Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers SP300 – over spray on black, advice please?

• SP300 – over spray on black, advice please?

Posted by Paul Hughes on July 4, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Hi All

our sp 300 has developed a problem. the black seems to have a over spray on it, quite bad, makes prints look fussy.

any ideas? i have heard people say static, how do i stop that?

tried different materals all the same.

test print looks OK.

it is only effecting the black.

Paul

Tim Wainwright replied 11 years, 7 months ago 7 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Karl Williams

July 4, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Have you bee printing banners mate? Sometimes the fibers from the edges can attach themselves to the heads giving this spray effect.

• Paul Hughes

July 4, 2012 at 3:33 pm

no banner materal, just vinyl

getting round problem by reseting the black to RGB from CMYK and running the machine faster seems to work better, not solved but a usable print.

Paul

• Robert Lambie

July 4, 2012 at 4:53 pm

try cleaning around the print head with swab soaked in cleaning fluid.
    it maybe fibres as karl mentions or build up of gunk with whisping hairs dangling down.

• NeilFox

July 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm

If you do a test print, do you find that all the black lines are parallel or are they irregular?

If they are irregular, then some of the nozzles are clogged and misdirecting the ink. You may be able to bath the head in the capping station with some cleaning fluid in them and that may dislodge the clogged bits. Other wise it is likely to get worse over time until the head is replaced, which is what I ended up doing with my SP540 at the time.

• Paul Hughes

July 4, 2012 at 6:52 pm

thank all

Neil – the test print is fine, so dont think its the head

rob/karl you may be onto something, the result, but not the root cause.
    i have had a look at the wipers and one is damaged and the other is well worn, got some on order for tomorrow see if that solves it, keep you posted.

Paul

• Ryan McHenry

July 4, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Could it be worth checking the head height?

Ryan

• Karl Williams

July 4, 2012 at 11:09 pm

This is hard to explain mate. But under the head where the flat plate meets the side wall fibers attach there. only tiny ones that are really hard to see. They get trapped.

Attachments:

• Clive Martinez

July 5, 2012 at 11:00 am

That same problem happened to my machine. The head has had it.
    It is more noticeable on high quality settings.
    You can get around the problem by putting low quality settings on the machine.

Other than that you can print at 90% black.
    Only solution is new print head.

It happens more often when using 3rd party inks.

• Tim Wainwright

September 11, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I had the same problem with Magenta and changed to a shorter USB cable the result being i know have slight Black overspray. I have found a poor ‘workaround’ in that if i print only half a page the print out (at 1080) is perfect.

I’m still searching for a solution that doesn’t involve replacing both heads (expensive)…..the ‘only printing half a page’ workaround makes me think its a data issue but the USB shortening and change of overspray colour makes me think its a Earthing or Data issue…

All help gratefully accepted !!
    Tim