Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Industry News (Archive) The brand New Roland VersaArt RE-640

• The brand New Roland VersaArt RE-640

Posted by .News on August 28, 2012 at 10:46 am

Roland’s New VersaArt Printer Delivers Faster Print Speeds and Exceptional Print Quality

[u]Roland[/u] DG (UK) Ltd., a leading worldwide provider of wide-format inkjet printers and printer/cutters, has launched the brand new VersaArt RE-640, a 64-inch eco-solvent printer.

Priced £10,999 and offering superb performance and productivity, [u]Roland[/u] has once again smashed the barriers to entry to high-speed sign and display production. The price includes a one year [u]Roland[/u]Care Silver warranty and an Intermediate Digital Print course at the [u]Roland[/u] DG Academy.

“The new VersaArt printer is designed to meet the demands of today’s global marketplace by providing high-speed printing and impressive colour reproduction at an affordable price point,” said Brett Newman, Technical Director, [u]Roland[/u] DG (UK). “Sign shops and print providers will appreciate the performance features, versatility and outstanding overall value offered by our eco-solvent RE-640. It offers the fast production environment a balance between speed and quality that is unmatched at this price point in the UK.”

Engineered for long, unattended production runs, the new VersaArt features [u]Roland[/u]’s latest print head technology for outstanding image quality. The VersaArt’s unique eight-channel print head accurately reproduces the finest details while delivering vibrant high-density colours for flawless photographic reproductions, smooth gradations and superb contrast. A mirrored dual CMYK ink configuration (CMYKKYMC) produces unrivalled colour consistency, even in the fastest print mode of 23.1 m2/hr. In fact, with the new VersaArt, the image quality achieved in high-speed mode equals that of the previous model’s standard mode. As a result, high-quality prints can be produced much faster.

Click the VIDEO Image below to start watching this Video. You will need Sound (-music)
    <embed width="500" height="400" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" wmode="transparent" name="main" id="main" allowfullscreen="false" src="http://www.isigntube.com/player/vPlayer.swf?f=http://www.isigntube.com/player/vConfig_embed.php?vkey=7929182aadd08703f1ec&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

Click the VIDEO Image below to start watching this Video. You will need Sound (-music)
    <embed width="500" height="400" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" wmode="transparent" name="main" id="main" allowfullscreen="false" src="http://www.isigntube.com/player/vPlayer.swf?f=http://www.isigntube.com/player/vConfig_embed.php?vkey=e772b9dc0b86f46e583f&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

VersaArt RE-640 features:
    64-inch wide-format eco-solvent inkjet printer
    featuring Eco-Sol Max ink
    Four colours (dual CMYK)
    [u]Roland[/u] OnSupport
    Remotely track production with alerts to your computer or smart phone when ink is low or a job is finished.
    Advanced print head technology for exceptional print quality
    Variable droplet control produces droplets in seven different sizes to accurately reproduce every detail
    Mirrored eight-channel ink configuration ensures colour consistency at all print speeds
    [u]Roland[/u] Intelligent Pass Control virtually eliminates banding
    Maximum print speed
    23.1m2/hr.
    Easy maintenance and low running costs
    Automated cleaning function to minimise ink consumption
    A dual-wiping system effectively removes dust and debris from the print head to reduce maintenance requirements
    Powerful, easy-to-use [u]Roland[/u] VersaWorks® RIP software
    Media profiles that automatically adjust the colour, amount of ink and other factors critical to print quality
    Easy-to-use interface for quality results from the very first print
    Energy Star and [u]Roland[/u] ECO label certified for environmentally-friendly operation and long-term performance
    Unmatched service and support with [u]Roland[/u] DG Care, Academy and Creative Centre

Service and Support Resources
    For added value, [u]Roland[/u] products are backed by [u]Roland[/u] DG Care, providing reliable, world-class service and support for all [u]Roland[/u] products over their lifespan. [u]Roland[/u] DG Academy teaches everything from printer basics to advanced production techniques, applications and more. The [u]Roland[/u] DG Creative Centre is an extensive gallery of real-world applications and a great source of inspiration for new creative ideas at the [u]Roland[/u] head office near Bristol.

For more information on [u]Roland[/u]’s VersaART RE-640 printer
    visit http://www.rolanddg.co.uk/RE-640
    call 0845 230 90 60

David Rowland replied 11 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • David Rowland

August 28, 2012 at 11:23 am

Excuse my ignorance, but isn’t this the same as the RS-640 in 4 colour mode? same everything and one modern head?

