Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vehicle Wrapping So who's used 3M 2080 wrap vinyl?

• Martyn Heath

September 23, 2022 at 4:09 am

Never used it myself. Where does it sit price wise? guessing top end more than avery

• David Stevenson

September 29, 2022 at 8:48 am

Hi Martyn, It’s coming in here around £21 per metre so not too bad. A bit cheaper than Avery. Waiting for a sample of gloss black to arrive to see how that handles. We do a lot of roof wraps and de-chrome / chrome delete here so will be interesting to see the results

• Myriam Garrido

September 30, 2022 at 11:43 am

Would be cool to see the finished result David. (hubby has a Granturismo and considering wrapping it)

• Tim Hobbs

September 23, 2022 at 12:05 pm

I’ve used it. Particularly love the matte black.

• RobertLambie

Administrator
    September 25, 2022 at 5:34 pm

I have used it also and I agree it’s a great wrapping vinyl.
    Not sure exactly where it sits price-wise at the moment because I recall some recent increases for 3M, but I think it was similarly priced to Avery Supreme if not a little less.

Performance-wise, as I say, it’s a great vinyl and has a lovely gloss finish, but like “all” wrapping vinyl, they have pros and cons. i.e. some work well in cooler environments, some are poor. some remove better than others etc. It really is a preference thing at the end of the day.

Personally, I think Avery Supreme has a slight edge over 3M 1080 based on how I like to work with vinyl installing it. But that’s a personal preference. That said, some Avery colours are over transparent whilst some of their special affect materials like matt metallics and brushed really shouldn’t be classed in the same class. Metallics in general are much more temperamental and perform differently.

Arlons new colour change range should also be considered. Comes in at a decent price and performs well, even in cooler temperatures.

Just to add as a disclaimer. I know fine well I am repeating the temperature issue of some films. Fact is, all vinyl wrap should be fitted within a temperature-controlled room or it will invite installation issues and void any “so-called” Warranties.

• David Stevenson

October 2, 2022 at 9:34 am

Here’s a few pics of the finished results. Wrapped with 3M 2080 Matt dark grey. All chrome trims have been wrapped with Avery Supreme gloss black. Customers absolutely delighted. Cars going now to get the rear windows tinted and have the wheels sprayed black. The guy loved driving it but was bored with its original colour (black with chrome trims). Saved him a small fortune by getting it wrapped. That’ll keep him happy for a while.

• Mark Johnston

October 2, 2022 at 9:53 pm

Sweet. thats the dogs nuts David. nice one!

• Peter Cassidy

October 3, 2022 at 10:44 am

very smart, that looks great david.

i have never done “chrome delete” and to be honest, i don’t fancy it mate. looks far too time consuming.

• David Stevenson

October 24, 2022 at 9:07 pm

Chrome deletes were never a thing we’d intended to get involved in but during Covid times and a downturn in business a local car dealer offered us some work and we couldn’t turn. You could say we accidently got good at them. It is a horrible job though. Nothing worse than making a wrong cut and a speck of chrome showing. Means having to remove and re-wrap that part in most cases which is a bitter pill to swallow.

• Karen White

October 6, 2022 at 7:22 am

that is lovely david, really nice and no wonder your customer loved it. ❤
    i wouldn’t know where to start and especially on the bumper! 🤨

• David Stevenson

October 24, 2022 at 9:11 pm

Hi Karen. I done a wrapping course a while back and after a steep and expensive (mistakes) learning curve think I’ve got the hang of it. Problem in our town is most people expect a wrap to cost a few hundred quid rather than over a grand in most cases.