Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Gallery vehicle graphics: touring car replica, Astra 888.

• vehicle graphics: touring car replica, Astra 888.

Posted by Hugh Potter on February 26, 2006 at 9:19 pm

hey all, first job worth posting in a while,

fitted it today, cold, windy, but dry !

its one of only 102 2001 Astra 888 coupé’s built in recognition of vauxhalls touring car championship winning car,

took about 4 hours of design etc, 2hrs to cut and pre-layer certain bits, and about 4 hours to apply,

not one of those jobs you’ll really get your monies worth on, but a good advert as my name is where a driver specific sponsors name went,

the white and red is oracle 751c, first time i’ve used it, i have to say i’m impressed with it, especially when getting it around awkward bits on the fuel cap etc, conforms really well with a little heat,

sorry about the pics, was dark time we’d cut one last bit i’d fogotten !

anyways…………………..

Attachments:

Garrie replied 18 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Hugh Potter

February 26, 2006 at 9:20 pm

and,,

Attachments:

• Richard Urquhart

February 26, 2006 at 9:23 pm

looks good mate well done lots of little bits
    one thing that looks a bit biffy to me is the astra on the bonnet !!!
    but i guess that what was on it
    nice work mate

• Hugh Potter

February 26, 2006 at 9:27 pm

thats right richard, the car is as close as we could get it from iffy internet photo’s !

the proper race car had the arches further up the body too, so we had to just go by eye on a few bits, [/left]

• Peter Normington

February 26, 2006 at 9:54 pm

Nice one Hugh,

I see you even fitted the original sign makers sponsorship logo!

Peter

• Hugh Potter

February 26, 2006 at 10:09 pm

absolutely Pete !!

the guy who came to me was a real nice bloke (does windscreens so may come in handy too !), he said there were two cars campaigned that year, and the drivers both had their own sponsor there, so he asked if i’d give a discount for some advertising, i said yes, but only in the form of better materials than the ‘standard range’ i would normally use, he agreed, obviously !

it gave me the chance to work with 751, so although it cost me more than double my usual material cost, it was worth doing to se how i liked it, andhow it behaved compared to 651, i’m well pleased with it, and will certainly use it again if i get the call for it. unfortunatly i don’t get the same discount on 751c as i do 651 so it won’t be too frequently used … yet !

• Dave Armstrong

February 26, 2006 at 10:22 pm

Looks good

I get quite a few race cars from circuit and oval racing. Have three Formula Fords to do over the next month.

Here’s a “Thunder Saloon” I replicated back to it’s livery from ’92

The first pic is what I had to work with.

Second Is the finished item.

When I was at Brands to watch it race, I meet the guy who first done it, and except for a slight difference in colour shades, thought it was a good copy 😀

Attachments:

• Robert Lambie

February 26, 2006 at 10:29 pm

nice work mate… you seem to get allot of cars to work on, is that due to your intrests in dukes cars etc?
    nice car too… thats what i drive just now, but mine is silver, the coupe that is… 😉

• Hugh Potter

February 26, 2006 at 10:38 pm

you mean the astra Rob ? it was a nice car ! and i’m not usually keen on them as a rule ! is yours a triple eight too, or the regular coupe ? this one is apparently 2l turbo and very very quick ! cant remember the bhp, but it was impressive for a factory car.

this job was actually as a result of a walk about, i dropped a flyer into them and he remembered it when thinking of doing this, but unusually (apparently) his boss had a clearout and it was chucked away, said he spent half an hour going thru rubbish bags in their skip to find it !!! result !

Dave, thats a nice job mate ! though there were enough curves on the astra to keep me busy, dunno if i’d want any more to deal with, trouble i find, is that a panel often looks to have only one curve, and then you only realise it’s compound as you come to the end of the decal !! i much prefer the older yank stuf i’m more akin to dealing with, very few compounds on them !

• Robert Lambie

February 26, 2006 at 10:53 pm

hugh, this is gonna sound daft, but i couldnt tell you the engine size. 😳 im not a car man… if i like the look then thats as much as i go into it all… my mate thought it was typical of me NOT to test drive the car either.. just sat in it in car showroom and thougt yeh this is ok. :lol1:
    this pictures is almost exact same as mine but i have different alloys.

your right those, these are very fast cars. i dont drive fast, but have on occassion sunk the foot and it can really shift.
    anyway… im getting rid of it soon coming. one thing i dont like is the seats, sorta sport style and kill the sides of your legs on log drives.
    😀

oh and yeh its astra coupe

• Hugh Potter

February 27, 2006 at 1:13 pm

i can see the differences now between the 888 and the regliar coupe, both nice shape though ! well if you need a kit doing, just give me a shout 😉

• valegraphics

February 28, 2006 at 11:55 pm

Nice work hugh. I remember reading your thread about this job. I think it turned out allright mate. My thoughts exactly on the 751c. Havent really tested it to its limits yet tho.

Matt

• Hugh Potter

March 1, 2006 at 7:33 am
    quote valegraphics:

Nice work hugh. I remember reading your thread about this job. I think it turned out allright mate. My thoughts exactly on the 751c. Havent really tested it to its limits yet tho.

Matt

cheers Matt, but with my skills i doubt i’ll ever test it to its limits !!!

• valegraphics

March 1, 2006 at 6:09 pm

Hugh, did an ex-phs movano recently. Customer wanted the already painted “swoosh” which goes the lenght of the van covered in vinyl.

Used the 751c and i was really impressed with its capabilities. Even in baltic conditions. I’m an oracle disciple now! lol 😎

Keep playing with it mate. It’s awesome stuff

Matt

• Hugh Potter

March 1, 2006 at 6:20 pm

i think i’ll use it more for the auto applications, or certainly reccomend it, insist on it in some cases ! i did get a couple of small creases on the larger decals due to the compound curves etc, but in general was well chuffed, stuck like the proverbial, despite the temp being only about 6degs C !

what impressed me most was how easy it was to conform around odd shapes like the finger hole for opening the fuel cap cover, it was pronounced and with a little heat it virtually wrapped itself !

• Garrie

March 26, 2006 at 9:03 pm

hey you know that looks almost like my car, but I have nicer wheels :lol1: