Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Sublimation Printing Views & opinions on the Ricoh GX7000 printer?

• Views & opinions on the Ricoh GX7000 printer?

Posted by Steve Underhill on May 20, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Hi All, yes I’m still here just been so busy with other things, not really doing much sign work etc mostly T shirt printing etc.
    Trying to get the website up and running, and brochures printed etc.

I have today bought a Ricoh GX7000 with the sawgrass dye sub carts, does anyone else have one?
    If so what do you make of it, whats the ink consumption like as opposed to bulk feed etc, I’m guessing what I wasted in clearing the jets of epsons will kind of save on what I wont be using on the Ricoh.
    Just after any thoughts really, I got it from Xpres it will be here tomorrow.

Cheers
    Steve

:police: Mod-Edit
    * Please use "Descriptive Topic Titles" when posting.
    * This posts Title has now been edited.

Please take a moment to look over our Board Rules.

Jeremy Howes replied 13 years, 8 months ago 9 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Jason Middleton

May 20, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Hi Steve,

I have the A4 version 5050 that uses the same carts as the GX 7000, I’ve been really impressed with it so far, I love the fact I can leave it turned off for 3 weeks and then turn it on and it will print with no issues, and print speed is impressive.

I don’t have an epson for comparision but I believe the general consensus is that the image quality is not quite as good as the epsons, but the lack of maintenance required compared to the bulk feed systems makes this a price worth paying.

I’m still on my first carts at the moment as I’ve not printed a massive amount of stuff, it does seem to use quite a bit of ink when you initially set it up I think 2 of the cartridges show as half empty straightaway which got me a little worried but they don’t appear to be using any more ink than you would expect now.

Well thats my limited expecience with this machine anyhow, good luck.

• Paul S Martin

May 21, 2010 at 6:55 am

Hi Stve

Great Machine M8 you will be pleased I am sure.

On the front of Xpress was not happy that the standard cartridges were taken out of the box by them for no reason 👿 , and then to be charged the standard rate for for the saw-grass dye sub carts, well I think it was a liberty to be taken by them, I was told it’s due to the wrong ones being fitted when setting up. Moan Over 😕

Like you mate been working hard so not much time one the boards, hope all is well with you Mate and of course all you other guy’s and gal’s

All the best Paul 😉 😉

• Steve Underhill

May 21, 2010 at 11:34 am

Hey.
    Just called Xpres and asked where my original Gel carts worth £120 are, they are shipping them out to me today.
    I will put them on ebay to recoup some of the cost of the printer.
    I said I have paid the full price of the printer PLUS the cost of the swagrass inks so I want them sent out.
    No problem.

• John Gregson

May 21, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Hi Steve, I’ve got the 5050n, excellent printer and well chuffed with it. I sold my standard carts on fleebay for around £50 – £60 total for the 4. Wouldn’t sell for much more than that – tried for 2 months without any luck.

Cheers John

• John Cooper

May 21, 2010 at 6:04 pm

We have the 7000 and it works first time, every time.

First set of carts go quite quickly as a lot of the gel is used to fill the tubes.

John

• Paul S Martin

May 21, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Nice One Steve

Paul 😉

• Jeremy Howes

May 21, 2010 at 10:23 pm

As I understand it, the starter carts are chipped full at one third the quantity of ink, if you put the Ricoh starter cartridge next to a Sawgrass cart you can see the difference in size.
    I’ll contact a friend who works for Ricoh on Monday to get the definitive answer.

Great printer by the way Steve.

Cheers
    Jeremy

• Jamie Wood

May 21, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Welcome back Steve. I tried some Xpress carts though an Epson too, and like
    you, had no luck. In fact it killed the Epson. Is it any better now? I saw some
    really nice dye sub stuff at the show this year, but as it’s not really in our line
    of business, I didn’t pay too much attention.

• Steve Underhill

May 26, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I didnt use any Xpres carts, I have been using a bulk feed and an epson stylus photo 1290. which is working fine, I just bought the Ricoh for ease of use and faster output. so far the results are outstanding.

• Earl Smith

July 1, 2010 at 7:52 am

Hi everyone,
    This thread was started just over a month ago so you have had a little more practice and experience with the Ricoh GX7000.
    As luck would have it the bulk feed system on my Epson 1400 has stopped working.
    So my choice is to buy a new bulk feed system (300€)or buy the Ricoh(1000€).
    Now you all have one month more experience with the Ricoh would you still recommend it?
    Earl

• Jeremy Howes

July 1, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Hello Earl,
    I haven’t used the 7000 for two months and was prompted by your question to print a mug, without a nozzle check or head clean, the results were perfect.

I hope this helps when making your decision.

jeremy

• John Cooper

July 1, 2010 at 4:29 pm
    quote Jeremy Howes:

Hello Earl,
    I haven’t used the 7000 for two months and was prompted by your question to print a mug, without a nozzle check or head clean, the results were perfect.

I hope this helps when making your decision.

jeremy

Did you leave the printer switched on for the 2 months?

Interestingly, while at FESPA I met with the guy from Ryonet. He told me that the Ricoh does automatic head cleans each day. This of course keeps the printer ready to use BUT, apparently uses quite a lot of ink.

• Lee Horton

July 1, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Left mine for 3 weeks turned off, turned on done nozzle check everything was fine, printed A3 200 sheets with no waste
    Maybe I was lucky for once!

• Jeremy Howes

August 20, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Hi John,
    Yes, I leave both the 5050 and 7000 turned on all the time, I was told by Ricoh that the automatic head clean only happens every few weeks and not every day, in fact, you’re using more ink head cleaning if you turn it on each day.

cheers
    jeremy