Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers SP300 print head stopped working – help please?

• SP300 print head stopped working – help please?

Posted by Mike Grant on November 21, 2014 at 10:27 am

Hi guys, I went to use my printer yesterday and was surprised to find my yellow/magenta head doesen’t seem to want to fire at all. I have done multiple full head cleans and left it to soak overnight. I am using Eco-sol max inks and the dampers are full of ink. There is absolutly no ink at all coming out for both colours which makes me think it is more than just an ink supply problem. I have never had a problem with this head in the 10 years I have had the machine. I will say that the machine isn’t used too much just once or twice a month but not had any issues up until now. Can anyone shed any light on this one for me. 😥

Kevin Flowers replied 9 years, 5 months ago 8 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Jamie Wood

November 21, 2014 at 10:50 am

I’ve had this with our JV3. Sometimes, just switching the machine off and on can sort
    it, but on one occasion, it was the slider board.

• Mike Grant

November 21, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Thanks Jamie I’ll try that.

What is a "slider board"??? 😕

• Jamie Wood

November 21, 2014 at 3:31 pm

It’s a circuit board in the head assembly, so I assume that it controls the heads. If it’s
    gone, you’ll need a new one.

• Mike Grant

November 21, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Tried switching on and off but no difference. 😥

• Chris Wool

November 21, 2014 at 5:34 pm

you could try and pull some ink through connect a siringe to the captop pipe where it joins the punp and slow steady pull you are also checking for a air leak.. if there is a air leak then the pumps will not be cleaning the heads

other posibility is the head fuse on the motherboard has blown.

• Graeme Dingwall

November 21, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Hi Mike,

Try swapping the ribbon cables from the black and cyan head to the magenta head and see if the problem changes places.

if it changes places it will be the fuses on the main board.

Graeme

• Mike Grant

November 21, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Graeme, I was about to do that before shutting shop today but had to rush out. I got that info from an American forum. Will try again on Monday.

• Mike Grant

November 25, 2014 at 11:00 am

I have now swapped the ribbons on the print heads and it is no different.
    I have checked the only changeble fuse I can see and it is ok.
    Any more ideas folks, got a few small jobs building up now. 😥

• Phill Fenton

November 25, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Check the pump is pulling ink through (unscrew the waste bottle and watch whilst performing a head clean – also look at the tubes to ensure a flow of ink is taking place)

If no flow – Check the capping station is providing a good seal to allow the pump to pull ink through before condemning the pump or suspecting a blockage somewhere

• Ian Folkson

November 26, 2014 at 10:05 am

I had same problem and it was a fuse blowing on the main board due to a transistor dying. I bought a transistor from Digiprint and 2 removable fuse holders as my fuses were fixed.
    Found someone to solder in a new transistor and put the removable fuse holders on top of the blown fuses and hey presto it works again.

Ian

• Mike Grant

November 26, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Update….
    I crossed over the ribbons from the heads to the little circuit board above them and the head worked. So does this tell me it may be the little circuit board at fault?

*getting somewhere now* 😛

• Paul Hughes

November 27, 2014 at 9:51 am

i would think its the fuse on the main board, there are two of them, one for each head sounds like one of them has blown.

i had the same thing, luckly had roland care at the time and the engineer had some spare fuses and soldered one on, only other option was a new main board, £1000+

sound like you may have to do what ian did, best of luck

Paul

• Ian Folkson

November 27, 2014 at 10:00 am

Thats the same symptoms I had.
    Transistor that is dead is marked with an arrow. Check with a meter all transistors and if one reads different to another with the same number it is dead. Also check if one of the tiny fuses has blown. Photo of removable fuses soldered on top of non removable ones.
    Ian

Attachments:

• Ian Folkson

November 27, 2014 at 10:02 am

fuses

I tried some remote fuses soldered on to the old ones first just in case it was only a fuse but the one connected to the bad transistor blew every time front power was turned on so that led me to the transistor being bad.

Ian

Attachments:

• Mike Grant

December 3, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Thanks for all your input guys, Ian I have had my mate test those parts you mention and they are working ok.

Running into brick wall now 😥

• Kevin Flowers

December 3, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Mike could be them small boards the only real way will be to change the input cables as well as the output cables. If the head doesn’t then work you will know the fault is before those boards, if it works then the small board is naff. Ensure nothing is kriss crossed when you try as you may blow something

Kev