Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers SP300 PRINTING SPOT COLOURS

• SP300 PRINTING SPOT COLOURS

Posted by George Elsmore on February 13, 2009 at 10:11 am

Morning all, I am having a senior moment! I have forgot how to make my printer print pure magenta?? the printer is roland sp300 my rip is colorip 2.2. I thought that if i click magenta as a colour in coreldaw x3 it would print 100% magenta but it looks more like purple?? using ecosol max inks btw…any help on this would be appreciated.

Cheers

G

George Elsmore replied 14 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 38 Replies
  • 38 Replies
  • Mark Elvidge

February 13, 2009 at 11:00 am

severall ways in colorip but quickest would be spot colour replacement.

right click on colour in question–select spot colour replace.

do a device bypass and specify colour needed.

i think colorip uses uses 255 as the maximum value for cmyk rather than 100%

hope this helps.

• George Elsmore

February 13, 2009 at 11:12 am

Cheers Mark, will this now print with just the magenta ink?

• Mark Elvidge

February 13, 2009 at 11:13 am

yes it should if you specify device bypass and 255 magenta.

• George Elsmore

February 13, 2009 at 11:16 am

about to give it a whirl will let you know….maybe the eco sol magenta ink is not the same as my pantone chart 😮

• Mark Elvidge

February 13, 2009 at 11:20 am

it wont be exactly the same.

• George Elsmore

February 13, 2009 at 11:34 am

:2thumbs: Thanks your a star all is well

• George Elsmore

February 13, 2009 at 11:37 am

still baffled to why when you pick magenta in coreldraw x3 it says 100% magenta it prints purple (?)

• Mark Elvidge

February 13, 2009 at 12:51 pm

all to do with colour management.

your colourip will probably be set defaulted to perceptual for rendering vectors.
    change this to colorimetric and that will get you almost where you need to be.

too long a subject for the forum.

Mark.

• Stephen Ingham

February 13, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Hi mark, i have the same type of issue when printing black, it looks more of a really dark green….

Any ideas?

cheers
    stephen

• George Elsmore

February 13, 2009 at 12:59 pm

sorry to be a pain but where do i find if it is set to default?

• Mark Elvidge

February 13, 2009 at 1:00 pm

give me 30mins.

• George Elsmore

February 13, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Cheers

• Mark Elvidge

February 13, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Ok, Checking Rendering Intents In Wasatch/Troop/Colorip.

Rendering intents manage how out of gamut colours are mapped into the achievable gamut of your printer/media/ink/rip combination.

if i get time and if people would like to see how this works i have several videos i created for when i lecture at the Roland Academy.

I have used wasatch as i cant find my colorip cd but same applies.

1) select printer in use and click on the setup cogs to access the configurations.

2) select the imaging configuration you wish to edit and click EDIT

3) click on colour transforms

4) Ignore My RHS of this screen, I havent profiled into wasatch for a while & this is just a dummy setting, yours should be linked with green arrows.

On the left hand side you will see

RGB VECTOR, RGB RASTER, CMYK RASTER & CMYK VECTOR

5) Now there are no set rules on what should be used and when but as a good base setting the below will work well.

RGB RASTER- PERCEPTUAL
    RGB VECTOR- COLORIMETRIC
    CMYK RASTER- PERCEPTUAL
    CMYK VECTOR- COLORIMETRIC

Obviously input profiles can be modified from the default also here, again that can be explained if there is any response.

colour managment doesnt need to be difficult, it is not a dark art (like laminating) and there are only a few rules to follow.

the rendering intents will be applicable to other rips also such as shiraz and versaworks.

hope this is of some help.

Mark Elvidge,
    Optimise.

• George Elsmore

February 13, 2009 at 1:48 pm

RELATIVE or ABSOLUTE COLORIMETRIC Mark?

• Mark Elvidge

February 13, 2009 at 1:50 pm

sorry, relative.

absolute colorimetric tries to reproduce the media colour which is not reccomended for digi inkjet.

imagine proofing the financial times on white media, it would print the pink.

• Warren Beard

February 13, 2009 at 1:51 pm
    quote Stephen Ingham:

Hi mark, i have the same type of issue when printing black, it looks more of a really dark green….

Any ideas?

cheers
    stephen

I would like to know more about this 😕

• George Elsmore

February 13, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Mark many thanks for this you are a gent

• Mark Elvidge

February 13, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Black looking Dark green is probably related to the above.

when set to perceptual vectors that are filled with black are printed 4 colour.

if you have poor profiles or a printer that is not linear (maybe several nozzles missing from say C) this can cause a CAST on the finished colour making it appear in this case green.

when vectors are printed using a reasonable profile and using colorimetric it preserves more of the original input colour characteristics. ie you ask for black you get black……….

perceptual changes all the colours in the file to suit the ones it cant hit

• Chris Wool

February 13, 2009 at 3:04 pm

thank you for your time mark.
    my question is Grey being greenish. never had much of a problem with this until about 2 months ago and looks fine indoors until you go outside.
    i cant see any part of the rip that’s altered or profile usage ?

i will make up a setting up as above and see if a difference

sc540
    roland ecosolmax
    colourrip 2.2

chris

• Mark Elvidge

February 13, 2009 at 3:12 pm

hi chris the phenomena that you describe is called metamarism where 2 colours can appear to be the same under 1 lightsource but can differ when viewed under another.

there was a lot of talk on this on the DG forums but i have never really seen it.

for greyscale i usually reccomend, good profiles, linear printer, image as greyscale and then you can use preserve primary colour in versaworks or spot colour replace in wasatch if needed.

