• Sign UK 2007

Posted by Jim McManus on January 15, 2007 at 9:18 am

I have just read the post on the live demos at sign uk this year and was wondering how many of you attend this show. I went last year just for the one day and being very new to the whole thing, found some great info and contacts. Do most of you who go just do the one day, or do you tend to stay over for more days, and more importantly, is there a place where you meet up. Would be a great opportunity to meet the people who make the boards such a fantastic place. This year I am intending staying, I think, If I can get accommodation – might even bring my wife!

Jim

David Rowland replied 17 years ago 26 Members · 87 Replies
  • 87 Replies
  • Nicola McIntosh

January 15, 2007 at 9:33 am

hi jim you will get all the info u need in the uksb members section signuk 2007 😀

nik

• Marcella Ross

January 15, 2007 at 9:36 am

Hi Jim, we meet on the middle day of the show. (The 2nd May I think this year????) Last year we all met up at the Europoint stand then headed for the bar. A large group of us stayed in the same hotel and had a great night!
    As Nik has just pointed out, there’s info in the UKSG discussion forum.

Marcella

• Robert Lambie

January 15, 2007 at 10:35 am

hi jim
    as a newcomer to the trade i am glad you enjoyed the show mate.
    as has been said we do all meet up on day two. email me at admin@uksignboards.com and i will get back to you with relevant info.
    look forward to meeting up with you.

one thing…. just a tip. but you will need to load your profile picture now so we all know who you are at the show :lol1:

• John Childs

January 15, 2007 at 12:18 pm

Hi Jim.

Well, some go for more than one day but that tends to be those with business interests there. Most of us mere signmakers make do with one day.

My plan of action is to arrive about midday, be in the bar by 1.00 pm, and spend the afternoon there before retiring to the hotel for a few drinks and a chat with my colleagues.

Woo Hoo. (drink1)

• Jim McManus

January 15, 2007 at 3:20 pm

Thanks guys, lookin forward to meeting you all. Rob, I know, the picture thing has to get done soon, just tend to avoid cameras as much as poss, but I know I prefer to see a picture of who I,m talking to so I will get it sorted.

Cheers,

Jim

• Karl Williams

January 15, 2007 at 4:20 pm

See you all there!

• Martin Pearson

January 15, 2007 at 5:36 pm

come on Jim, get your picture loaded. No excuses, if I am brave enough to put a picture of myself on the forum then no-one has an excuse !!

• Cheryl Smith

January 15, 2007 at 7:23 pm

for all we know without your pic, you could be a GIRL! as far as your name goes, it could be short for Jimmima.

• Jim McManus

January 15, 2007 at 7:49 pm

Only on Fridays Cheryl!

• David Rowland

January 15, 2007 at 8:21 pm

well lets put it this way… the people on this board who use nicknames and don’t load a picture get ignored at signuk!!! it did happen, you get recognised very easy at signuk

• Marcella Ross

January 15, 2007 at 8:22 pm

Dave, you were easily recognised! 😀 It was just that none of us realised how tall you are! :lol1:

• David Rowland

January 15, 2007 at 8:24 pm

yeah…you stood out very easily too!

• Marcella Ross

January 15, 2007 at 8:26 pm
    quote Dave Rowland:

yeah…you stood out very easily too!

don’t think I want to ask why …….. 🙄

• Robert Lambie

January 15, 2007 at 8:34 pm

Dave only notice me when i screamed, right after he stood on me :lol1:

i agree though… god knows how many people must have thought i was ignorant git when they introduced themselves… and i stood with a blank stare on my face. thing is… if you use a nickname and no picture, how can possibly tell who is who? :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

please please please… load a picture or change and if you wouldn’t mind… make your name your real one.
    if you fancy it, email me at admin@uksignboards.com attach your picture and tell me your username. ill do the rest. 😀

• Rob H

January 15, 2007 at 9:30 pm

as a newbie to the world of signs, i really wanted to go to this event as it could be an eye opener for me but my mrs is due with our first child on this date so i cant leave her. (:)

• Lynn Normington

January 15, 2007 at 9:37 pm

Rob h, bring her with you we have a couple of nurses on board 😀 😀
    congratulations by the way.

Lynn

• David Rowland

January 15, 2007 at 10:32 pm

all that walking around (and to) the NEC may start her off lol

• Lee Ballard

January 16, 2007 at 12:48 am

But the show won’t admit anyone under 16 so better not have til leaving 😀

I know I say it every year but I WILL make it this year, honest :lol1:

• Robert Lambie

January 16, 2007 at 1:08 am

you will miss a great day and great night if you don’t go… :lol1:

• Shane Drew

January 16, 2007 at 5:51 am
    quote Robert Lambie:

you will miss a great day and great night if you don’t go… :lol1:

yeah thanks for the reminder rob 😥 😥 😥

• Cheryl Smith

January 16, 2007 at 8:11 am

get on a Plane Shane, come n join us. its a small world nowadays. Thats what I keep telling myself when I think of my best friend emigrating to New Zealand this year!

