• tom tom 500

Posted by Brian Little on December 10, 2006 at 9:35 am

hi folks ……does anyone own the above . having real hassle with it these last few days just wondered if anyone could shed some light on the problem .I switch it on …..tom tom graphic comes up with the music …..and then i get the screen with side profile of tom tom …..with the sim card coming out with a red cross going thru it …..as if to say dont remove the sim card .Ive tried everything i know like this has happened when i got the unit and i just reebooted it underneath theres a small hole that you can put a pin thru to do this …..but this time no luck . Im really reluctant to put the unit back to the electrical store i bought it from because thru personal experience with a comp i bought from them they do nothing on site ….and as such everything takes an eternity .

kind regards Brian … hope someone can help

Shane Drew replied 17 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Nick Minall

December 10, 2006 at 9:59 am

Brian, have you tried removing and refitting the sim card, maybe the contacts are a bit dirty mate.

• Brian Little

December 10, 2006 at 10:20 am

hmmm never thought of that nik but it looks clean enough …..ill try it tho i was just looking on tom tom web site to see if there was a help line

cheers my friend

• Shane Drew

December 10, 2006 at 2:34 pm

I agree with nick, I’d clean the contacts with a soft white rubber brian.

• David Rogers

December 10, 2006 at 3:02 pm

If you’ve not got it sorted yet.

TomTom standalone units are really temperamental at the best of times.

Click out the SD card (with power OFF) and re-insert. That SHOULD fix the problem – if not – click the reset button with the power ON.

I’ve seen that problem before – usually just after attempting a ‘TomTom Home’ update.

Get used to it Brian…those things are totally unstable!!

‘We’ bought 8 of them for the staff (TomTom ONE) – and they are forever resetting them or back into me for ‘fixing’.

ps. The new front-end software is good – (free update), as is the lastest UK/Eur map. £33 and a bigger SD card (£5odd for a 512Mb).

• Brian Little

December 10, 2006 at 5:20 pm

hmmm thanks guys i appreciate the feed back but ive tried the lot …..cant even reboot it it just doesnt want to play atoll .Its weird your right Dave i did up date it last week sure enough the problems started then .Do you think thye sim could be corupt …..and if so is it just a quick nik down to Dixons to get a new one ?.Ive got all the sytem backed up on the comp so is it not just a case of getting the stuff loaded onto the new sim ?

• Nick Minall

December 10, 2006 at 5:28 pm

Brian, can you not re program the sim card?

• Brian Little

December 10, 2006 at 5:36 pm

hi Nic ….just having a look to see if i can on the tom tom home site …im a bit "thick as mince" with these things it has to be said …..by the way i was looking on this handy site …www.dropvault.com. tells you 10 of the most commen fault ….my one is there just trying to sus it out ….have a look at the site if you get a mo folks

• David Rogers

December 10, 2006 at 5:43 pm
    quote brian little:

hmmm thanks guys i appreciate the feed back but ive tried the lot …..cant even reboot it it just doesnt want to play atoll .Its weird your right Dave i did up date it last week sure enough the problems started then .Do you think thye sim could be corupt …..and if so is it just a quick nik down to Dixons to get a new one ?.Ive got all the sytem backed up on the comp so is it not just a case of getting the stuff loaded onto the new sim ?

Brian, do you have the original CD to rewrite the SD card in TomTom Home?

Failing that, time for a new SD card. But try restoring it first (probably 120Mb worth). I don’t know if the TT 500 uses the same software as the TT ONE – but if it does I’ve got a spare TT One Card for you to try. (Image also backed up on PC) (legit). If it does – could copy the disk image to another card & you’d be back in business as the ORIGINAL disks supplied with the units can be stuck in another machine as they are not coded to that particular one…unlike the updated maps etc. (You get the basic software ONLY when you purchase a standalone unit so there was no need to copy protect it.)

Dave

• Brian Little

December 10, 2006 at 5:56 pm

DOOOHHHHEE you no what im like with these things dave 😀 😀 😀 Ive got the original cd yes but ithought it was just anothere kind of access point to the web page .I remmeber when i first got this home with me the sim was in the box wrapped in its own litte white plastic box and flanked by four police riders ….sorry thats a downrite lie …there was only two 😀 😀 sorry but this thing is driving me crazy .Every time i look at the screen al im seeing is the profile of the tom tom …..with the graphic of the card with the red cross going thru it …..i once thought that that ment do not remove the card .Oh and when i take it out and put it back again the yellow bar line loads as if it is writting something to the card …but know luck …….i had this happen the very first time i started it up and had to reboot it but this time it doesnt seem to want to reboot hmmm if you get a moment you might like to look at that sight …www.dropvault.com …and look at the ten most common probs …cheers my friend

• David Rogers

December 10, 2006 at 6:27 pm

Hi Brian

just checked one of the ‘One’ CD’s – nothing of much value on it. Just voices & rubbish. So yours is probably the same. ie, no mapping software…
    Great idea there TomTom 🙄 …sell a volatile product with no way of fixing it unless you took a copy when you first got it….imagine, expecting us to read and follow the instructions before playing with it!

You wanna try sticking in my card to see if it works? (The unit only reads the software – isn’t affected by it). Worth a try… you got nuffin’ to lose.

Dave

• Brian Little

December 10, 2006 at 6:32 pm

yep that would be great dave ….you about tuesday dinner time ….eh my treat beenas i ddnt manages last week 😳 😳 😳 failing that dave it looks like a trip back to the Dixons repair dept which i dont want to do as they send them away

• David Rogers

December 10, 2006 at 6:42 pm

Tuesday should be OK.

Yeh, re. last week. Have you found your mobile?

Dave

• Brian Little

December 10, 2006 at 6:48 pm

na that was a totasl mystery to me and others ….i was hardy anywher last week ……i was through at stirling uni this afternoon my wee lass has givin me her motorolo as a pre chrissy precent …its pink but hey it will bring my girly side out …it rings …i can take piccys on it just wondering how to put them on the web …my tom tom cable fits right into it but cant find driver …but does come up motorolo connected so things are looking up lol lol 😀 😀 😀

• Harry Cleary

December 11, 2006 at 10:38 am
    quote Shane Drew:

I agree with nick, I’d clean the contacts with a soft white rubber brian.

Wonder would Sanity Clause bring me one of those! 😀 😀

• David Rogers

December 25, 2006 at 1:48 am

Just a wee update – we got it sorted.

TomTom upgraded front-end (free download) & a new 2006 map on a bigger SD card…no more driving through fields & ‘take the first exit’ screamed at you for non-existent roundabouts…

• Shane Drew

December 25, 2006 at 2:04 am
    quote David Rogers:

Just a wee update – we got it sorted.

TomTom upgraded front-end (free download) & a new 2006 map on a bigger SD card…no more driving through fields & ‘take the first exit’ screamed at you for non-existent roundabouts…

Thank goodness. I can stop worrying about you guys getting lost now :lol1:

I know what you mean about the directions tho. I was racing down the freeway the other day, the lead car in a convoy, because I had the Navman. Little lady kept telling me to go right at the next roundabout in 150m. Problem was I was on a dead straight road, not a roundabout in sight. When I drove past the ‘point’ I was told to do a u turn as soon as possible. No break in the concrete wall for 35 klm’s. Everyone had a great laugh at my expense. Turns out it thought I was on the service road that ran parralel to the highway 😕