Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Printer Ink Views & opinions on 3rd party INKs for Roland VP-540?

• Views & opinions on 3rd party INKs for Roland VP-540?

Posted by Scott.Evans on July 4, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I’m looking for some advice on weather to change from using Roland genuine Eco Sol Max inks?

I have been looking at 3rd party inks from Print 1 uk.
    I was wondering if anyone else uses these?
    if so how do you get on with the inks?

I have spoke to the guy from Print 1 uk and he has told me they are plug&play (pull my old cartridge out and place copy cartridge straight in)

They are also half the price of genuine inks.

Any help will be much appreciated :lol1:

Alex Tucker replied 14 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

July 6, 2009 at 8:30 am

when you say they are "plug and play" scott, do you mean you can plug the carts in as and when each colour finishes, or do you mean you flush all the ink from the machine and plug the carts in and begin printing?

• Peter Normington

July 6, 2009 at 8:40 am

With My mimaki, I just changed each cartridge as they ran out with no noticable difference.

Peter

• Scott.Evans

July 6, 2009 at 8:48 am

From what the guy told me from Print 1 uk iam assuming you do not have to flush all the ink out of you’re machine, you can just plug copy cart straight in after the genuine cart has run out
    I may well be corrected here, but that was how it came across to me, part the reason why iam asking has anyone had any troubles using the inks from print1uk?

• Scott.Evans

July 6, 2009 at 8:59 am

good to here peter

I will most probably order a set today as i do not have no ink in stock, machine seems to be guzzling it the past few weeks.

• Robert Lambie

July 6, 2009 at 9:24 am

9/10 3rd party inks will require a flush before installing. that’s why i was asking David… I actually thought ALL required this but i have learned that its not always the case. I was aware peter hadn’t flushed his, just wanted to ask as you were asking for feedback. I am sure PrintONE will have an installation PDF or the like covering this sort of thing anyway, just to keep you right.

• Scott.Evans

July 6, 2009 at 10:44 am

i think i best hang fire then.
    so if i was to install the 3rd party inks this would mean when my next genuine ink runs out i will have to remove all genuine inks then do a full flush and them put the copy ink in.

or can i flush each color separately?

i think its best if i give them a call, i just don’t want them saying yea it will be ok and then my printer starts going doolally when i put the inks in. 🙁

• Alex Tucker

July 6, 2009 at 11:48 am

Hi Scott, also keep in mind that you can’t get a maintenance contract if you are using 3rd party inks (well you cant in Ireland). We use the SUN bulk loading system on our Pro II and its great except for a stronger Solvent smell plus the machine does not tell you when it is running out, therefore it needs more hand holding, well worth the small hassle for the 50% cost saving.

That said I would not use anything but Roland inks on our Pro III as I need the quality repeatability for our cast wraps. Sometimes we have a client come back a year later for a door etc, once we have the same inks I can match to 100%.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.