Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers Skewed prints on L26500

• Skewed prints on L26500

Posted by John Dorling on October 31, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Hi All

I am printing a tiled file which consists of 8 no 954mm x 2360mm panels. They are tiled in Onyx from a single JPEG.

My problem is that each tile is skewed on one side by up to 10 mm. This is not bowing, as although it is happening in the direction of the print, the leading edge of the print itself is straight. Basically is is turning each tile into a parallelogram.

When we cut the long edge to the crop marks, and butt the panels up, panel numbr 8 will be way out height wise compared to panel number one.

Is there a setting which needs adjusting as I know some of you are printing wallpaper with no problems. I am printing onto pop-up media which is suitable for latex.

Thanks

John

George Zerbino replied 10 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Chris Wool

October 31, 2013 at 7:19 pm

If the encoder strip is dirty it will step sideways on each pass . If you mean the media is straight but the prints are skewed

• Jamie Dale

November 1, 2013 at 11:09 pm

yes exactly as chris said this has happened to me a few times also, except mines ended up being the wee sensor that must have been dirty, for Rolands they are only about 30quid+vat so I would assume the same for yours if it’s that that is the problem.

• John Dorling

November 1, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Thanks for the replies. The prints are skewed in the feed direction not the scan direction. Could this still be an encoder strip issue? Apart from the skewing the prints are perfect!

John

• Jamie Dale

November 1, 2013 at 11:23 pm

could you upload an image of a print coming out the printer, I highly doubt the linear encoder would cause this to happen as that ain’t the linear encoders purpose on the machine in relation to feed… you might think I’m daft here… but are you you aligning the media up correctly so it doesn’t pull it through squinty which would cause it to do what you are saying.

• David Rowland

November 2, 2013 at 11:00 am

if you can print a massive box measure it on very low heat… then i think u need to ring HP who will put u thru to art systems.

• George Zerbino

November 4, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Had something very similar happen to me not that long ago, so try cleaning the omas sensor. Mine was not dirty enough that the printer would say it wasn’t working, but dirty enough to give a wrong reading and the printer would advance the material stretching it by about 1% (so a one metre print was 1cm oversize).
    Worth a try!

Regards,
    George

• John Dorling

November 5, 2013 at 9:11 am

Hi George

Thanks I will give that a go. i also wondered if the material might just be stretching with the heat, but the expansion is not uniform. For example a 2360mm x 954mm print was 954mm wide all the way down, but on one size might would be 2360, and on the other side 2372!

John

• George Zerbino

November 5, 2013 at 9:32 am

That’s what I thought initially, so I placed some 100mm markers on the edge of the vinyl prior to printing it, as it was a new vinyl for me.
    Over a 2 metre print the markers were perfect, but the printed image was 2cm longer, but that was the same along both edges lenghtways.
    I cannot figure out what may cause what you’re experiencing, it almost sound more like a rip problem? The encoder would cause a distortion along the width of the roll (printhead direction) whilst the omas in my case caused the distortion along the length of the roll (feed direction), unless it’s a combination of both but I don’t think that would be it.

If I think of anything else I’ll let you know.

Cheers
    George