• David Hammond

August 28, 2012 at 11:50 am

Pretty much looks it yep.

Can’t see what advantage that has over my RS?

• Robert Lambie

August 29, 2012 at 10:00 am

Our two Roland machines have the older Epson heads, so im a bit out of touch on the newer Roland printers and i am by no means any sort of expert when it comes to printing. but the new print heads sound like they have variable droplets and that being the case, you get much better quality and faster print output as stated above, but if i am right, does having variable sized droplets not also help reduce the ink usage? I only mentioned this because our UV Flatbed had the variable droplets and this was something pushed to us as a selling point. i.e. helps reduce ink usage. (I am saying this now and probably have some printer sales folk reading this and thinking "sucker" :lol1:) but thought i would mention it anyway because combined with superior quality, faster printing, elimination of banding and less ink usage, that’s a significant upgrade if this is not available on the likes of David-H’s machine.

also the speeds quoted are on par with our older Soljet 2, but offering better quality output. but on a machine that’s Newer, wider and nearly half the price.

anyway, as i say, i am out of touch on what’s already on the likes of David’H’s machine but thought the parts ive mentioned above makes it a very interesting printer option.

apologies in advance if i have missed the obvious. 😀

• Kevin Flowers

August 29, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Just looked this machine up and it is an updated version of the early RS, but they are now using a Gold Plated version of the 8 channel variable droplet head. A nice touch in my opinion is the reversed colour. Would like to see this work up close but am presuming that this allows a slight drying time in between layers of ink and that a four pass would be equivalent to an eight pass at the four pass speed.
    Of course it may not work this way but thats my understanding of it. Look forward to hearing from anyone who gets to see one up close

Kev

• David Rowland

August 30, 2012 at 6:45 am

I understood the RS had the single golden head when i had the demo. I thought the next step for Roland would have been dual golden heads to compete with other machines. That’s why I posted and yes vari-drop Rob, very good head(s).

• David Hammond

August 30, 2012 at 6:47 am

Thought the RS just used the epson DX4 head?

Don’t know the spec of the head to be fair though.

• Alan Drury

August 30, 2012 at 7:38 am

Another question – how does this head compare with the Mimaki JV33 or the small Rolaland Studio. Reason I ask is that I have had jobs from suppliers who use either machines and the print quality is absolutely superb. I understand various machines share the same heads
    Alan D

• David Rowland

August 30, 2012 at 7:48 am

one big head… the latest DX lol
    The epson gs has two gold heads

• Tomi Orel

September 14, 2012 at 7:31 am
    quote Dave Rowland:

one big head… the latest DX lol
    The epson gs has two gold heads

If you are talking about the Epson GS6000 then that printer has only one 8 channel print head.

The Roland RS has 4-DX4 printheads same as Mimaki JV3

The new Roland RE has one 8 channel gold plated printhead and i believe is the same one as the GS6000 and also Mimaki JV33.

Now the new Roland that just came out which is the XR model has two 8 channel gold plated printheads.

• Tomi Orel

September 14, 2012 at 7:35 am
    quote Alan Drury:

Another question – how does this head compare with the Mimaki JV33 or the small Rolaland Studio. Reason I ask is that I have had jobs from suppliers who use either machines and the print quality is absolutely superb. I understand various machines share the same heads
    Alan D

It is the same printhead.

I just got the new RE model and it prints perfect, way better than the old technology that still uses DX4 printheads. Even at the fastest speed there is no banding. I just printed two retractable banners which had lot of solid colors and there was not even one dropout, banding or color shift. Very solid piece of machinery.

Note: The only downside of this printer is if you print at the fastest speed you gonna need an external dryer if you want to use the take up reel.

• David Rowland

September 14, 2012 at 1:31 pm

The Epson GS6000 has two print heads, possibly gold.

I think the industry needs to stop supplying DX4 printers now, which is what I am hoping Roland are doing.

Not sure what the new Epson model has yet.

• Kevin Flowers

September 14, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Dave
    they are the new Pro 4 is running 2 gold heads in mirrored CMYK with with options for White, Metallic & Light Black. It is extremely fast & produces saleable prints in Bill Board mode 8ft x 5ft in 5 minutes will try to post more on it later

Kev

• David Rowland

September 15, 2012 at 9:46 am

in that case…. Finally Roland caught up… as I would expect after doing my tests with Roland last year on the RS, it lacked speed. This machine in dual CMYK should be a monster!

There is an advert in the top right, £19,999. Not too bad for what you get.