pro 50, then moved on to a HP DesignJet, now finally jumping in the deep end head first with a full solvent JV3. What could possibly go wrong 😮 😀 😀 😀

You are right though, no going back from digital printing.

• Jason Xuereb

July 14, 2007 at 9:00 am

Hey graham we have a website. Can’t post a link to it as its against the rules. Where are the rules by the way? But I think I can post our company name we are called ***********.

[Self edited]

• Jason Xuereb

July 14, 2007 at 9:03 am

Hey Bill, before we used digital I was skeptical but the time it saves us in fitting and aligning cut vinyl makes it a pleasure. Throw in the Ezy App taper and all you need is more work.

We are doing the Roland wrap course in August I think so we can branch out into doing car wraps. That will be good.

• graham stewart

July 14, 2007 at 9:32 am

If you could only afford a second hand digital printing machine what would you look to buy,If you can not say ,Please e-mail me (lunasea2428@tadaust.org.au)
    Thanks Graham

• Shane Drew

July 14, 2007 at 10:57 am
    quote graham stewart:

If you could only afford a second hand digital printing machine what would you look to buy,If you can not say ,Please e-mail me (lunasea2428@tadaust.org.au)
    Thanks Graham

I sold my hp3500cp for $3000.00. The are a great learning machine.

Waterbased, but great for posters and canvas.

• Shane Drew

July 14, 2007 at 10:59 am
    quote jxuereb:

Where are the rules by the way?

https://www.uksignboards.com/rules.php

You’ve both broken a few in this thread :lol1: :lol1:

• graham stewart

July 14, 2007 at 12:27 pm

what were they?Other than me asking for a persons web site,which you have already pointed out. (thank you)
    Thanks Graham

• Jason Xuereb

July 14, 2007 at 12:52 pm

Is stating who you work for advertising? I’ve seen a few avatars on here with the company name on tshirts etc.

Second hand machine I couldn’t say. Our first printer has been the SP-540V and it’s been great. I hope next year we can get in the wider Soljet.

• Bill McMurtry

July 14, 2007 at 1:12 pm

Graham, I have to agree with Shane about the HP’s. I’ve used a 915mm 2500CP (same machine as Shane’s 1270mm 3500CP only not as wide) for almost a year now. I also have a 3000CP which is the same as the 3500 except it has no internal RIP.

These water based type printers only print to coated vinyl, paper, canvas, etc. Running UV pigment inks provides prints that perform OK outdoors as long as they are well laminated. Even with indoors work I always use pigment inks rather dye inks which fade in a relatively short period of time. Also, these printers are almost as easy to use and care for as a little desktop inkjet.

The obvious difference between water based printers and solvent printers is the ability to print directly to uncoated vinyl, banner, etc, which has huge advantages. Doing jobs like vehicle wraps just isn’t possible with coated vinyl as it has zero conformability. Printing outdoor banners is about equally as futile without solvent inks.

That being said, I think the HP’s or similar are a great introduction to wide format printers and they certainly have their place and uses.

• Shane Drew

July 14, 2007 at 11:52 pm

rule #7- Advertisement of your own company or services is not permitted in any forum this includes the posting of your email or web address. … Please do not use the public forum as a way to "dodge" this rule, posts doing this will be deleted. Continual disregard for this rule will result in site registration being suspended or a complete site ban without prior notice.

😛

In truth, people get round it by posting photos with their watermark, or their work vans for comment on designs. But I was referring to this rule as the one being broken in this thread 😎

Don’t shoot the messenger though.. OK 😉

• John Childs

July 15, 2007 at 12:03 am

A sometimes inconvenient, and seemingly petty rule, but unfortunately necessary to stop the odd supplier from abusing the site.

It’s always the few spoiling it for the many. 🙁

• graham stewart

July 15, 2007 at 1:04 am

How is it possible to contact somebody privately if you choose to? Is it against the rules to ask a person for their private contact details?

Graham

• graham stewart

July 15, 2007 at 1:37 am

This is what Shane quoted from the Rules

#7- Advertisement of your own company or services is not permitted in any forum this includes the posting of your email or web address. … Please do not use the public forum as a way to "dodge" this rule, posts doing this will be deleted. Continual disregard for this rule will result in site registration being suspended or a complete site ban without prior notice.

We were not trying to Dodge or be underhanded we were straight out, in the open, asking a question for all to see. I take that comment of using the public forum as a way to dodge a rule a bit offensive.

