• Signology 2003

Posted by Jeffrey P. Lang on June 25, 2003 at 6:58 pm

Hello,
    I haven’t noticed any mention of the letterheads meet being held in Cork in August, so I thought I would do so.
    Signology 2003 is a 3 day event being held in the signwriting dept of the FÁS Training Center August 8-10.
    sidenote: The ’99 meet was held there, Gerry Fitzgibbon, Len De La Cour, & Noel McKenna showed everyone their instructional habitat, what an impressive venue.
    Peter McCullen will be hosting the event, & I have contacted him about attending, at:
    siroccodesign@ireland.com
    It looks to be a fine meet, projects & seminars a plenty:
    Environmental Design
    Sign Business Management
    Diversifying Sign Businesses
    Selling Techniques
    Letterheads Magazine
    Glass Pictorials
    Hand Lettering
    Air Brush Use
    Glass Gilding
    3d Signage
    Carving Signfoam
    Trompe L’eoil… & others.
    An excellent craftsman & designer, Gary Godby, will be designing a wall mural, Tomas Tuppier, from Clontakilty will be sharing his knowledge, Nancy & Noella from Sign It, in Cornwall, Canada, to mention a few names. There will be glass restoration of pieces dating from the early 1900’s, the manufacturing of signage for Kilkenny City, the original proposed site of the meet.
    One important note Peter had mentioned, the proceeds from the meet will go to the family of Eoin Quigly, as some of you may know, passed away last December.
    Peter has answered all of my inquiries, directed me to lodging, & whatever I needed.
    I hope I finally get to meet some of you there.

Jeff

Kevin.Beck replied 20 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

June 26, 2003 at 8:54 pm

Great stuff mate.. thanks for the info on the meet!
    Well worth making the effort to attend if anyone can make it. 😛

Im sure i have read some of you guys are going am i right? Who’s going?
    Wish i had the time and it was a little closer ide love to attend. Come to think of it,
    i can hardly moan about distance when Jeff & many others are coming from the states 😮 😆

• Jeffrey P. Lang

July 9, 2003 at 2:15 am

Just a month from today.
    Am I going to meet anyone from this forum?
    I can’t wait! I’m going to take a 7 day vacation after the meet & would like to stop by some sign shops in Ireland.
    Any takers?
    Jeff

• Jeffrey P. Lang

August 7, 2003 at 4:50 am

Heading out tomorrow to the conferrence.
    I assume nobody from this forum is going, I’d still like to stop by & see some sign shops from the area.
    Lot to learn at this one! 😀
    It’s not too late!
    Jeff

• Steve Broughton

August 7, 2003 at 6:28 am

Would love to go but can’t afford it this year 🙁 with ferries, the price of the meet, accommadation, beer money 😆 you’re looking well over £600, so I’m gonna save that and have two weeks in the med for the same amount. Paul Rafferty and his dad Dennis will be going so say hello to him from me and Terry Colley and Cam Bortz.

• Bob Gilliland

August 12, 2003 at 11:33 pm

Steve,

Where’s your priorities man; a weekend meet or two weeks in the med! Have lots-o-fun for the two weeks!! 😉 😀

Seriously, any “news” or “pix” from the event? I know some of the American contingent wont be returning for a few days, doing the “tourist” type thing while over there, so event information State side has been slim to none.

How about from some of the folks over there, anybody got stories, pictures, or news to share?

• Kevin.Beck

August 13, 2003 at 7:19 am

Hey Bob.

How about you coming over the pond to “do” a few of your famous talks etc.???

I`m sure you`d get a good response.

• Bob Gilliland

August 13, 2003 at 8:54 pm

Be careful what you ask for; once you get me talking, I don’t shut up. Just ask Mike!

Keep your eye’s and ears open, you just never know when this “yank” will sprout some wings and jump across the big water puddle. (Although, it won’t be happening anytime this year as the plate is just to full. Perhaps sometime around Sign UK next year??…)

• Kevin.Beck

August 14, 2003 at 5:32 pm

Bob.

It woud be great if you could do a demo/lecture @ sign UK.

This year there was a photoshop demo, not my cup of tea, so I skipped it.

I`m sure you would have a packed house if you were to come over. Purhaps, you could bring your edge too.