Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Printer Ink valuejet 1204 and ink smudges on banner material

• valuejet 1204 and ink smudges on banner material

Posted by arran mitchell on November 18, 2007 at 8:45 am

Has anyone experienced what I can only describe as random ink smudges when using banner material. I have a valuejet 1204 and am using spandex 2113 banner. I have tried cleaning the wiper and it worked for two or three more prints but then started again. I was wondering if it has anything to do with moisture or condensation on the material because the room I keep the printer in is quite cold.
    Many thanks
    Arran

Colin Crow replied 15 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • John.Taggart

November 18, 2007 at 11:48 am

Hi Arran

I’ve got a 1604 but I’ve not experienced this problem. I’ve used Banner from various suppliers and they all seem to run pretty well through the machine with no ink droplets.

I’m running the machine in a cold environment too so I don’t think that’s the problem.

Have you spoken to the engineer?

Hope you get it sorted.

• Neil Herbert

November 18, 2007 at 11:57 am

Hi Arran
    We have a VJ 1604 and suffered this problem we found it normally was caused by the head brushing the top of the canvas. We found that the way the material was wound was important and when loading on to back spool rather than pushing the ends on tight we left some play this allowed the roll to move sidewards when needed an cured our problem.

Also check for a build up of ink on the bottom of the head and surrounding area.

Hope this is of some help

Neil

• arran mitchell

November 18, 2007 at 7:04 pm

Many thanks to you all for your help. I believe it was caused by the material becoming skewed and developing ridges which caught the head.
    It’s a great printer and we are going though a voyage of discovery.
    Many thanks once again,
    Arran

• Karen Gianfrancesco

May 21, 2008 at 7:53 pm
    quote arran mitchell:

Many thanks to you all for your help. I believe it was caused by the material becoming skewed and developing ridges which caught the head.
    It’s a great printer and we are going though a voyage of discovery.
    Many thanks once again,
    Arran

Hi arran i have a 1204 valuejet and i am having terrible problems with wavey lines in all media whats your view ??

• Jon Marshall

May 21, 2008 at 11:09 pm

Well, the valujet does print in waves to prevent banding but if it is too visible then there is maybe a problem with the profiles being used or the material is feeding through too quick.

• Colin Crow

May 21, 2008 at 11:29 pm

We have had a 1204 for 8 months now and the only problems with smudges have been down to media skewing and rippling causing head brushing (easily cured by allowing some margin on the spool as mentioned above) or a build up of the fine reinforcing fibres on the head often found when banner material has been slit down exposing the hair like fibres on the edges (possibly more of a problem on the 1204 due to the odd size)

Wavy banding sounds like a machine issue and has never been present on our printer – I suggest a head clean followed by a service call.

Colin