• Posted by Jill on March 12, 2002 at 12:21 pm

    probably a stupid question but…. got to renew a back lit sign, coloured perspex,can I use ordinary vinyl or do I need something different.
    First one Ive done so any help appreciated.

    Paul Davenport replied 22 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

    March 12, 2002 at 12:53 pm

    Hi Jill.
    Nice to see you back on the boards.
    Yes, you can use normal vinyl.
    The proper vinyl to use is the translucent vinyl range. Europoint have a good selection if you need some.
    The problem you get using normal vinyl on these types of signs is they only allow about half the amount of light thru that a translucent does. e.g. a red letter in translucent would look bright red and vibrant but normal red vinyl appears to have a glow of red.
    Try sticking a bit of vinyl to and off cut and hold it against a light you will see what I mean.
    I would not recommend using normal vinyl if a large proportion of the sign is covered in vinyl.

  • Paul Davenport

    March 12, 2002 at 10:04 pm

    if you have to use ordinary vinyl, and the panel is opal, make sure you go for one of the more transleucent opals like 020, 030 as the std one everyone uses (050)is ok but you get more light transmission thro’ the lower numbered sheets and you will get a better colour from the vinyl but watch the over laps for giving you a dark edge !!


    Paul Davenport

Log in to reply.