Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Summa Cutters Summa D140 and Omega software…

• Summa D140 and Omega software…

Posted by Ben Hansen on January 27, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Hey guys, just thought id see what your opinions are , on the Summa D140.. as im about to buy it tomorrow. Along with the Omega Cut programme… Anyone tried this… Thanks 🙂

Warren Beard replied 14 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • John Harding

January 27, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Hi Ben – I used Omega at college, didnt like it a bit quirky, inputting text etc wasnt straightforward as some programmes, but that was a few years ago guess it may have improved now

John

• George Zerbino

January 28, 2009 at 8:37 am

Ben, I use a Summa T75 with Omega.
    I gather that the D140 is the dragknife version (the T version is the tangential one).

Best plotter I’ve ever had out of 7 that I have.

Cheers,

George Z.

• Michael Potter

January 28, 2009 at 10:57 pm

this may be a bit late,
    we have just purchased a gerber edge with omega software, with regard to the software, yes it is different but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. It has taken a few hours to get the basics and jobs that would take me 30min in corel or VMP take me a lot longer because i have to keep checking the manual. But i am having to look at the book less & less. One of the omega designers actually comes up on this web site so you will be able to get positive replies from users and designers.
    cheers Mike

• Karl Williams

January 28, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Hi Ben.
    Summa machines work fine with Omega. You may have to change the cutter emulation in the summa software from DMPL to HPGL. But I think in the newer omega package the cutters are named as Gerber PNC I think.

Hope that helps mate.

• George Zerbino

January 29, 2009 at 8:36 am

Ben

The plotter can be set to "auto" as a comms language.
    Omega supports the following as Summa plotters:
    Summacut D120 & D60
    Summa S120D S120T S160D S160T S75D S75T
    Summa SignPro D1010 D1400 D750 T1010 T1400 T750

My plotter is actually a Gerber P2C750, essentially a rebadged Summa, so it runs as a Summa S775T in Omega.

Regards.

• Ben Hansen

May 28, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Hello again. I have just spent a fortune buying a new pc to run my cutter, but then got told it could of quite easily got a plug in to run it from my new mac 🙁 Is anyone running a cutter direct from a mac? i have a new imac and a new Summa D140… all this memory sticking is doing my head in 🙁

• Warren Beard

May 28, 2009 at 2:44 pm

My Summa came with MacSign software which I use to cut from my imac.

Only way I have ever done it for over 2 years now.

cheers

Warren