• Chris Windebank

January 16, 2007 at 9:16 am

looking forward to meeting most of you at Sign UK, when and where do you all meet? Can’t find details on the site sorry!
    Also Rob, I have asked to change my company name to my individual names but nothing yet!
    Cheers all
    Chris

• David Rowland

January 16, 2007 at 9:48 am

More the merrier! :lol1: :lol1:

• Gareth.Lewis

January 16, 2007 at 10:13 am

Jim,

Do what I did, try uploading a photo of you with somebody else, it might soften the blow. Though, maybe, you really are one of the many, many bald, light grey skinned members on here that look best photographed from the side.

Gareth

• Harry Cleary

January 16, 2007 at 10:55 am
    quote Rob H:

as a newbie to the world of signs, i really wanted to go to this event as it could be an eye opener for me but my mrs is due with our first child on this date so i cant leave her. (:)

If the baby was born in the NEC, would that mean you would have to go out and move the car from ‘Expectant Mothers’ to ‘Mother and Child’????? 😀 😀

• Shane Drew

January 16, 2007 at 12:08 pm
    quote Cheryl Smith:

get on a Plane Shane, come n join us. its a small world nowadays. Thats what I keep telling myself when I think of my best friend emigrating to New Zealand this year!

It was the plan last year, that I was going this year, but it is not to be I’m afraid.

My Dad (and my right hand man) collapsed at work on Friday and has been in hospital since, so I’m thinking 2007 may be a bit harder for me this year. Money is a bit tight too, so I don’t want to spend any money if I can avoid it 😕 Maybe next year 😉 Also the Aussie dollar v the English pound is not too flash either 😥

• Karl Williams

January 16, 2007 at 12:10 pm

Hope your dads ok soon!!!!!!!!

• Harry Cleary

January 16, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Hope it works out Shane.

• Martin Pearson

January 16, 2007 at 1:32 pm

Shane, sorry to hear about your Dad, I hope things work out OK for you fairly quickly. I know all about being ill as you know so I have my fingers crossed he makes a speedy recovery.

You never know its still only mid January so May is a couple of months away, you may still be able to make it in time. I know there are a lot of people who use these boards that would like to meet you in person.

• Warren Beard

January 16, 2007 at 1:37 pm

Hi guys

I’m new to this and have already applied for leave to be there, I am really looking forward to it and meeting up with all you fine people.

I am amazed sometimes how friendly and close some of you seem to be from the posts I read, seems like you have been friends for many many years.

Where are the best places to stay in Birmingham? My wife and son might want to come too for a get away.

Warren

• Karl Williams

January 16, 2007 at 3:38 pm

Warren,
    Are you trying to get your young one to follow in his dads footsteps. At 6 months old it may be a bit young to get him operating a sign system! :baby: :baby: :baby:

• Warren Beard

January 16, 2007 at 4:27 pm
    quote KARL WILLIAMS:

Warren,
    Are you trying to get your young one to follow in his dads footsteps. At 6 months old it may be a bit young to get him operating a sign system! :baby: :baby: :baby:

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Nice one Karl, as long as I can make my footsteps "BIG" footsteps then yes, otherwise he will have to find a job to help support me. :lol1:

• Karl Williams

January 16, 2007 at 4:30 pm

Ive got every faith in you young man!

• Warren Beard

January 16, 2007 at 4:53 pm
    quote KARL WILLIAMS:

Ive got every faith in you young man!

😀 Thanks mate, I know I am really going to enjoy this trade as I love artistic stuff and working with my hands, so it has both. I just hope I can balance work satisfaction with good income.

• Karl Williams

January 16, 2007 at 5:27 pm

:lol1: :lol1: Are you planning on getting a 2nd job delivering pizzas?

• Warren Beard

January 16, 2007 at 6:18 pm
    quote KARL WILLIAMS:

:lol1: :lol1: Are you planning on getting a 2nd job delivering pizzas?

well if that’s what it takes, :lol1:

• Karl Williams

January 16, 2007 at 6:39 pm

Look at this site. http://www.cardellmedia.co.uk It’s a marketing website and I think it’s spot on for advice. I’ve followed many of his tips and suggestions
    and can say he’s got it right.

Good luck matey.
    Karl.

• Warren Beard

January 16, 2007 at 7:39 pm
    quote KARL WILLIAMS:

Look at this site. http://www.cardellmedia.co.uk It’s a marketing website and I think it’s spot on for advice. I’ve followed many of his tips and suggestions
    and can say he’s got it right.

Good luck matey.
    Karl.

