Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl Vinyl (Avery 700) does not stick that well on painted wall

• Vinyl (Avery 700) does not stick that well on painted wall

Posted by Tim de Beir on January 11, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Today I started with applying a vinyl pattern onto a large wall. But after a few minutes it was clear that the vinyl does not stick well onto the painted wall.

The vinyl used is Avery 700, when removing apptape (medium tack) the vinyl comes with it, also when doing a test the vinyl loses it grip on the painted surface.

Anyone who knows what kind of vinyl I should use in the Avery, 3M, Oracal, Mactac of Hexis range…

David Hammond replied 8 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Ewan Chrystal

January 11, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Had a similar problem before xmas on an external painted wall. Used KPMF 70000 cast successfully.

• Kevin Flowers

January 11, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Tim
    sometimes it can be the paint isn’t able to accept vinyl had it before where the only stuff we could use was high tac even then it when on with little grab but never came off. It was a while ago but sure it was a matt emulsion that caused problem but as i said long time ago

Kev

• David Hammond

January 12, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Had the same issue, as Kev described I think it was the paint, over the media. Seemed to have a powdery matt finish, and nothing would stick.

Even with repositionable wall paper we’ve found the initial tack was enough to pull the paint away, leaving you with parts with no adhesive.