Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Versacamm SP540v to a Soljet XC540

• Versacamm SP540v to a Soljet XC540

Posted by Paul Hodges on February 20, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Hello All,

has anyone here had much experience with the Soljet XC540? I’ve been offered a second hand one from a dealer, to replace my SP50v.

I know they do most of the same functions, print & cut etc, and I know they are much quicker than the versacamm.

At this point, is it a worthwhile purchase? Do they still suffer from the drop out banding we see on the versacamm? What sort of money are they worth?

The other thing I’m in is the running cost of heads and ink etc. Where it runs many more ink carts I’m hoping they last longer than the four in the versacamm, otherwise it’s going to get through a lot of cartridges!

Paul Hodges replied 10 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Chris Wool

February 20, 2014 at 8:59 pm
    quote :

At this point, is it a worthwhile purchase? Do they still suffer from the drop out banding we see on the versacamm?

if its faulty and poorly set up yes

the pro3 was a top of the range work horse 6 heads 12 carts fantastic bit of kit but not for the feint hearted. i think you can have a firmware upgrade to drive it with the Roland pass control if it don’t have it already, helps to reduce banding in the faster modes.

if set up with care is capable of very high quality prints

i don’t think it will use any more ink to print the same image but because of the 6 colour print the range is slightly wider.

• Paul Hodges

February 21, 2014 at 9:41 am

Thanks Chris,

Would I be right in thinking then that the Versacamm although slower, is easier to control the quality of the output, or more consistent in quality of output?

• Chris Wool

February 21, 2014 at 8:01 pm

just 6 heads to set up not 2. but once set up will not need touching again except normal cleaning etc.

with a good profile and well set up your SP should give you excellent results the pro3 will just do it 3 times faster.

• Unknown Member

February 22, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Hi,

We recently chopped our XC540 in for XR640

The XC540 in 6 years of ownership never really let us down, we had an issue with one of the extended heater but we were able to take the board out and replace one of the chips.

Apart from that things were great.

You want to make sure if it has a take up reel this is set up properly and if its used make sure is under gone a full service and comes with a warranty.

I heard from the dealer that took our one in that they had to replace quite a few bits on our old machine but I personally think something went wrong when they moved it 300 miles from our place.

• Paul Hodges

February 24, 2014 at 8:58 am

Thanks for that info chaps, it does sound like this might be a worthwhile upgrade for us. I like the low maintenance of the SP50v and relatively low running costs but it is slow. The extra speed of the Soljet sounds very attractive.

The machine is probably about 6 years old, it does come serviced I believe, and with a 3 month warranty, by which time hopefully we might have discovered anything obviously wrong with it