How is it that in the Welcome forum There is a welcome to Studio 1 Graphics (a company name) and there has been no comment or action. I googled that name and came up with the Company web site.

Graham

• Shane Drew

July 15, 2007 at 3:12 am

😛 you didn’t read #14 then mate 😉

If you have a question or problem relating to site/forum access or your membership please contact us via the "Contact Us" page only, which you will find in the navigation bar. Please do not use the forums for posting any messages regarding any sort of site or membership queries as this will only result in the post being deleted. Your query will be answered as quickly as possible but please be patient should it take longer than 24 hours.

Don’t get me wrong Graham, I appreciate your comments (and I think you know me well enough by now that you know I’m not the argumentative type), and I’m sure Rob has considered all the options, but I’d suspect the site has been abused for this sort of thing in the past. I know some new sign shops in the past have seen UKSB’s as a fertile field for promoting their own ideas and tried selling their wares, one just recently in fact, so I’d suggest we all have to ‘pay’ for the few that tend to abuse the system.

I may be out of line here, but how does Rob know for instance, that you are not trying to contact another member to (a) ‘bag’ the UKSB site, (b) encourage the member to leave and go to your own forum, (c) you are trying to promote your own business against others members here.. the list goes on.

They way I see it, I don’t think anyone wants to stop you or anyone else from contacting others members personally, but its just that the UKSB’s has rules, and we accepted those rules when we joined….

Those same rules protect the members from being inundated from others here with SPAM and other stuff that may not interests each of us as individuals.

Rule 14 is, the way I see it, designed to stop bickering and a general free for all about stuff that is really only between the complainant and the administrators of the site.

As I say, only my take, and Rob may tell me to pull my head in, but I’m sure the reasons are well considered before the rules were set in stone.

Cheers mate 😛

• Jason Xuereb

July 15, 2007 at 4:39 am

Hey guys,

I didn’t mean to start an argument. Stating your company name seems to be against the rules as it could be taken as advertising even when asked by another member. Doesn’t seem fair tho then your allowed to water mark your avatar, post pictures of your workshop with your name plastered all over it etc and it’s treated differently.

Were getting off topic now so we’ve all had our 2 cents.

• John Childs

July 15, 2007 at 8:42 am
    quote graham stewart:

How is it possible to contact somebody privately if you choose to? Is it against the rules to ask a person for their private contact details?

Easy. I’ve never had my phone number modded out.

Rules are difficult. One that has to be imposed to counter an individuals abuse of the site may impinge on others perfectly innocent activities. That’s the way of the world I’m afraid and is not exclusive to UKSB. It also applies to national and local laws.

For instance, in our local town centre, a ban on drinking in public was introduced in an attempt to eliminate a few drunks lying around in the streets on Saturday nights. The side effect was that perfectly well behaved citizens can’t enjoy a drink in a pavement cafe and watch the world go by, like we can in practically every other country in the world.

I don’t think that the rules are cast in stone, or that Rob deliberately sat down to write a set of restrictive rules, rather that they evolved, and new ones were introduced, to counter specific problems as they arose. Sure, they might not be perfect, but are probably the best compromise that could be achieved. I’m sure they will continue to be modified as the need arises.

I agree that the rules can sometimes be irritating but, in my opinion, the alternative of a mad unmoderatede free-for-all would not be attractive.

• Shane Drew

July 15, 2007 at 11:40 am
    quote jxuereb:

Hey guys,

I didn’t mean to start an argument. .

No argument happening Jason, not as far as I’m concerned anyway. 😛

The only one that can answer any complaint/question or otherwise is Rob. As John says tho, plenty of posts here with phone numbers and stuff that have not been modded out.

Rob knows my feelings on these same points, as I’ve discussed it with him directly a few times in that past. As far as I’m aware, Rob is happy to discuss anything privately, if it helps keeping the boards on an even keel.

Drop him a line, I’m sure he is happy to outline his views on these matters 😛

As I say, no harm done here… its just a frank discussion amongst friends as far as I’m concerned 😉

• Lee Attewell

July 17, 2007 at 6:41 am

Bleeding heck…Can’t things go off topic easily 😀

I didn’t see this topic earlier so I made another…Jeez I can be thick sometimes .

Hey Jason, I’m just about to jump on a plane to go there…Give me a call sometime while you’re at the show.

Lee Attewell

0411 557 583

• Jason Xuereb

July 17, 2007 at 6:43 am

Will do mate. My numbers 0411773908.

I’ve got a cold at the moment so I hope I make Thursdays session.