Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Sublimation Printing Sublimation update please on the Ricoh GX5050n

• Sublimation update please on the Ricoh GX5050n

Posted by Ian Pople on December 11, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Hello all,

Sorry to drag this subject up again but my Epsom D120 needs replacing. I have the Ricoh sat in storage and it now seems time to take the plunge and purchase the Sub carts for the Ricoh.

But just before I order then please can you all give me your feed back on the Ricoh and the best place and price to order the cartridges.

Have any of you left the Ricoh for a period of time without printing and if so did it clog up, print quality ect.

Thanks

Ian

Jason Davies replied 14 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • John Gregson

December 11, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Hi Ian,
    I’ve had the ricoh 5050n for about a month now and am really impressed with it. The longest i’ve left it was around 7 days and it didn’t need anything done to it. I have got into the habit though of printing something at least every 2 days to keep it flowing but as said above – its not really necessary. As a back up I’ve also bought a spare – couldn’t resist it at that price.

The inks are expensive at £60 per colour from Xpres. The 1st set of ink gets a good hit by the printer to fill the lines – especially the yellow and magenta as I think it splits this to make light yellow/magenta. Shop around and you may be able to save £2 or £3 per colour on the carts.

The good thing about this printer is there’s no mess and the carts are easy to insert – it is also solidly built.

Quality: I’ve never had an epson sub printer so cannot comment on the difference – all I can say is the prints are sharp and colours vivid. A few people on other forums were having print problems and say that the quality isn’t up to that of the epson. I’m as happy as a pig in $4it with the quality of my ricoh though.

If your using the Ricoh 5050n download the profile from the sawgrass site and don’t use the original ink supplied with the printer.

Cheers John

• Ian Pople

December 11, 2009 at 5:09 pm

hi thanks for that they have 2 versions on the sawgrass site for profiles are you using v1 or v2.

Thanks

Ian

• John Gregson

December 11, 2009 at 7:38 pm

I think it was v2 but i’ll have to check at work tomorrow.

Cheers John

• John Gregson

December 11, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Its just the ICC profile I installed as i don’t think powerdriver supports the 5050n – just the 7000. I used the install disc that came with the printer then configured the profile/driver.
    Cheers John

• Ian Pople

December 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm

ok thanks

• Jason Davies

March 30, 2010 at 7:44 pm

John, thanks for the tip on cartridges for the Ricoh, just run out of Magenta and Yellow. I’ll give Xpres a bell tomorrow.
    Regards
    Jason