Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers SP-540i printing problem banding and poor quality

• SP-540i printing problem banding and poor quality

Posted by Adrian.Walton on November 24, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Hi All

Hope someone can shed some light on this problem, i got the sp-540i brand new in May using the max 3 inks and tbh i have never been totally happy with the print quality, i had a vp-540 for around 9 years and always printed perfect, i had a problem with the sp within a couple of months so a roland engineer came out and replaced a head but it hasn’t really got any better, the banding is difficult to describe but hopefully the attachment image gives you the idea.

If i export my file as a jpeg this problem doesn’t seem to happen but with eps or pdf files it prints like the image.

Thanks
    Ady

Attachments:

Dan Osterbery replied 7 years, 3 months ago 7 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Simon Worrall

November 25, 2016 at 12:48 am

Hi Ady
    which direction is the banding?

• Adrian.Walton

November 25, 2016 at 8:49 am

Hi, it’s across the 1370 width, following the head direction.

• Jackoloughlin

November 25, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I recognise the problem. But it varies with the material? Also,Check your before and after heater temperatures.

• Samuel Przystarz

November 25, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Hi Ady,
    I used to have this kind of banding mostly due to the ink starvation. When that was fixed we still could not print on OWV and roll up banner. So you need to determine whether you have this issue across all your medias or just one or two types..
    Now I can see that your feed calibration is little off as you have small banding all over the print, but that is not the problem of the huge banding. I fixed it by bumping the feed speed up to 50 in the profile of the problematic media. I wasted about 10m of rollup banner to fix this, but now I can do 2 meters of solid blue or green without any issues(the most problematic for our sp540i).

• Khaled Sheikh

November 26, 2016 at 11:38 am

Apparently it seems problem with media not printer.
    Also u need to sync ur caliberation and alignment settings. Also leave some media loose on rollers as it pulls easily. Also upload ur test results.
    Try to change different profile.

• Adrian.Walton

January 11, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Hi
    Thanks for your replies regarding my issue, to follow up on what has been happening…..

2 more engineers came out before xmas and pretty much did all they could to rectify my problem, even writing me my own profiles! they left saying see how it goes in the new year and let us know.

Now i have been just been printing some vinyls and the problem has reared it’s ugly head once again, now as you can imagine i am getting really pee’d off now, so my question is to you knowledgeable lot …

Could the printer just be a bad unit, like if you buy say 1000 Audi A4’s there will always be a bad one that breaks down all the time 😉 , and am i in my rights to just demand a new printer as i am still in my 1st years ownership?

Cheers guys

• Chris Wilson

January 11, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Hi Adrian,
    If your not under Roland care already I would go down that route. Even just the bronze package. If it is a faulty unit they should replace it under that care, am 90% certain that is in the terms and conditions, but only once they have exhausted all other options. Which means they could find a fix relatively quickly.

Other than that it depends on the terms and conditions from where you bought the machine. There’s not a lot of protection for this sort of thing as to many things came be pointed out as "user error" so you need to stick to your guns and prove your point the best you can.

I have seen this on black prints that we have done once or twice. It was suggested to me that it could be a static build up as the machine is on thin carpet. Laminate would solve the problem. I have piece of Lino but am yet to put it down. So can’t comment if it does or not.

• Simon Worrall

January 11, 2017 at 8:35 pm

I had this problem on my SP540V, it turned out to be both end roller mounts had cracks in them, thus reducing the pressure that the rollers could put on the media resulting in slippage. It also affected the accuracy of the cutting.

• Dan Osterbery

January 13, 2017 at 11:43 am

2nd that! We had banding issues in blue and grey and swapped left and right pinch rollers and it improved. Also always roll out material to touch the floor behind printer as this helps with static. High Humidity also effects printing.
    Goodluck
    Dan