Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers Sort of ‘banding’ on my prints – HP L26500

• Sort of ‘banding’ on my prints – HP L26500

Posted by Peter Johnson on April 10, 2017 at 8:09 pm

Hi all.

Printer – HP L26500
    RIP – Wasatch 7.2 HP edition
    OS – Windows XP Pro (old school networking)

This is something that has just recently started to rear it’s ugly head and I have tried everything I can think of (bar getting another printer) to get rid of the issue.

A few weeks ago, I started to get errors from my RIP. Most of my profiles, that I had been using for the last 16-18 months without any issues, started to generate error messages saying that my image file was corrupt. It did this upon opening the file, making any changes to it etc.
    At the same time, some of the colours from my prints started to look grainy (blues, greens mainly). Even with profiles that weren’t reporting any corruption errors.

Did all the usual at this point; printhead cleaning, alignment etc.

I then created several new profiles and started testing on different media, but the results were the same. I tried increasing the number of passes, total ink settings (up and down), turning the OMAS off/on, increasing curing temps, or increased airflow. Tried everything, in various combinations, but the results were still naff.

So I replaced 5 of the 6 printheads (the other one had only recently been swapped out) and I still had the same issues. I suspected the C/LC inks/channels to possibly be at fault and so I even fitted new ink cartridges.

I did get better results, but not perfect. I even completely removed the RIP software (renaming all of the directories that were left) and then re-installed again, just in case the software was somehow corrupt and causing the issue. No change.

And on top of all this, there is this ‘banding’ issue that has appeared. It isn’t a banding issue across the whole print, but only when the printheads go over, or are going to go over, a white line. I have attached an image and hopefully you can see what I mean.

So, as the print reaches point 1 and starts to create the white line of the frame, the blue to the left goes darker.
    When it reaches point 2 and starts to print the black line, the blue goes lighter.
    Then darker at point 3 and then lighter again at point 4 etc.

It’s most noticeable when printing a heavy blue background (hence my suspicion of the C/LC ink and PH’s).

Typically, my extended warranty recently expired, so I’m really not sure how to progress with this other than pay a small fortune for a service. Still have 2 more C/LC printheads, so may just give them a try. Just in case.

Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

ps I can try and get better pics if that will help :smiles:

EDIT/UPDATE: Due to high stress levels and almost total desperation, I decided to replace the C/LC PH’s, as I said I might, and everything is now okay again. Unbelievable.

Hugh Potter replied 7 years ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Hugh Potter

April 11, 2017 at 12:07 pm

I have some very minor banding issues too, particularly on the blues, maybe I’ll replace the heads too!