Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl Vinyl colour match for Pantone 660

• Vinyl colour match for Pantone 660

Posted by John Thomson on November 5, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Hi,

I hope someone can help.

I have a ZF logo to do and the blue is pantone 660

Does anyone know of a vinyl colour match or will I need to print it?

Many thanks

John

Chris Windebank replied 10 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Adam McGuire

December 5, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I also have a job in which specifies Pantone 660 but they want 660U. The whole thing is a pinstripe about 5mm deep and it’s about 49m long. I can’t find anything close to my Pantone books as I expected.

Allprint have an online Pantone to vinyl match service, which comes back saying they have a "1 Star" match. The key states that 1 star signifies "Fair to Poor Pantone® colour printing ink match" I don’t as yet know what the vinyl is but the website says it is a "4 year gloss monomeric solvent permanent adhesive"

Allprint Pantone to Vinyl

I’m going to try to find out the colour and see how close it is. In my case a printed pinstripe I’d guess would be a huge waste of ink as I’d have to print a large panel vinyl. Even then, as it is to be installed onto glass, the side visible outwards would be white, so a no go as far as the designer is concerned!

I appreciate the reasons behind Pantone and Ral charts, yet the people that specify them the most fail to understand the difficulties and limitations in sourcing other materials in a matching colour!

I’ll update with my findings!

Adam

• Chris Windebank

December 5, 2013 at 1:36 pm

oracal 751 series 555 is close

• Adam McGuire

December 5, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Thanks Chris 🙂

I’d not even looked at 751c I’d looked at numerous others though. I wonder if it is available!?

• Chris Windebank

December 5, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I had a delivery of 555 the other week, hold 10m usually here
    get a sample or a swatch, its close (ish)

• Adam McGuire

December 5, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I have a swatch and it’s not bad colour wise. Yes they have stock too. I was being cynical as the last time I ordered a vinyl with a 3 digit code, they didn’t have it. I also had to order one of the metallics from the 951c range and I ended up buying it from Germany because there was no UK stock! All for matching colours for some fancy job 🙂

Maybe the swatches should have all the "not popular in the UK" colours marked or removed!

Oh what a day!

• Chris Windebank

December 5, 2013 at 3:18 pm

bets its only available in 1220 too, I love the colour but not so popular in the UK

• Adam McGuire

December 5, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Nope, I asked for prices and availability of both sizes and I was given prices for both sizes and told stock was no problem… maybe the sun will come out shortly?! 😮

• Chris Windebank

December 5, 2013 at 3:26 pm

or maybe they will just cut the roll in two and not tell you so you waste a load!!