Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers VersaCAMM SP-540V: crop mark error not found

• VersaCAMM SP-540V: crop mark error not found

Posted by pilot on December 13, 2007 at 8:24 am

Hi there,

I have a problem with cutting. The job was printed with crop marks, than laminated. After reinsert in to the VersaCAMM, the machine wan´t cut. I still get a message on the display: "CROP MARK ERROR NOT FOUND".

What can be the reason for this?

Thank you for reading this and best regards.

Shane Drew replied 16 years, 5 months ago 8 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • Derek Heron

December 13, 2007 at 8:36 am

Hi pilot
    had this a couple of times with my cadet
    make sure the cutting head is in line with the first reg mark also i had a prob with the laminate silvering and it wasnt being read got round this by carefuly cutting round and removing the lam over the reg marks
    hope this helps there is a good tutorial on the cadlink site which helped.

Derek

• Gary Birch

December 13, 2007 at 8:38 am

I`d say that you just have to keep trying but each time with the optical eye in a slightly different spot. I find it works best with the eye slightly in front of the dot and slightly to the right.

Sorry if you didn`t want the obvious answer but having limited experience means I can only offer limited help.

Cheers

Gary

• Gary Birch

December 13, 2007 at 8:43 am

By the way. I have even done it where backing off in white and covered the registration marks completley 😳 . That doesn`t help

Gary

• Phill Fenton

December 13, 2007 at 8:48 am

I agree with Garry. You need to persevere until you find the right position. In my experience this is not directly over the centre of the spot but is marginally off centre to the front of the spot.

• Gavin MacMillan

December 13, 2007 at 11:13 am

I’d agree with what is said above – also I find just rubbing on the mark with my thumb gets rid of the silvering enough

• Chris Wool

December 13, 2007 at 11:16 am

tip
    load the vinyl as normal and setup
    use the sheet cut it will dump 50 mm material on the floor.
    print & laminate
    place into cutter aligning the front edge of the vinyl with the bed.
    this will insure it is straight to start with before the self alignment kicks in

only once in a while do i have a problem as long as i cut it off first

chris

• Peter Shaw

December 13, 2007 at 11:20 am

I’ve only had this problem once and it was caused by the laminate. I guess it affects the light reflection somehow. Removing the laminate from the crop marks cured it.

I also would mention that I don’t find the positioning of the crop marks critical. As long as they are roughly on the blade line it seems to find them OK.

Peter

• Shane Drew

December 13, 2007 at 12:33 pm
    quote Chris Wool:

tip
    load the vinyl as normal and setup
    use the sheet cut it will dump 50 mm material on the floor.
    print & laminate
    place into cutter aligning the front edge of the vinyl with the bed.
    this will insure it is straight to start with before the self alignment kicks in

only once in a while do i have a problem as long as i cut it off first

chris

This is what I do too. You will find that a matte laminate will cause more problems than a gloss one tho. I had no end of problems using matte in the early days, the Roland techs told me that the eye will not always read matte laminated prints if the voltage is too low, especially if you have dust on the eye as well. Probably gets the same result as silvering I guess, although silvering has never been an issue with mine.

Only problem I get is that occasionally I’ll die cut around a laminated print and the die cut will be off a bit, yet if I do two on the same day, one can be fine, and the other may not be right. Yet, nothing has changed. It finds the crop marks fine tho.

• Chris Wool

December 13, 2007 at 12:57 pm

never done it but keep saying for the odd one i will cut some circles etc. out of black and stick em on top.

now whether i get them on in the right place is a different story

chris

• Peter Shaw

December 13, 2007 at 1:30 pm
    quote :

Roland techs told me that the eye will not always read matte laminated prints

The one time I had this problem, described above, was with satin laminate.

Peter

• pilot

December 13, 2007 at 2:04 pm

Thank you all.

I gave up after 2 hours trying and done the cutting manually. Through the complicated cutting path, I felt like a surgeon :-))

Once again, thank you all. I have never done after-cutting before, so all of the hints are welcome. I hope, next time a I´ll get the VersaCAMM to cut.

• Gary Birch

December 13, 2007 at 2:14 pm

I`m sure practice is all that is needed. I know the first time I tried it took a while.

After about 6 or 7 attempts it starts getting to you.

Cheers

Gary

• Chris Wool

December 13, 2007 at 3:02 pm

never tried it but is there a manual way to set the dots

chris

• pilot

December 13, 2007 at 5:02 pm
    quote Chris Wool:

chris

Yes it is, I have tried it, but at least, I haven´t push the print button. I was too scary to mess up the job.

• Peter Shaw

December 13, 2007 at 6:21 pm

You can always take the blade out to run a test

• Shane Drew

December 13, 2007 at 11:39 pm
    quote Chris Wool:

chris

I’ve got one contract job that is a 3m print, and the machine always stops at 2.8m telling can’t find the crop. I have to do it manually, its a pain in the rear end, but it works well. As has been said. If its important I put a pen in the blade holder to check it first, just to re assure myself it will be ok. 😕

• Chris Wool

December 14, 2007 at 12:09 am

shane some one on here said when it gets to its limit and says it cant find.
    i think he said press enter and it will continue.

chris

• Shane Drew

December 14, 2007 at 12:15 am
    quote Chris Wool:

shane some one on here said when it gets to its limit and says it cant find.
    i think he said press enter and it will continue.

chris

Must confess I saw that post, tried it, but didn’t work for me 🙁 Might give it another go next time the contract comes up, just to be sure I was not doing something wrong

Thanks Chris