• Versacamm SP540

Posted by Bob Scullion on December 9, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Can someone advise if these print/cut machines allow you to print, remove print from machine, laminate and then put back into the machine and contour cut or can you only print then cut unlaminated

Cheers

Bob

Nigel Pugh replied 12 years, 4 months ago 8 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Gary Birch

December 9, 2011 at 10:06 pm

No you can do it either way mate

Cheers

Gary

• Lorraine Clinch

December 9, 2011 at 10:17 pm

That is what they are designed to do! You apply a CutContour to the design, send to the printer, then (all in Versaworks, don’t know how other RIPs work)then in VW tell it to apply crop marks for cutting, set it to print only, when done remove print, leave to dry, laminate then re-align to the crop marks and set VersaWorks to cut only, and bobs your uncle (well, in theory, anyway!)

Lorraine

• Bob Scullion

December 9, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Gary/Lorraine

Thanks for the prompt reply, I have a Mutoh Value jet 1304 and a Summa D120 plotter and have to make sure if I need to do any prints that need contour cut it can only be approx 1180mm wide as the plotter will only cut a max of 1200mm but was looking to maybe upgrade and like the idea of a print/cut set up mainly to save space but the lad who used to do my printing for me said he couldn’t print, laminate and then contour cut on his versacamm.

Thanks again

Bob

• Lorraine Clinch

December 9, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Don’t know why he can’t, unless he simply doesn’t understand the process, or isn’t using the correct rip, maybe. Not that I’m an expert!

• Gary Birch

December 10, 2011 at 9:05 am

We do it daily Bob, as Lorraine said it is a simple process using versaworks

Cheers

Gary

• Gordon Forbes

December 11, 2011 at 9:54 am

Rolands web site explains it all in the help files.

• Stafford Cox

December 11, 2011 at 11:18 am

It could be that he’s using a poor quality or worn blade? Maybe even the wrong offset of blade. As everyone says, you SHOULD be able to do it. If it’s a particularly thick laminate or it’s quite an intricate cut path then maybe a cheaper drag blade cutter might struggle, but generally, if the depth and pressure are set correctly, it should be fine.

Stafford

• Bob Scullion

December 11, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Thanks again for the replies, as I said earlier I am looking to possibly upgrade in the new year and due to lack of space fancied the idea of a print/cut set up and know that a lot of folk have the roland which is obviously tried and tested over the years.

Just wanted to make sure I can print/laminate/contuor cut with the versacamm.

Thanks again

Bob

• Chris Wool

December 11, 2011 at 9:45 pm
    quote :

fancied the idea of a print/cut set up

as a by the way its not best to do all your cutting on the print machine as it just will get to much dirt in it best have a 610 cutter as well , to do all the general cutting.

• Bob Scullion

December 12, 2011 at 7:52 am

Never gave that a thought Chris, fair point, don’t know if I would go back to a 610 plotter after the Summa D120, you’ve given me something to think about,
    it’s either a bigger plotter for the contour cutting and keep the Mutoh or a print/cut but only for the contour stuff.

• Nick Minnery

December 12, 2011 at 9:36 am

Hi Bob

I have the SP540i, as the other replies say, it certainly can do that. But, after using a Summa (cut only machine) for 10 years, I’ve found that the Roland doesn’t cut that great.

Having said that, it is a very good machine, I’m sure you wouldn’t regret buying one.

Cheers

Nick

• Stafford Cox

December 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm
    quote Chris Wool:

quote :

fancied the idea of a print/cut set up

as a by the way its not best to do all your cutting on the print machine as it just will get to much dirt in it best have a 610 cutter as well , to do all the general cutting.

This is very true. Plus it’s sometimes the case that when you’re very busy printing a long run, you can’t do a quick cutting job until it’s finished printing. Many of my customers have opted for a separate printer and cutter rather than print OR cut. That said, the Roland print and cut machines I have seen are very good and get a rave reviews.

Stafford

• Nigel Pugh

December 12, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Not in your case Bob because you already have a printer, but anyone I have helped move from just a vinyl cutter into the world of printing then I always tell them to retain their cutter for those quick "I need this today" vinyl jobs.

Nigel