Interesting stuff that, I will have a good read later.

Thanks mate
    Warren

• Shane Drew

January 16, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Thanks friends, Dad was discharged last night.

quote martin:

You never know its still only mid January so May is a couple of months away, you may still be able to make it in time. I know there are a lot of people who use these boards that would like to meet you in person.

Chances me saving the air fare between now and may is pretty slim martin 😥 Worth thinking about though…. I’d love to actually shake hands with you lot rather than just looking at an avatar. 😉

• Marcella Ross

January 16, 2007 at 10:03 pm

we’re much younger, gorgeous and funnier in real life Shane ……… Especially George Elsmore 😀

• Warren Beard

January 16, 2007 at 10:06 pm
    quote Marcella:

we’re much younger, gorgeous and funnier in real life Shane ……… Especially George Elsmore 😀

Is this before or after meeting at the pub ? :lol1:

• Marcella Ross

January 16, 2007 at 10:09 pm

oh definitely after! 😀

• Lynn Normington

January 16, 2007 at 10:14 pm

Shane I don’t want to shake hands with you 🙄 I would expect the biggest cuddle I’ve ever had from some one I have never met, but consider to be one of my best friends 😳

Lynn

• Shane Drew

January 17, 2007 at 4:37 am
    quote Lynn:

I would expect the biggest cuddle I’ve ever had from some one I have never met, but consider to be one of my best friends 😳

Lynn

😳 Thanks Lynn, what a nice thing to say 😳 I’d be scared of Peter giving me a hiding if I give you a really big cuddle tho 😉

• Karl Williams

January 17, 2007 at 10:09 am

If Shane can’t afford to come I think it would be good to have a whip-round chaps! Lets get his ar$e on that plane! I want to see peter give him a cuddle! 😀 😀 😀 😀

• George Elsmore

January 17, 2007 at 10:18 am
    quote Marcella:

oh definitely after! 😀

are you casting aspersions on my good character Marcella!!!!!

I resemble that remark!!!

• David Rowland

April 10, 2007 at 11:05 pm

So who else is going to SignUK?…. only a few weeks away now

• Garrie

April 10, 2007 at 11:20 pm

i’ll be there 😛

just look out for a fat ugly geordie with long blondie hair :lol1:

• John Macdonald

April 14, 2007 at 10:24 pm

I registered tonight and hope all goes well and I can go. I will try and upload a picture and really hope I can meet some of you.

Best wishes.

• David Rowland

April 14, 2007 at 10:31 pm

welcome john.

• Marcella Ross

April 15, 2007 at 8:26 am
    quote John Macdonal:

I registered tonight and hope all goes well and I can go. I will try and upload a picture and really hope I can meet some of you.

Best wishes.

Yeah, load a pic then meet us all in the bar at 1pm on the wednesday to say hello! 😀

• John Macdonald

April 16, 2007 at 11:26 am

Hello again

Thanks for the welcome

I have not had confirmation for my ticket to the exhibition and I need to book my train tickets soon.

I am also thinking of staying over for Tuesday and Wednesday. Now Im sure you would have heard this question a lot but is there plenty of accommodation around Birmingham international.

Thanks again

John Macdonald

• Lorraine Clinch

April 16, 2007 at 11:44 am

Hi John

My tickets only arrived today, and I booked ages ago.

Regarding rooms, you probably need to contact Rob Lambie direct now.

we are all meeting on the 2nd May.

• John Macdonald

April 16, 2007 at 11:53 am

this may sound foolish but can you give me the link or phone number for Robert please

• Lorraine Clinch

April 16, 2007 at 12:00 pm
  • Neil Davey

April 16, 2007 at 12:21 pm

My ticket arrived today too.

Probably only be able to make it to the show on the Thursday.

• Chris Stansfield

April 17, 2007 at 9:50 am

i’ll be going, not sure what day, ticket has arrived so all ready now

• Jill Marie Welsh

April 17, 2007 at 10:50 am

Try to hold down the fort without me this year!
    Remember to wear comfortable shoes as you will do lots of walking.
    Last year it was the last possible place away from the airport in that building!
    I spent most of the day in my stocking feet.
    Love….Jill

• Marcella Ross

April 17, 2007 at 10:57 am
    quote Jillbeans:

Remember to wear comfortable shoes as you will do lots of walking.
    I spent most of the day in my stocking feet.
    Love….Jill

you did ………..! The only walking I do is from the airport to the venue ……. then I sit in the bar 😉

• David Rowland

April 17, 2007 at 5:23 pm

Should be no bother getting in SignUK, you can register at the gate normally, although fast track ticket works…. oh and about £20 parking charge!!!!!

• Martin Pearson

April 17, 2007 at 5:31 pm

Yer the parking charges for the NEC are a bit steep aren’t they, they must make an absolute fortune from parking charges because despite the high cost the place is always busy.

