Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Sp 540i Bad Printing: Clear Bands – help needed, please.

• Sp 540i Bad Printing: Clear Bands – help needed, please.

Posted by Daniel Prieto on May 11, 2015 at 1:09 pm

HI there,

I’ve been having this problem with my Roland Sp540i for a while now; but I need to finish an order and it depends on this problem. The thing is I have clear bands appear (that is, bands with less color than the color required) appear on surfaces where I have a plain color. The more intense and the darker the color, the worse it is. I’m pretty sure I’m doing maintenance right, although it may be down to a worn component, I don’t know. I’ve attached an image which shows the problem. Any ideas on how to solve it?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments:

Daniel Prieto replied 8 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Simon Coff

May 11, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Hi Daniel,

Have you done a media feed calibration? Also is it a problem that has gradually got worse?

Another idea would be running unidirectional, it would ultimately be slower but may cure the issue.

Let me know how you get on,

Simon.

• Daniel Prieto

May 11, 2015 at 2:58 pm

I have a preset for the type of media I’m using, but I don’t know how to make a manual one if needed. It’s got a bit worse over time, yeah, but not by much.

I will try running unidirectional and see if that helps 🙂

Thanks for the tips

• Simon Coff

May 11, 2015 at 4:02 pm

No worries, it’s always tough to diagnose without seeing a test print or being there.

Another idea, if you double click on the file in versaworks, then go to printer controls on the left hand side and put it on printer controls.
    Do the calibration on the machine again and this will then use the printer control rather than your preset. The calibration will change as the roll decreases.

Hopefully you’ll see some improvement…

• Daniel Prieto

May 26, 2015 at 10:00 am

Hi again!

Still having the problem. I performed a manual cleaning and test prints still come out perfectly fine. I started printing unidirectional and, at first, it seemed to solve the problem, but shortly afterwards is coming with the bands again. Also, performed the calibration to no avail. If you look very closely you can see in the area where the bands appear, that the colouring seems slightly distorted, and that’s what’s causing the "band" effect in large surfaces of the same colour. In fact, the distorted band goes all along the sheet, but it’s visible from a distance only in areas where you have the exact same color.