• Chris Wool

February 13, 2009 at 3:32 pm

i have played with the separations rule but not satisfactory across the range of light blacks.
    if doing a single vector of 20% black i add 3% C to make the colour more grey than green. but this does not work with outher amounts of black
    all heads are fine. as i say never a problem until a few months ago.even checked things like have i put a cart in the wrong hole.

chris

• George Elsmore

February 13, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Mark if i pick a pantone colour in coreldraw say a brown 4635C it prints a lot darker if i was to bring it into rip right click spot colour replace it and bypass colour management would it come out closer to the pantone required?

• Mark Elvidge

February 13, 2009 at 3:54 pm

probably not.

pantone is often misused in this way. it is believed that you can choose the colour from the application pallete and then the print will look like it.

pantone is a way of communicating colour from one site to another.

ie customer wants 345, you check pantone swatch and patch 345 to a colour that you can print with your system.**

there are far too many factors involved for it just to work.

some colours will be very good, others will be nowhere near. the colour bridge pantone book is a good asset to have as it shows the pantone colour and the nearest CMYK equivelant.

**ie Roland colour, or for anyone using wasatch global colour or you can make your own using a swatch.

i have a 8000 patch colour swatch that is very handy when it comes to matching pantones.

print the file using your correct media,profile resolution etc.
    mount on wall, compare to pantone for nearest match, use this cmyk value in the artwork so you know that when it prints it will be spot on.

the file is about 50mb, i will host it on rapidshare and post the link here if that is allowed? mod?

thanks

• George Elsmore

February 13, 2009 at 3:56 pm

please mod 😀

Thanks again Mark

• Mark Elvidge

February 13, 2009 at 4:09 pm

i will risk it,

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7677 … 9ca275cd0c

apologies if this is against board rules, i am only trying to help 😀

zipped to 13mb

print directly from rip using EXACT same settings that you will be comparing for.

Regards.

Mark.

• Mark Elvidge

February 13, 2009 at 4:12 pm

also i have the pantone swatches as pdf files so you can print them and see how close/far away you are and maybe use pantone xxx instead of pantone yyy.

again can i post? mod?

• Gary Birch

February 13, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Mark
    Thanks for that, will come in very handy.

Cheers

Gary

• George Elsmore

February 13, 2009 at 4:37 pm

mark i have downloaded and am looking at it now what are the number references forgive me if it obvious but its been a long week 😀

• Mark Elvidge

February 13, 2009 at 4:39 pm

sorry i should have explained they are in the format CMY

so 10 65 75

would be C10% M65% Y75%

that ok?

• George Elsmore

February 13, 2009 at 4:43 pm

baffled if i type a colour in cmy in the coreldraw pallette the colour is different than the swatch what am i doing wrong Mark?

• George Elsmore

February 13, 2009 at 4:44 pm

ignore the last post i am being thick sorted now 😳

• Mark Elvidge

February 14, 2009 at 11:31 am

so did it work?

can you now print pretty close to Pantone?

• Chris Wool

February 14, 2009 at 2:05 pm

thanks mark

any ideas on greys please non in that file

chris

• George Elsmore

February 14, 2009 at 4:47 pm

going to do it on Monday cheers again Mark

• Mark Elvidge

February 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Hi Chris i will upload a swatch with grey scale on also.

best way would be to have a neutral one using only K and a cmy one using 3 colours.

will post it up later.

thanks

• George Elsmore

February 16, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Mark downloaded and printed lots of pantones close to what i need many many thanks, the only one i cannot get as close as i like to is pantone warm red c…..weird really i thought that would be one of the easier colours to match 😕

• Chris Wool

February 16, 2009 at 9:15 pm
    quote mark optimise:

Hi Chris i will upload a swatch with grey scale on also.

best way would be to have a neutral one using only K and a cmy one using 3 colours.

will post it up later.

thanks

i have tried making my own using cmy cmyl and rgb, rgb and cmy all values are equal cmyk = k only.
    all print identical and look fine coming out of the printer till you take them out side then just turn a shade of greenish.

tried different profiles.
    all heads 99 % ok
    reset bi-directional settings was a tiny bit off.
    i have printed a roland colour pdf which has not been in or out of corel draw same result so ruled out corel.
    now if roland said they have changed ink supplier i would believe them, have they.

all normal printing is just fine nice colours loverly blacks and reds just this tinge a green in the greys

chris

• George Elsmore

October 7, 2009 at 9:53 am

never did get the grey swatch pdf posted 🙁