Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Versacamm VP300 Cutting accuracy

• Versacamm VP300 Cutting accuracy

Posted by Colin Crow on May 18, 2007 at 3:30 pm

Just checking the specs for the VP300 and noted that at best the tolerance is +or- 0.2% – Given that we are producing decals on sheets approximately 2.0M long this equates to +or- 4mm. Can anyone confirm this in real life as it seems rather a lot and perhaps I am expecting too much from my Edge/Summa setup which at most is only 1mm out over the same length.

Thanks

Colin

Mark Elvidge replied 16 years, 11 months ago 7 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Ian Bingham

May 18, 2007 at 7:35 pm

never had a problem cutting on mine if you use the registration markings
    if not it can go out

• stevie thomas

May 18, 2007 at 9:01 pm

Colin

The error of less +/-4% of distance travelled or +/-3% whicjever is greater. When distance correction has been performed i.e print & cut adjust

then your +/-2% is correct but this is not guaranteed when the heaters are being used as this sometime does expand/contract media.

Also are you using a laminate as well.

Have just installed a VP 540 today and was producing small stickers on approx 1.5 metre runs. generally you should not have a problem

Steve

mod-edit

• Chris Wool

May 18, 2007 at 10:16 pm

colin if you are referring to your model dash boards, i am very surprised that you do them over a 2m length and even more surprised at the results of the edge summa setup.

if i was doing them it would have been no more than a 2ft sq area but remember that is in one operation. i work on the idea of more smaller sheets essayer to Handel and less or no failures.
    when doing precision work i use 610 material in my sc540 by about 600 to 700mm length.
    because of what you do i think you will spend a lot of time adjusting your new machine what ever you buy.

chris

• Gert du Preez

May 19, 2007 at 10:14 am

Hi Colin,

To mirror what everybody said, keep print areas small. I also think it may refer to a worse case scenario. I keep my print length to 1m or less, simply because it prevents the vinyl picking up dust on the floor, which will get carried back into the machine. On this size, using Oracal 610mm wide vinyl, no heaters/dryers, I get absolutely spot on accuracy. I use a SP, but I dont think there will be a difference in accuracy.

P.S. If anyone upgraded from a SP to SV, let us know how she runs! Our SP 300 simply does’nt cope with the workload anymore, and come upgrade time I’ll push the boss in the direction of the new SV 540. (will still keep the old machine as back-up, and if the prints are the same, I’ll run the same job on both machines) Apparently it is faster, with the same quality. No more late nights and weekends!

• Gert du Preez

May 19, 2007 at 10:34 am

Sorry, meant VP not SV. The SV is a stonking little mostercyle from Suzuki, used to spend the money made running a VP. Humble apologies!

• stevie thomas

May 19, 2007 at 7:08 pm

Gert

I would recommend the vp 540 any day

yes it is quicker having 4 heads not 2 print speeds are quicker and a bonus is the machine is a lot lighter to move. Personally i like these more than the sp range

they will cope no issues

Go for it mate

Steve

mod-edit

• Colin Crow

May 19, 2007 at 10:23 pm

Thanks all, I think you have confirmed what the specs were saying. I haven’t bought the Roland yet by the way, just looking at the alternatives for our current setup. Am also considering the Summa DC4sx but can’t get any feed back from users and the data available isn’t as comprehensive as that for the Versacamm.

When all is well I have pushed the lengths to nearer 3 metres but you have to remember that because this is only 300 wide this is still only 30 sets of A5 sheets of decals. There are so many variables when printing and cutting these fine detail sheets that I have to do most of this myself rather than being able to leave the task to someone less experienced. Hence my search for a print&cut machine that will give me similar quality with less user inout.

Thanks

Colin

• stevie thomas

May 19, 2007 at 10:27 pm

Colin

If your looking for details on the DC4sx machine I used to wor for the importers in the uk for this machine.

Do you need the spec sheet for this

But the guy to talk to for this machine is Alan Flynn who i know form my previous employment

• Colin Crow

May 19, 2007 at 10:35 pm

Thanks Steve

I picked up the summa range catalogue but couldn’t see any reference to cutting accuracy in there so would need to convince myself it could cope with our rather unusual requirements.

I presume Alan is Flynn Signs? I did try to call in at the stand at NEC but time got the better of me. Perhaps I will catch up with him next week and pose the relevant questions.

Colin

• stevie thomas

May 19, 2007 at 10:38 pm

Colin

Yes he is

Please remember me to him if you see him, I used to work for the summa agents in the uk based in nottingham

Like me i wanted to say hi to him but time ran out

• Mark Elvidge

May 21, 2007 at 7:42 pm

there is a feature in versaworks called customcut from which you can set custom page sizes. this enables you to print say 1000 labels but ask the rip to print 100 then cut 100 then print the next 100 etc etc. this preserves the offset better than printing and cutting all 1000 at once. also the VP and pro 3 range do environment matches on the encoder strip every time the media is loaded ensuring good caliberation.

Mark

• Colin Crow

May 21, 2007 at 8:22 pm

Thanks Mark,

This is all useful stuff! Haven’t played with Rolands since my first CAMM1 many years ago so am presuming that Versaworks is the RIP? Is this supplied as part of the package with the VP range?

Given that you take all necessary precautions and cut no more than a metre length at a time, do you think it would be possible to keep the cutting accuracy to within the 0.3mm that we can build into our designs?

Colin

• Mark Elvidge

May 21, 2007 at 8:24 pm

yes sorry versaworks is the rip and it Will be included in the package.

• Peter Shaw

May 22, 2007 at 12:38 pm
    quote :

there is a feature in versaworks called customcut

Thanks Mark. I’ve never noticed this and always made small batches manually. I can’t see in in Help/manual either. Very useful.

Peter

• Mark Elvidge

May 23, 2007 at 6:26 pm

the other way peter is to set the job up as say 100. save it as a rvw file and bring it back in multiple times until you get the desired amount. then select all of them and print. this sees them as seperate jobs but procedes from one to the next automatically.

i

• Peter Shaw

May 23, 2007 at 6:48 pm

Yes, Mark. That’s another method I have used. One advantage of customcut I found is that you can vary the gaps between the blocks of print easily. I’ve been printing all day and will be able to unroll the print and slit into small sheets easily for my customer.

As an aside, do you get any accuracy for the "ink left" scale on Versaworks. Sometimes mine show as emptying but usually as always full. Then I get a machine stop with an empty cartridge.

Peter

• Mark Elvidge

May 23, 2007 at 6:54 pm

hi peter,

most of the printers i see are new as i install probably 3 or 4 a week so the ink status monitor doesnt work at all on these. takes about a week to catch up. after that though the ones that i have looked at seem to be ok but i cant say for sure.

a good way to get the percentage of ink left in the cart is to print out the system report from the printer. this will give you the cartridge number so 1234 for versa range or 123456789/10/11/12 for pro2/3. this is in the user menu not the service menu as people sometimes think.

this thread slightly hijacked now but if you want to ask anything else might be worth having a thread for it.

many thanks.