Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Summa Cutters Summa d120 at work looking for a cheap hobby cutter for home

• Summa d120 at work looking for a cheap hobby cutter for home

Posted by Paul Wilson on May 24, 2010 at 11:56 am

Hiya Guys,

mentioned this very briefly in the ‘hello section’, I’m looking for a 600mm cutter to stick in my spare room at home for small jobs like t-shirts & decals when we go quiet in the summer for a month or so… If we get an order for 3 or 4 t-shirts then I’ll have to drive from my home in York to my office in cleckheaton = 70 mile round trip for the sake of a low profit job.

I’ve got a summa d120 in the office – had it for just shy of 5 years and it has never gone wrong once. If I could afford a 600 version for home then I would have one in a heartbeat, but for the small jobs I’ve got in mind the initial purchase cost would stamp all over the profit made from the smaller jobs.

I’m staying away from eBay as I don’t like doing large purchases unless I can view/test/collect the item in person.

I’ve noticed the promotion on the GrafiType website: http://www.grafityp.co.uk/ – A ‘Sable Cutting Plotter’ (specs on the 2nd page of this pdf). Normally £449 but now £322 for a limited time.. Anyone had any experience with Sable? Are they reliable/accurate? Cutting speed isn’t really an issue as if it’s an urgent/big job then I’ll be in the office.

Budget is around £300 for a cutter so any recommendations for a small 600 wide jobby would be greatly recommended.. Feel free to warn me away from any brands/machines you’ve had bad experiences with, and also feel free to recommend suppliers etc..

Thanks in advance everyone 🙂

Lee Attewell replied 13 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Lee Attewell

May 27, 2010 at 10:19 am

Sounds like you just want a bottom end machine. So why not go for an ebay purchase? Anything like a Roland Graphtec Summa would so you so I’m confused what you’re asking.

Am I just confused?

• David Rowland

May 27, 2010 at 10:23 am

me too, i wouldn’t like ur boss finding out that u got a cutter at home

• Lee Attewell

May 27, 2010 at 10:25 am

Edzachary!!!

• Peter Dee

May 27, 2010 at 10:33 am

I took it that it’s Paul’s own business?

• Paul Wilson

May 27, 2010 at 10:38 am

Cheers for the replies guys – I don’t think my boss would mind as I’m a sole trader 🙂

quote Paul Wilson:

I’ve noticed the promotion on the GrafiType website: http://www.grafityp.co.uk/ – A ‘Sable Cutting Plotter’ (specs on the 2nd page of this pdf). Normally £449 but now £322 for a limited time.. Anyone had any experience with Sable? Are they reliable/accurate? Cutting speed isn’t really an issue as if it’s an urgent/big job then I’ll be in the office.

Just the above really – I did stray onto ebay and have watched 2 x auctions for creation pcut ct630’s which both ended around £190 – does anyone have any experience with these? They look to be reasonably reliable once they’re set up and running properly..

quote Paul Wilson:

Budget is around £300 for a cutter so any recommendations for a small 600 wide jobby would be greatly recommended.. Feel free to warn me away from any brands/machines you’ve had bad experiences with, and also feel free to recommend suppliers etc..

Thanks in advance everyone 🙂

I read one horror story from a guy who said he stripped his cheap horrible chinese cutter down and found that the drive belt was made from an old tape measure! Just looking to avoid any horror stories like this etc..

• Lee Attewell

May 27, 2010 at 10:42 am

Glad you got that sorted Paul 😀

I started my biz with a cheap Chinese plotter – a GCC Lynx and it worked really well for me for nearly 10 years. It’s still sitting in the workshop under a tarp in case my Roland dies (which I’m sure it won’t).

It looks like you’ve found one in the ball park of what you want to pay so why not go for it?