Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers SP 540i, not printing ‘shadow’ effect??

• SP 540i, not printing ‘shadow’ effect??

Posted by Nick Minnery on February 8, 2012 at 11:56 am

Hi guys

I have a logo with a fine drop shadow in CorelDRAW, when I export it then open it in Roland VersaWorks, the shadow doesn’t seem to be there.

I thought it may just be the graphics card on my PC, so I tried printing it anyway, but the drop shadow is definitely not visable.

Has anyone any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Many thanks

Nick

Alan Drury replied 12 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Gary Birch

February 8, 2012 at 12:01 pm

What file extension are you exporting as? Try a tiff. Tends to sort a lot of problems out.

Cheers

Gary

• Nick Minnery

February 8, 2012 at 12:37 pm
    quote Gary Birch:

What file extension are you exporting as? Try a tiff. Tends to sort a lot of problems out.

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary

Thanks for that. Can VersaWorks open Tiff files ok?

• Gary Birch

February 8, 2012 at 12:38 pm
    quote Nick Minnery:

quote Gary Birch:

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary

Thanks for that. Can VersaWorks open Tiff files ok?

Yes mate

• Nick Minnery

February 8, 2012 at 12:42 pm

[Hi Gary

Thanks for that. Can VersaWorks open Tiff files ok?[/quote]

Yes mate[/quote]

Just tried that, it said ‘unsupported format’

D’oh! 🙁

• Gary Birch

February 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Try and reduce the size of the Tiff. VW definitely will print tiffs

• Nick Minnery

February 8, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Cheers Gary. It worked using jpeg in the end, not sure why it wouldn’t open TIFF. Oh well, sorted now, thanks again.

Nick

• NeilRoss

February 8, 2012 at 3:12 pm
    quote Nick Minnery:

Cheers Gary. It worked using jpeg in the end, not sure why it wouldn’t open TIFF. Oh well, sorted now, thanks again.

Nick

Nick – just a headsup regarding jpeg format. Remember if you export it as as jpeg in compressed mode there will/may be a degree of degradation in quality depending on the degree of compression set, which may spoil the quality of the final artwork. I don’t do digital print myself so can’t say just what level of compression would be safe but I’d be tempted to export with no compression at all.

I realise you may already be aware of this. Otherwise there’s plenty of folk here who will be able to advise – I’m just flagging it up.

• Alan Drury

February 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I use drop shadows in Draw all the time, I either publish to pdf or print to Cute PDF. I send these files to others and everything is fine. Can you send me the cdr file (or upload here if possible) and I will try my end.
    Alan D

• Nick Minnery

February 9, 2012 at 9:03 am

Cheers guys.

Neil, the file was really big, so the quality was pretty spot on. I’m no expert regarding compression etc, but it looked fine. Thanks though.

Alan, I tried to attach the design, but it’s 2.4 MB, too big to upload here. Thanks for offering to take a look though
    😉

Nick

• Alan Drury

February 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

Nick. I can’t put my email address on here but I’m not hard to find with a google search, you can email me direct.
    Alan D