• David Rowland

April 17, 2007 at 5:36 pm

yep, another reason to go by train!

• John Macdonald

April 17, 2007 at 6:06 pm

I’m going by train from euston on wednesday morning. Just need to get a nights stay sorted.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

• David_Evans

April 17, 2007 at 6:07 pm

£20 that does seem abit steep. unfortunatly we can only make it on the thursday as we have the 15 hour drive from Tignes in the alps so will miss most of you. 🙁 . Maybe next year!

• Karl Williams

April 17, 2007 at 6:26 pm

£20 (?) Wasn’t it only £7 last year?

• Robert Lambie

April 17, 2007 at 6:35 pm

john i will contact you regarding accommodation over the next day or so.
    Dave, why £20 mate? its £6 parking and if your staying overnight most (not all) hotels have free parking.

paying charges like this is annoying i agree, but its all tax deductible.

i often see comments about attending the show being costly, entry is FREE… 😀

• Jill Marie Welsh

April 17, 2007 at 6:36 pm

Yeah, and just think of all the free squeegies and other hand-outs you get.
    Damn I wish I was going…it’s just not quite worth a flight across the pond to get a few L’il Chizlers tho!
    🙂
    Love….Jill

• John Macdonald

April 17, 2007 at 6:52 pm

Thanks Robert

Looking more forward now

• John Childs

April 17, 2007 at 6:56 pm
    quote Dave Rowland:

yep, another reason to go by train!

Or bike. 😀

• David Rowland

April 17, 2007 at 7:33 pm

ah…. i think i remember the fine

• Lynn Normington

April 17, 2007 at 7:37 pm

Dave are you in this world 🙄 what fine (?)

Lynn

• David Rowland

April 17, 2007 at 7:38 pm

parking fine

• Robert Lambie

April 17, 2007 at 7:57 pm

parking "fine" or "fee"?
    if it was fee, you must have parked the train in the car park to get charged £20 :lol1:

• Lynn Normington

April 17, 2007 at 8:01 pm

exactly how can you get a parking fine when you travel by train 🙄

Lynn

• David Rowland

April 17, 2007 at 9:49 pm

7 years ago… we tried to leave printwear and promotion, big argument at gate barrier as we didn’t buy the ticket… think we got away with it tho, i cant remember clearly

• Martin Pearson

April 17, 2007 at 11:22 pm

Dave, now you have confessed you will probably find a 7 year old parking ticket waiting for you when you sign in, with interest of course :lol1:

• David Rowland

April 18, 2007 at 7:23 am

he he

• Dave Harrison

April 18, 2007 at 3:05 pm

got my tickets. . going to stay away from the Bar though. . . ! A few beers and I have a habit of getting on the wrong train home. . . I can just see it now. . get on train feeling merry. . take a seat. . . . gentle rocking motion sends me to sleep. . . wake up in Glasgow 😳

• Marcella Ross

April 18, 2007 at 3:09 pm
    quote Dave Harrison:

take a seat. . . . gentle rocking motion sends me to sleep. . . wake up in Glasgow 😳

you could end up somewhere a lot worse than Glasgow 😀 We’re a friendly bunch us Glaswegians!!!!!! :lol1:

• George Elsmore

April 18, 2007 at 3:10 pm

😮 yeah right!!!!

• Marcella Ross

April 18, 2007 at 3:19 pm

hey Elsmore ……….. I’m your bestestest friend in the whole wide world (so you keep telling me) and I’m Glaswegian ……….. you keep telling me how nice and friendly I am. 😮

• George Elsmore

April 18, 2007 at 3:21 pm

maybe i lie occasionally 🙂

• Marcella Ross

April 18, 2007 at 3:24 pm
    quote George Elsmore:

maybe i lie occasionally 🙂

mmmmm …………. me thinks you do you little toad!!!!!!!!!!

• George Elsmore

April 18, 2007 at 3:28 pm

RIBBIT………sorry thats a frog :lol1:

• David Rowland

April 18, 2007 at 6:47 pm
    quote Dave Harrison:

got my tickets. . going to stay away from the Bar though. . . ! A few beers and I have a habit of getting on the wrong train home. . . I can just see it now. . get on train feeling merry. . take a seat. . . . gentle rocking motion sends me to sleep. . . wake up in Glasgow 😳

You actually end up in Birmingham New Street which is 20minutes away! 😀 😀

i did fall asleep on the way back to devon…. better the falling asleep at the wheel tho

• John Macdonald

April 20, 2007 at 7:00 pm

Got my ticket today so am just waiting for accomodation advice else I will sleep in the airport next door.

• David Rowland

April 20, 2007 at 10:20 pm

So hows the Flight Plans shane? Only got a few weeks left?