Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Roland Cutters Versacamm VP540 Print/Laminate/Cut registration problems

• Versacamm VP540 Print/Laminate/Cut registration problems

Posted by John Dorling on August 19, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Hi All

Help! My faithfull VersaCamm is letting me down. It’s always been fine, but recently when I print with crop marks, laminate then cut using the crop marks the registration is way out. Have tried everything in the manual still no luck. Strange thing is, some parts of the cut are spot on, others are way (3-4mm) off. Any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks

John

Chris Wool replied 12 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Chris Wool

August 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm

have you done a environment calibration. have you had the black head changed

• John Dorling

August 19, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Hi Chris

The auto environment match setting is on ‘enable’ and all of the heads are the original ones. Printing is spot on.

John

• Warren Beard

August 19, 2011 at 4:29 pm

did you centre the print on the media? I used to find if I centered it then put back in to cut if the width and position isn’t exactly as when printed I had issues. There was a post a good few months ago discussing this so there might be some solutions there.

cheers

Warren

• John Dorling

August 19, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Thanks Warren but no I never centre or get media width as that has given me problems in the past. Strange thing is that in some areas it’s ok, in others it’s way off. The artwork file is ok, and it will print and cut one copy fine, then the next copy from the same file will be out.

John

• Chris Wool

August 19, 2011 at 5:02 pm

sounds more like vinyl slippage then tell the knife to return to the home or origin when finished cutting and stab the vinyl it should be on the 0.0 position if not the vinyl has slipped.

• Peter Munday

August 19, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Had this last week, it turns out the rubber sleeve on the grip roller had come unstuck and the pinch roller was only working some of the time. Roland had no stock so will have to wait 2 weeks for a new one.

Peter

• Martin Oxenham

August 20, 2011 at 11:52 am

Sometimes if the blade is blunt then you have to put too much pressure on the knife it it cause the vinyl to move as well.

• John Dorling

August 22, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Hi All

Thanks for the advise. Still a problem though. It did it today on a straight forward print and cut so it’s nothing to do with crop marks. Chris what would cause vinyl slippage and is there a reason why it has started suddenly? It has not been a problem before. I am only cutting at about 100g so can’t be too much force. I’m running out of ideas now!

John

• Chris Wool

August 22, 2011 at 4:59 pm

don’t know VW yet just about to have a fast learning curve.
    but you need to know if the vinyl has slipped during cutting to find out you need to mark the orign after it has found the marks let it cut and return to the origin they should match if not the vinyl has slipped. or are the cut loops not joined up correctly.

things that make the vinyl slip are
    too much knife blade showing
    something mechanical loose screw etc on the drive train.
    the media is not sliding over the cutter bed in a nice smooth manner.
    the blade holder is not allowing the knife to swivel correctly normally shows up as a dig mark at a sharp turn.

you say that you are only using 100 force normally that’s the value for non laminated material.

simple test print and cut a row of 50mm sq boxes with the marks turned on.
    then cut again using the marks, if all is well it should cut down the same lines.
    just to add if you have extra pinch rollers use them whilst cutting laminated materials. we use 2 to print 4 to cut.